The Troubleshooting and Repair for On-board Charger (OBC) Thread

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

I'm Sam, from south France.
I'm new on this forum because i also have problem with my CITROËN C-Zéro (100% i-miev) years 2012 80.000km.

2 weeks ago, in the morning i unplug my car after night charging as everyday to go work.
But this morning i have battery + car problem light still on during my travel of 10km.
I don't stop because i need to go work.
When I'm back to home car stop 500m before i arrive. I checked battery and found have low voltage. 12vdc

I take battery to my home to put it charging with home car charger.
After charging it, i replace it on car. Car started but battery + car problem light still on.

I checked again voltage of battery:
- without start car have 12vdc
- when start car (ready) have 11,9vdc

So after searching some hours on internet and thinking I'm alone with problem i found your community and see I'm not only one with this problem.

I read all this 86 pages and learn a lot on this car troubleshooting.

I understand that you work a lot to make information clear but i still not sure of what to do

So what I'm sure is :
- car can start in ready and i can ride with it
- car can't charge
- i opened OBC as you show and found blue capacitor burn
- i checked all fuse i found in OBC but all good
- i opened the other box neer OBC to check 20A Mitsubishi fuse, he's dead.
- i know where to buy new capacitor 1nF 3kV

What I'm not sure :
- i don't know how to check resistor 4,7k
- I don't know where to buy Mitsubishi 20A fuse
- i don't know if i can replace new capacitor in place of old one without removing all OBC from his place (that can save me from cooling water draining, and refilling it, and replace thermal paste)

Sorry for my English, i tryed to don't use Google translate. But you don't understand, i can use it

:D

Thanks for your help i-Miev Avengers ;)

Howdy Sam, Welcome to the forum and sorry that you have problems with your OBC. There are a couple of forums over in the EU and UK which focus on these cars and also have experts who have made these repairs, so they are in your same time zone. But we will try to help from here and your English is much better than my French.

Those are great pictures of the damage.

The 20A fuse is available thru the dealer service/parts department, or you can order one from digikey or mouser or other electronics parts sellers. i think there is a link to the part number and spec on page 1. i can look it up if you have trouble to find it.

i think your 4.7 resistors look fine, but to measure for sure you can use a voltmeter to check resistance of the Black wire from the top board and faston tab over to the waffle plate solder joints labelled "L"; this is seen in your 4th picture. Then measure between the White wire/faston tab over to the solder joints labelled "N". A reading of about 9.7 Ohms means the ceramic resistor and fused resistor are okay.

Only one of your blue snubber caps appears to have exploded, the other may be okay and working; but it is not worth the risk to leave it, just replace both. This can be done from above and in the car without removing the OBC from the coolant lines. You can use a wooden dowel sharpened to a screwdriver blade to pry out the soft black rubber around the caps, then pull the blue shell away to reveal the metal disk and wires of the cap. Cut them as high as possible to leave a lead to solder the new cap(s).

This might repair your OBC, but there is a possibility that the waffle plate has internal damage--this is very rare but can occur, so you can do a simple check with your voltmeter to search for damage, called the diode drops in the waffle plate on page 1.
Good luck to you.

Hi Kiev,

Thank you for your quick reply and all this precisions.

To test the 4,7 resistor i have some difficulty to understand where to put my tester.

May be for me and everyone , a picture with indication where to place + and - wil be more easy to understand.

We have a saying here that says: "I understand quickly but must explain me long time" :lol:

Thx

In post #2 on page 1 is a link to the AC Input Filter and Relay circuit with a schematic showing the path thru the ceramic resistors, this may be helpful to understand how to test.

Here is your photo, the 4th one down, [put the image link between Img tags to get it to show here]
for example, ]img]https://i.imgur.com/KuOE9dZ.jpeg[/img[ ,but swap the first and last brackets to make them proper [tags]
KuOE9dZ.jpeg

At the top center are 2 wires coming down to some Faston tabs from the top control board. These wires are the AC input lines, Black is called Line and White is called Neutral. In the lower left of your photo is the column of double solder joints to the waffle plate. There is a "3" with a circle around it and an arrow pointing toward the solder joints.

The first solder pair joint is labelled "L" for Line and connects to the Black wire. The next joints down are labelled "N" for the Neutral, and connect to the White wire thru the resistors. So if you measure from the White wire to the "N" solder joint then you can measure the resistance thru the ceramic resistors. Mark up your photo and repost it here if you want.

Hi Kiev,

Thank you for your reply.

I think we are all focalized on Ukraine actually.
Difficult to be not concerned.

My car problem is trivial in comparison but it allows me to forget a little bit.

So i checked the resistor 4,7 and it seems ok.
I found 9,7 between White wire and N.

