Gen1 DCDC Converter Troubleshooting and Repair

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i searched on ebay and found a 2nd gen OBC listed. Also searched on car-part.com, but can't determine what exactly they have and if it is the OBC/DCDC unit. You can see the phone numbers for salvage yards and call to ask.

i would happy to try to repair your board if you wanted to send it out, seems a shame to get this far and not finish it. i order parts frequently and can combine other items to save on shipping.

Last year i bought 2 OBC units from Japan but they were the 2nd Gen with different DCDC boards, and the shipping cost more than the items, and i found a blown capacitor in the one unit that i opened, so that didn't really work out.

While I am waiting for Kenny to repair my DCDC board, if he can, I have a working OBC. I reinstalled it without a DCDC board and replaced the aux battery with two 30ah LiFePO4 12v batteries. I replaced the plastic battery tray with a piece of 2x6 that was thinned by about 1/8 in and disconnected the wire to the 120A fuse link. I connected a digital voltmeter to monitor the battery. I've used about about 12 bars and recharged 2 hours and the voltage never dropped below 12.2v and has recovered to 13.2v, I've avoided using headlights or the heater, but ran the fan on low. The battery voltage drops about 0.5v occasionally when the vacuum pump or water pump runs but quickly recovers. It appears that I can drive on that aux battery quite a bit longer than the HV battery will take me. These batteries don't have SAE terminals, so I made some jumper wires to connect them the the battery cables.

Kenny sent me a DCDC board from another OBC and I've installed it, however it is not charging the aux battery. I still have the same fault lights on the dash and the 12V doesn't go up. I wonder whether I have to clear the fault from the CAN bus?

i would guess that you do need to clear the fault codes--do you know what DTCs were thrown? Do you have an OBDII scann tool to read and clear DTCs?

Здравствуйте, такая же проблема с зарядным блоком zhtp1500r.
Не идёт зарядка. Разобрав его увидел сгоревшие элементы на плате.
Что делать дальше не знаю помогите советом что можно сделать?

Jokerrevda said:
Здравствуйте, такая же проблема с зарядным блоком zhtp1500r.
Не идёт зарядка. Разобрав его увидел сгоревшие элементы на плате.
Что делать дальше не знаю помогите советом что можно сделать?
Google Translation:
Hello, the same problem with the zhtp1500r charger. Not charging.
Having disassembled it, I saw burnt elements on the board.
I don’t know what to do next, help with advice on what can be done?

Howdy joker,
We have a separate thread for the High Voltage pack chargers, unless you are indeed referring to the 12V Low Voltage battery charger also known as the DC/DC Converter. Both functions are contained within the same Nichicon ZHTP box, the OBC is in the upper section and the DCDC in the lower plenum.
Can you take a picture of the damage and post it on the forum? We may be able to help from a photo.

Google Translation;
У нас есть отдельная ветка для зарядных устройств высокого напряжения, если вы действительно не имеете в виду зарядное устройство низкого напряжения 12 В, также известное как преобразователь постоянного тока в постоянный. Обе функции выполняются в одном и том же блоке Nichicon ZHTP: OBC находится в верхней части, а DCDC — в нижней части.

Можешь сфотографировать повреждение и выложить на форум? Можем помочь по фото.

Первый раз выкладыв фото, и в данном чате тоже недавно. По этому много чего могу не знать. И возможно спрашиваю не в том посте. Заранее извеняюсь

Posting a photo for the first time, and in this chat also recently. There's a lot I don't know about this. And maybe I'm asking in the wrong post. I apologize in advance

That's not a problem the posts can be moved later if needed.

The photo shows that you have an earlier version, pre-2012. We had a fellow post about making repairs to a version like that. i can search for it later tonight unless someone else wants to find it.

Could you identify any of the damaged components--it's not clear from the photo what has burned?

IMG_20220618_185847.jpg

https://wampi.ru/image/Rj3coii
Отметил красным что было неисправным, следы взрыва элементов.
Пробую разными средствами очистить от компаунда, но пока ни чего не выходит. Не знаю будет ли маркировка. Помогите.

Google Translate -
https://wampi.ru/image/Rj3coii
Marked in red what was faulty, traces of the explosion of elements.
I've tried various means to remove the compound, but so far nothing has come of it. I don't know if there will be a label. Help.

Marked in red what was faulty, traces of the explosion of elements.
I've tried various means to remove the compound, but so far nothing has come of it. I don't know if there will be a label. Help.

That black coating is a very hard epoxy covering the circuit board and which makes replacement of parts very difficult.

i'm thinking that might be the diode rectifier section of the final stage, will have to look at previous notes in the OBC troubleshooting thread.

Заранее спасибо, буду ждать вашего письма и пытаться снять данное чёрное покрытие.

Google Translate -
Thanks in advance, I will wait for your letter and try to remove this black coating.

Take a look at this link to page 76 of the OBC Troubleshooting thread for the posts by Philsuth about the failure and repair of his 2010 version. Lots of great photos and details of his repair of a capacitor down below the black epoxy, and an xray image of the Junior Waffle Plate. The discussion runs several pages and is very informative about the older OBC units.

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43374#p43374

Hello. Thank for your hardworking investigating all this things. I would like to ask, is someone can read what going on sdw pin of dc-dc when it working? Is there just some logic voltage, or pwm, or even something more complicated?

I have i-miev with working(but not totally sure) charger and completely drowned dc-dc. Would like to install any other dc-dc instead, if don't find spare original one at good price. I feel totally stupid, when after making some CAN-bridges I start getting troubles with just some pwm signals or even just logic levels, like pulling wire to ground to make work..

i don't know what "SDW" means, but it seems to be a status signal that goes to 12V when the device is working. i don't think it carries any pwm, just a discrete voltage level, either 12V or nothing.

Back