Our Gas Free Miles Travelled

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JoeS said:
misterbleepy said:
misterbleepy said:
My iOn is 3 3/4 years old, and now has 25,551 miles on the clock, and is still serving us very well.
It's coping with the extra weight of a 4th passenger without a problem (a dog in the boot).
We just part-exchanged the iOn for a new VW ID.3.
It served us well for just over 8 years, during which we put just under 50,000 miles on it.
MisterBleepy, sorry to see you go and thanks for your contributions over the years. VW has elected to exclude the ID.3 from the US - pity, as there are few new small BEVs in this country, the Mini-E being a fun example.
I plan on popping in occasionally - there's always a few interesting posts to read.
The ID.3 is nice, and seems very quick (we have the 200+hp version, with a 58Kwh battery).
Externally it is a similar size to our Renault Zoe (which has a 52Kwh battery), but it seems so much bigger inside.
Both cars are a lot of fun to drive (as was the iOn) but they are so much wider, and that's taking a little time to adjust to, especially on the narrow country lanes in this part of the world.

Thx for stopping by, Mr Bleepy.
MR BEAN is likely to rollover 130,000 miles in July, just in time for a new mistress.
He's been demoted to the second most-used car in our household for two years now (having put over 30k miles on a Kia Soul EV during that time), but he's still my wife's daily driver.
My daughter gets her drivers license in a few weeks, when a new chapter begins for the Bean!
Long Live the Bean! (God Save the Bean) :?
-Jay

My little i just passed 200,000 km today, three weeks shy of its 8th birthday. I am going to surprise it by replacing its two most degraded cells for its birthday.

Bear is now at 50,822 miles.
Photon (my Bolt) recently surpassed 41,000 miles.
Koorz is close to 27,000 miles, having 19,300 miles on when I purchased it in 2015.
The Model 3 joined the family at 12,500 miles and is now at 15,059 miles, having already done two 300+ mile day trips.

All in all, I'm sitting at 102,000 miles of electric driving since 2013. On my drive in this morning, I set a new personal record in that I traveled 18.7 miles and only used 3 miles off the RR gauge (went from 54 to 51), courtesy of bad conditions last night and a stiff tail wind this morning. I've still yet to beat my best RR of 96 miles, and unless I get a new pack, I doubt I'll ever see a number in the 90's again. That record was set shortly after getting a new pack on a very hot day with heavy traffic all the way into Pittsburgh.

Our original 2012 SE just found a new home - It has just over 35,000 miles on it. We gifted it to our daughter in law who now has her first car!

Approaching our ten year anniversary of I-MiEV ownership at the end of this mont, MR BEAN has racked up over 125k miles. The 2012 collision-salvage battery that I swapped in a couple of years ago at 106k miles has now given almost 20k miles of service in its second life, and after my wife’s sedate driving in 45 degree rain, still returns an RR of 77! (38 Ah according to the MUT III).
Charge On!
-Jay

I'm coming up on 6.5 years since I bought my Silver I-Miev used. It had 2,100 miles when I bought it and it now has 62k miles. So I've put 60k on it myself but Mitsubishi did thankfully replaced the battery pack back in March of 2017.

I thought I would be driving my new 2021 Bolt by now but my wife's father has been ill lately and she had been driving the Bolt nearly everyday to help out which is a 100 mile round trip commute. I've been thankful the bolt was on sale last April instead of paying the usual stepped up car shortage prices we've had this year.

Can you imagine if she drove her 2003 Ford Explorer everyday with our nearly $5 gas? :? The Ford generally gets about 15 mpg but with rooftop solar (and the Bolt) we pay very little, mostly the amortization cost of the solar plus a $6 daily bridge toll.

Btw: The Bolt has 14,500 miles on it in less than 8 months! :eek: Most of it put on by my wife. Gas around here is at least $4.50 per gallon so... if she kept up her driving with the Ford, we're talking about $4,350 in gas! :shock:

Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Four years and 47k miles! And hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Five years and just under 51k miles!

RR today = 50 after a full charge. :roll:

Canion ah: 29.1 as of the last screen shot a month or so ago. :roll:

In any event, hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Six years and 53k+ miles.

RR today and chilly for Phoenix: 51.

Not as much usage due to COVID.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a Happy New Year!

Seven years and 55,515 miles, (RR 45), mileage this year: 2,353, Ah: 26.4 per Canion. Though, this year we seem to have experienced some noticeable degradation, even with not so much use. :(

Between the Volt and the iMiev, we are well over 100,000 miles of electric driving.

Hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Phximiev said:
Five years and just under 51k miles!

RR today = 50 after a full charge. :roll:

Canion ah: 29.1 as of the last screen shot a month or so ago. :roll:

In any event, hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Six years and 53k+ miles.

