battery pack

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemm210

I just bought my imiev so just learning about the charger etc.

I am wondering if there is anyway to build a second battery that can be used to charge the main battery using the DC fast charge?

I know the DC fast charge uses a high DC voltage I believe 480v so if i built a battery bank using 40 x 12v batteries = 480v can I then somehow build the electronics and charge cord to discharge the battery into the DC Port on the car, and be able to charge the new battery bank using a level 3 charge

I am just looking for the cheapest way to extend the distance to be able to go for a longer trip by being able to reach level 3 chargers along the highway, if this is possible I will look for someone to build it.

Hi there

Congratulations on joining the club. What you propose is essentially building your own type 3 DC/DC fast charger. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as connecting a bunch of batteries and connect them to the DC port of the car but it has been done before, try Google ‘DYI CHAdeMo charger’ for some ideas

Back