bennelson

Re: 12 kW chademo charging

Remember though, CURRENT is about how much is DRAWN through a circuit.

There is a maximum that solar can provide. There is a much HIGHER current that a battery can supply. However, it depends on how much the inverter draws.

For an off-grid inverter, only as much current is drawn as is needed for the AC output the inverter creates, plus the inverter overhead and inefficiencies.

It shouldn't matter whether the current is drawn in through PV input or the BATTERY input in that they are both about the same range. (iMiEV battery is 360VDC fully charged)

One difference I did see is that the battery input has fuses on it, while the solar input does not. I'll just need to add fusing on the PV in.
If something bad happens, it's the fuses that will blow.
JoeS
Site Moderator

bennelson wrote:..I'll just need to add fusing on the PV in. If something bad happens, it's the fuses that will blow.
Ben, it may be too late if the fuses blow. I would start off by sticking a resistor in series with that input to limit the current. And please do be careful, as those voltages are lethal!
EVs: Two '12 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 TeslaMS85, three 156v CorbinSparrowsLi(NMC), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conversions: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab96, 48v1kW bike
RIP(2021) ICE: Orig.Owner '67 Saab96V4, '88 IsuzuTrooper; '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV
bennelson

Experimenting so far is at a lower voltage and a source OTHER than the car.
Yes, I'm making sure to take care around high-voltage.
The fuses that I'm using are the exact same ones as are on the BATTERY INPUT of the inverter. I also installed a "semi-conductor fuse" in the handle of the CHAdeMO connector for when I eventually get to connecting the car to the inverter. Semi-conductor fuses are supposed to be fast enough to protect MOSFETS and the like.
pbui19

bennelson wrote:Remember though, CURRENT is about how much is DRAWN through a circuit.

There is a maximum that solar can provide. There is a much HIGHER current that a battery can supply. However, it depends on how much the inverter draws.

For an off-grid inverter, only as much current is drawn as is needed for the AC output the inverter creates, plus the inverter overhead and inefficiencies.

It shouldn't matter whether the current is drawn in through PV input or the BATTERY input in that they are both about the same range. (iMiEV battery is 360VDC fully charged)
glad to hear that you're careful and aware of the situation. Am not entirely sure how the MPP circuitry works, but it may pull max current while watching for Vpv to drop to determine that max-point. If only we put in a max current limiter in series.

One problem with connecting the iMiev pack to the solar input is the preclusion of charging the iMiev pack. But you're in baby-stepping phase.

Where did you purchase the SolarCity H6 ? ebay has it for $400 but with no-warranty. The spec doesn't state whether it's pure sinewave AC output, but I would assume so given the UL certification.
bennelson

I bought the inverter on eBay. None of those will have a warranty. They are orphaned. It's true sine wave with 120/240 split-phase 60 hz output.

At this point, I'm not trying to CHARGE the car through the CHAdeMO, just draw power out. I plan to use the standard AC charger for recharging.

The car could be recharged from wall power after a blackout.

I have grid-tie solar, using micro-inverters. Of course those need an AC signal to lock on to. There's some possibility that I could use the H6 inverter to kick those on and then draw power from the AC side of things when it's sunny.

But baby steps. Just making sure not to blow up the inverter first.

I did a test of powering on the inverter with some DC power supplies and pre-charging with a light-bulb.

https://youtu.be/mFcz4uzscx4
pbui19

got an idea to run by folks: how about fabricating an external pack of 15-16 in series of the iMiev cell (L50N ?) , connect to the iMiev pack in series via the Chamedo port, then the H6 can see the 400vdc effectively. Probably 16S is better given available BMS. Just have to be crazy careful and fuse properly, that 400vdc can kill.

very much appreciate the video Ben. What is/are your grid-tie inverter/s ? micro-Enphase ? M250/iQ6-7 ? or ?

May have to get one of these H6s.

Thanks
bennelson

I'm using Enphase M15 micro-inverters with 250 watt PV panels. 26 of them total.

Adding additional cells in series to an iMiEV pack probably wouldn't be very useful. Even if it was high enough voltage for the battery input on the H6 inverter, the H6 still requires communications to the battery pack. The inverter was really designed for just ONE particular battery pack - a high-voltage DC Tesla Powerwall unit.
pbui19

bennelson wrote:I'm using Enphase M15 micro-inverters with 250 watt PV panels. 26 of them total.

Adding additional cells in series to an iMiEV pack probably wouldn't be very useful. Even if it was high enough voltage for the battery input on the H6 inverter, the H6 still requires communications to the battery pack. The inverter was really designed for just ONE particular battery pack - a high-voltage DC Tesla Powerwall unit.
The MeanWell power supply in series remind me of the grid-charger I built for the Insight. Joes probably has one too. It was a decent way to "current limit". Is it conceivable to put one in series with the iMiev 360vdc as a current limiter ?

looking forward to find out if you can AC-couple the M215 Enphase micros, though that would be after the iMiev step.

Do you have any link/info about that communication protocols/messages between the H6 & Tesla Powerwall-1 ? probably a CAN bus of some sort, and probably for BMS purpose.
bennelson

No. I haven't found any information about the data connection between the H6 inverter and original Powerwall battery.

I did run the inverter from my electric motorcycle. That seemed to work well.
I have a short video about that on vimeo
https://vimeo.com/661523307/fe9c910296

Return to “EVSE (Charging Stations)”