RR today and chilly for Phoenix: 51.

Not as much usage due to COVID.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a Happy New Year!

Seven years and 55,515 miles, (RR 45), mileage this year: 2,353, Ah: 26.4 per Canion. Though, this year we seem to have experienced some noticeable degradation, even with not so much use. :(

Between the Volt and the iMiev, we are well over 100,000 miles of electric driving.

Hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D
RR today with chilly weather in Phoenix: 42.

Eight years and 58,154 miles. I didn't measure with Canion, too lazy, and its obvious that the battery is declining. :(

The Volt on the other hand, is approaching 100k miles and is hanging in there quite well!

But, beyond that, we hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

MR BEAN is just shy of 141k miles and flashed the turtle under heavy load this week while at 50% SOC, a sure sign of a weak cell. Sure enough , the capacity that measured 35 Ah only 7k miles ago is now down to 27.9 Ah and the voltage differential between the highest and lowest cell grew to 0.11V under a 5 kw heater load. This pack has been in the BEAN for 35 k miles now, so a decent second-life service.

Next comes either a non-DCFC 2012 pack with 39.8 Ah after 31k miles, or the cherry 43 Ah pack I pulled from a 2014 with only 14k miles.
Thing is, the 2014 battery has 1 less pin populated in the grey 8-pin data connector. I still have to compare BCM part numbers and pin outs, but am inclined to try and hook up the 2014 pack to see what happens.

Place your bets!

jray3 said:
Next comes either a non-DCFC 2012 pack with 39.8 Ah after 31k miles, or the cherry 43 Ah pack I pulled from a 2014 with only 14k miles.
Thing is, the 2014 battery has 1 less pin populated in the grey 8-pin data connector. I still have to compare BCM part numbers and pin outs, but am inclined to try and hook up the 2014 pack to see what happens.

Place your bets!

Great to have a choice, just wondering though if there is a chance the 2012 pack is still made up of the original LEV50 cells?

But if Mr Bean already ran on LEV50N then my money is on the newer pack.

The 2014 pack went in easy with no keying of the data harness connectors, and immediately started delivering new-ish performance, with sustained 45 kW on the first DCFC, very well-balanced cells, and RR that climbed from 29 to 60 over the first few cycles. HowEVer, the reported Ah capacity hasn’t budged with 6 cycles done so far. Last time there was a full two weeks of driving before the BMS settled out, so will see, but the job is at least a 95% success, as the car drives and charges like new, with great RR. More to come….
I’m guessing that the extra wire was a redundant ground connection, as no errors appeared. One interesting note was that the stainless “window screen” on the 2012 splash trays that’s used for grounding and fault detection (and sounds like a snare drum when gravel hits it) evolved to just a pair of busbars by 2014, connected at the same points!

I'm beginning to suspect that the 2012 BMU is not fully compatible with the 2014 battery, as the reported Ah has not budged after 8 cycles.
However, if anything it's running the battery more conservatively, and charging to 4.11 VPC with 54 to 60 miles of range is ideal for MR BEAN's mission parameters. I'll let it be for a while and work on other projects before I go swapping computers around, as who knows what errors that may throw...

jray3 said:
I'm beginning to suspect that the 2012 BMU is not fully compatible with the 2014 battery, as the reported Ah has not budged after 8 cycles.

Interesting, looks like MR BEAN’s BMU calculates with LEV50 parameters while running on LEV50Ns. Setting the new capacity manually with MUT might work.

RR today with relatively warm weather in Phoenix: 39.

Nine years and 63,800 miles; battery is declining.

We are enjoying our new Bolt EUV having driving it almost 10k miles!

But, beyond that, we hope again that everyone is looking forward to another Happy New Year! :D

Phximiev, if you noticed a sudden drop in range with the car sitting, take it for a highway drive and then check for a warm wheel. I found I had a stuck brake pad eating away at the range.

Thanks. It hasn't been sudden, but rather a gradual decline. I have checked the brakes recently and they were fine. The car is still quite usable for short trips. Mostly we travel to locations where there are chargers so the overall trip is fairly easy. For anything else, we take the Bolt.

We are considering a battery upgrade, but that another question.

my i 2012 model has 58000km and still going strong. Total cost of driving for 10 years - fuel, fluids, brakes, tires, maintenance (whats to maintain?) - is just over $2K or roughly $20 a month - try that in an IC!

Happy New Year every one.

Our combined EV miles are now over 300,000; between an i, 2x Bolt, and a Tesla S. A nagging question is why the similar average efficiency (miles/kwh for example); across such seemingly different platforms. My understanding is that this rule-of-thumb efficiency is also applicable to other EVs as well.

...thoughts ?

Back