Battery replacement question

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elektroman123

Would a peugeot ion battery pack fit on a mitsubishi imiev? are the cars the same or what are the differences? btw its a mitsubishi imiev 2012 so maybe a peugeot ion 2012 battery pack would fit it?

The 2012 battery should all be the same, all the cars of that age had a 88 cell battery. When Mitsubishi changed the cells to an improved design the Peugeot and Citroen versions only got an 80 cell battery. There may be a pairing procedure when changing a battery.

At least on a 2012 i-MiEV to 2012 i-MiEV swap, there's no pairing procedure required. It took a number of driving cycles for the range estimations to adjust to the new battery's higher capacity, but it did so gradually and reliably. I've got a long thread posted about the process.

Alternatively, if have access to a MUT3 dealer diagnostic unit you could just run a battery calibration procedure that will update the car’s BMS with the new battery’s specs.

The latest HobDrive app apparently has a similar functionality.

It took two calls in two hours and one disconnection after being placed back on hold by a human and no callback, but I've finally got a case opened with Mitsu Corporate to try and get a statement about non-warranty battery replacements. Their pack pricing of $15k no longer passes any semblance of a smell test, and I'm ready to turn up the heat on social media and industry associations and publications if Mitsu maintains punitive pricing for replacement batteries.
Stay Tuned,
Jay

jray3 said:
It took two calls in two hours and one disconnection after being placed back on hold by a human and no callback, but I've finally got a case opened with Mitsu Corporate to try and get a statement about non-warranty battery replacements. Their pack pricing of $15k no longer passes any semblance of a smell test, and I'm ready to turn up the heat on social media and industry associations and publications if Mitsu maintains punitive pricing for replacement batteries.
Stay Tuned,
Jay
Yeah, this is going to give electric cars a bad rap. Batteries need to be affordable and recyclable, or the EV industry is screwed.

So I got a call back from Mitsu Corporate. Said that the rep was in error to "open a case" for me, and that battery pricing is between the customer and a dealer, with no place for corporate involvement. I told 'em that $15k for a 16 kWh battery in 2022 was BS, that this was a de-facto refusal to sell parts, and that I'd seek legal redress. :evil:
So much for that...

jray3 said:
So I got a call back from Mitsu Corporate. Said that the rep was in error to "open a case" for me, and that battery pricing is between the customer and a dealer, with no place for corporate involvement. I told 'em that $15k for a 16 kWh battery in 2022 was BS, that this was a de-facto refusal to sell parts, and that I'd seek legal redress. :evil:
So much for that...
That's a weird response from Mitsubishi. They do, after all, set the prices that dealers pay for parts--so claiming that there's no corporate involvement simply contradicts the facts.

This might be a good time for the MyiMiev community to strategize a collective response. One person isn't terribly powerful, but all of us together might get something done. I might suggest a unified social media campaign. Thoughts?

The 2012 battery should all be the same, all the cars of that age had a 88 cell battery. When Mitsubishi changed the cells to an improved design the Peugeot and Citroen versions only got an 80 cell battery. There may be a pairing procedure when changing a battery.
So, a Citroen battery can't be put on a Mitsubishi?? I changed a citroen one, I put it on a Mitsubishi from 2012 but it doesn't work, it doesn't go into ready mode, the battery fan starts when I turn on the ignition, is there any way to pair it or not??? Thank you

So, a citroen battery can't be put on a Mitsubishi?? I changed a citroen one, I put it on a Mitsubishi from 2012 but it doesn't work, it doesn't go into ready mode, the battery fan starts when I turn on the ignition, is there any way to pair it or not??? Thank you

That depends what year your CZero was built, as already mentioned from approx 2013 onwards Peugeot and Citroen clones only had 80 cells while a 2012 IMievs requires a 88 pack configuration.

You cannot replace an 88 cell battery with an 80 cell pack, there is no pairing procedure to facilitate such a mismatch I’m afraid…

Wild thought: maybe try swapping the BMU from the same car that the battery came from. It might have to continue to the VCU as well.

That might provoke pairing issues, but those might be solvable with the right scanner.

That depends what year your CZero was built, as already mentioned from approx 2013 onwards Peugeot and Citroen clones only had 80 cells while a 2012 IMievs requires a 88 pack configuration.

You cannot replace an 88 cell battery with an 80 cell pack, there is no pairing procedure to facilitate such a mismatch I’m afraid…
Hi. C zero citroen is from 2014 and my Miev e din 2011, now I disassembled and saw the cause, indeed it only has 10 modules, in C zero .
the question is now,,,,,, if I change the modules from the C zero battery to the original battery,it is necessary to change the CMU board or I can use the intact modules from C zero ( I have an extra module of C zero from the same year)

Thank you very much

Hi. C zero citroen is from 2014 and my Miev e din 2011, now I disassembled and saw the cause, indeed it only has 10 modules, in C zero .
the question is now,,,,,, if I change the modules from the C zero battery to the original battery,it is necessary to change the CMU board or I can use the intact modules from C zero ( I have an extra module of C zero from the same year)

Thank you very much
If you have red CMU boards on the IMIEV then you need to swap the individual cells, otherwise you may try and change the complete CZero 8 cell modules and make up two 4 cell packs.

Doing this however may cause problems with CMU numbering, if that happens best to swap all cells across.

Another potential issue is that your CZERO cells are updated LEV50Ns while the IMIEV BMS is expecting LEV50 cells, one potential solution would be to use the CZero BMS as already mentioned by coulomb; however it being programmed for 80 cells might cause other issues.

Regardless of what you do, make sure that all packs/cells have identical voltages before you fit them as balancing large differences will take forever..

Let us know how you get on..

Back