Chevy Volt EV Battery Modules Available at Rock Auto

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2018,volt,1.5l+l4+electric/gas,3437566,electrical,hybrid+battery,19714

About $7500 if you buy all 3 sections, but at least they're available. We should be so lucky

Don

Thanks for posting this, Don. I'm struck that Rock Auto provides zero info on how these batteries are "remanufactured". Several OEMS are allegedly providing used battery packs or modules in their warranty replacements, and I would certainly demand proof of battery capacity or a warranty under such circumstances. The other item is price. $7500 for the Volt 16 kWh pack comes to $469/kWh
That is in the same range as current pricing on LiFePO4 battery packs for home energy storage in our voltage range (several new residential-duty battery backup systems now use 360V DC or higher.
Unfortunately, I have not found any commercial inverters ready to hook up to salvaged EV batteries for emergency or off-grid use.

Nissan is only selling replacement batteries if installed in a Leaf by one of their dealers, and only at the 24 kWh capacity that the car was originally delivered with. Current pricing is about $10,500- installed. That's $438/kWh. The only lucky LEAF drivers are 2017 owners with 30 kWh packs failing under warranty. Those lucky few get 40 kWh replacements.

EVerybody- I do have a 2014 i-MiEV pack with only 14k miles available to replace a degraded car's battery, installed at my shop. It won't cost as much as the above Volt example, but would be north of $5k.
PM if interested.

Still, it's one thing to pay $7500 for a battery for a $10K to $15K used Chevy Volt to get it back on the road and quite another to pay 'north of $5K' for an iMiEV battery when you can buy a good running car complete for less than $5K - Would you rather buy just a battery or a whole car for similar money??

The nice thing about the Volt battery is, usually when they have traction battery problems, you only need to buy one of those three modules to get your car repaired and running again. You very seldom need to buy all three

Don

Be very cautious when ordering batteries from Rock Auto. Was sent two batteries that were almost 10 years old, AFTER they were going to check inventory and send something correctly. The scary thing is, they were AC Delco batteries that only have one digit for the year code. Meaning these batteries that Rock Auto wants back so badly will appear to be new next month. Codes read: G032R meaning mfg in March of 2012.

You get what you pay for....

Back