Aptera Petition to adopt Tesla Charging Standard

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
So, Aptera just sent out this petition in hopes of having the Tesla connector adopted as the US Standard. Since I have all the connectors in my fleet, I can definitely support this as Tesla's setup is the best (despite my frozen charge port issues, but that's more vehicle design than charge port). CHAdeMO is less troublesome than CCS, but Supercharging is easier than even plugging in a J1772.

https://chng.it/T4QhpvHKTY

I hope it fails. The rest of the world has standardised on CCS (albeit CCS 2, with CCS 1 used in North America), so if all of the USA started using the Tesla connector, it would isolate the USA even further.

This is one of those cases where technical superiority (whether that's true or not) isn't the most important thing. Like Betamax being technically superior to VHS. It's about compatibility, and the ability to inter-operate.

But I'm not an American, so my opinion hardly counts.

As it stands now, we have 4 connectors for EVs in the US. CHAdeMO is being phased out, yet new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEVs and Nissan LEAFs (among a few others) are still sold with CHAdeMO. There are many trips I used to do in the I-MiEV that now cannot be done unless I spend 10 hours at level 2 stations. All the Nissan dealers in my area pretty much just let their CHAdeMO chargers break and won't fix them. The only option now is EVGo, and they are all clustered close to Pittsburgh.

So many people already tell others to buy a Tesla if they think they'll ever road trip the car because their network is just so far ahead of everything else. J1772 is a fine standard, but the top portion just wasn't built to handle the weight of the DC cabling. CHAdeMO is a more elegant solution than CCS, and at one point was the de-facto world standard.

The tesla super charger standard is limited to 250kW. At least the present CCS can do 350kW. This is important for an EV6. And if you travel cross country a lot, that 30% charge time savings ads up (EV6 compared to Model Y).
I wonder if the CCS can even be adapted to 500kW in the future?
-Barry

Things are happening from this petition. Latest from Tesla:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/opening-north-american-charging-standard

Not to spoil it, but the claims about voltage and power limits are only relevant to pre-existing connectors and ports. The standard itself can handle much more.

Hey, that's an interesting initiative! Adopting the Tesla charging standard could simplify things for EV owners. It's like how a well-designed Tesla interior makes driving a pleasure. Hope the petition gains traction for a smoother charging experience!

GavenHarper said:
Hey, that's an interesting initiative! 👏🔌 Adopting the Tesla charging standard could simplify things for EV owners. It's like how a well-designed interior makes driving a pleasure. Hope the petition gains traction for a smoother charging experience!

I didn't sign it and I don't support it, but it's happening anyway. Not de jure, but de facto. Most major car manufacturers have signed deals with Tesla to switch to "NACS" in the next couple of years (for U.S. models only).

Back