I also ordered fuse from local PEUGEOT reseller (6,50€ 1pcs), and capacitor on Rs-online.com.
They sell them by 10pcs (6,24€ for 10pcs + 6€ for shipping)

I will tell you if i can fix this problem by myself.

Thanks for your advise.

hello avryone
I want to bay new parts for Onboard charger.
1) resistors with thermal fuse
2) IGBT transistors for The Waffle Plate.
I do not know what is the part number of this IGBT transistors. can anyone tell me what part number is thet transistors?

shuma89 said:
I want to bay new parts for Onboard charger.
I do not know what is the part number of this IGBT transistors.
I don't think anyone knows what part number they are. IK think it's generally accepted that you can't really fix anything major on the Waffle Plate™, though I know someone did replace a capacitor or two on one.

How do you plan on getting through the black potting material?

Do you know that the IGBTs have failed, or just want to replace as a precaution?

Hi all,
What an amazing thread! I just got started on trying to fix a 2011 Peugeot Ion (120k km) with a broken OBC.

Car drives, charger 12V battery
AC / Chademo does not work.

I wasn't able to get the codes with three different scanners, but I removed the service disconnect switch and opened up the OBC. This is what I found.

Scorch marks on casing:
uvKfiwL.jpg

Blown up component on top board black section:
MsGgbNi.jpg

I'm thinking of just installing a fresher OBC from a 2014 vehicle. Would this be a viable fix? Part number is very similar.

Replace circuit boards on 2011-verion with 2015-version?
Hello!
I have a Peugeot Ion where I have tried to replaced blown snugger caps on the circuit board. Have also replaced the MCU-fuse, and charged the 12V battery. The symbol for yellow-car-with-exclamation-mark has disappeared, and it displays READY. Charging via Chademo is working, but not from regular AC. I´m no mechanic at all, so I might have done something wrong in the prosess, or there is something more I have overlooked or don´t understand. What I CAN do safely is to replace the circuit boards, but then I want a newer version where the snugger caps are improved. Of what I have understood, this was done from the 2015-version of the OBC. From the circuit boards pictures I have found the 2011s and 2015s looks almost the same. Is it just to replace and plug-and-play?
I see that the 2015 OBC has no longer a EMI filter attached on Top of Case. Where have this gone, and will it be a problem in my case of replacing the circuit boards?

Thanks for an extremely good forum!

#Edit. Conclusion: The 2011 and 2014/2015 OBC versions are not the same. The circuit boards are different and can not be swiched between them. See Dalas post on the next page on how to replace OBC 2011 with OBC 2014. I had a garage do the jobb, and now it is charging again :)

Howdy yall and Welcome to the forum,

@dala - it looks like that capacitor has leaked, it could be easily repaired, but swapping the OBC would work also. The older units had an external EMI filter mounted on the lid; the later models do not have it.

@Thomas - if the 2015 unit is of the same internal layout then it should not be a problem to replace the boards. Sometimes when the snubber caps blow there can be damage inside the waffle plate, or if it is an energetic explosion the molten metal spray causes damage to the bottom of the control board. Some of the late model OBCs that i bought from Japan have a totally different internal design which would not allow swapping boards.

Hi guys
I want to thank you all for helping me to repair my Citroen C Zero with the same problem .

Howdy Domen,
Welcome to the forum. Would you care to share any details such as your model year and mileage, and maybe what failed and how it was replaced, etc.? Glad to hear you were had success. kenny

Hi everyone,

I FIX IT :D

I replaced capacitor and fuse and now my car is OK.

Thanks for all.

I will try to put pictures if i can because it's difficult for me to add it here.

shuma89 said:

I do not know what is the part number of this IGBT transistors. can anyone tell me what part number is thet transistors?

i think they may be the DPAK version of the mosfets used in the second gen OBC:

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/389/stb27nm60nd-955511.pdf

Samwabien said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all.

I will try to put pictures if i can because it's difficult for me to add it here.

That's great to hear Sam, thanks for sharing your success!

Samwabien said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all.

I did the same thing a few years ago. It was a great feeling!

kiev said:
shuma89 said:

i think they may be the DPAK version of the mosfets used in the second gen OBC:

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/389/stb27nm60nd-955511.pdf

Can you give me schems of second gen OBC?
I want to see what model diodes are for protect the IGBT-s.

Hello Kiev
My name is Domenico from Italy, owner of a Citroen C zero from 2011 with 93000 km (battery capacity summer 80km winter 60km) last week the two red service battery and yellow car error lights came on. reading this forum I disassembled the cover of the power supply and that of the inverter and I found the 102K 2KV capacitor and the 20A fuse both blown. Both replaced, the car is back in perfect working order. sorry for my english but i used google translator.

Back