What are the chances this 2012 is still under battery warranty?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atikovi

It's a 2012 SE with 70,000 miles and a build date of Jan 2012 that is selling at auction tomorrow. Too late to call Mitsu and check on the warranty start date, but what are the chances it was sold within 45 days of being made such that it's more than 10 years old? And what would be a reasonable price to pay for it?

atikovi, welcome to the forum. Sorry for answering this a bit late for you.

In February 2012 Mitsubishi was still selling i-MiEVs with a 2011 build date, so you should be ok from a battery (and OBC) warranty perspective.

Note that Mitsubishi's battery warranty does NOT cover battery degradation, only an outright failure of one or more cells or internal battery circuitry failure (rare). If the car charges to 100% (all sixteen bars are showing) they won't replace the battery even if the car can only go 20 miles.

At 70,000 miles, without actually measuring the battery capacity, you'd be buying a pig in a poke. A crude reference point is to see what the fully-charged Range Remaining indication is ... would expect at least 50 miles.

Battery replacement is not a financially viable option at this point in history.

Which mode SE is it? Only the SE Premium has CHAdeMO dcfc and Nav.

Sorry, I won't venture a $$ guess.

Well, they wanted close to $4,000 so I passed. Will do some research and try again next week.

Checked with Mitsubishi and the car was first sold in February 2013 so a year left on the battery extended warranty.

Somebody bought it today for $4200 or about $4500 with buy fees. Going to be in it at least $5,000 after shipping and cleanup. Is anybody going to pay $7,000 or even $6,000 for a 70,000 mile example to get a reasonable profit?

atikovi said:
Somebody bought it today for $4200 or about $4500 with buy fees. Going to be in it at least $5,000 after shipping and cleanup. Is anybody going to pay $7,000 or even $6,000 for a 70,000 mile example to get a reasonable profit?
OTOH, maybe the main battery had been replaced and they have a usable car for another ten years :roll: ... never know without checking the battery capacity.

Won't a Car Fax (or equivalent source) show when the car was put in service?
My car was built in August 2012 but I didn't lease it until February 2013, so the 10 year warranty on the battery runs until February, 2023.

Back