coulomb

Re: MiEV, potential regen braking issue

Wed May 05, 2021 5:28 pm

shamie wrote:I've taken the plug out. Sprayed it with some WD40 on both sides.

Actually, WD40 (basically oil in a spray can) is not the right thing to use for electrical contacts. It leaves an oily reside behind; that's good for seized bolts but bad for electrical contacts. You should use something like CRC, a contact spray, which cleans then evaporates to leave no reside.

shamie

Wed May 05, 2021 7:12 pm

coulomb wrote:
shamie wrote:I've taken the plug out. Sprayed it with some WD40 on both sides.

Actually, WD40 (basically oil in a spray can) is not the right thing to use for electrical contacts. It leaves an oily reside behind; that's good for seized bolts but bad for electrical contacts. You should use something like CRC, a contact spray, which cleans then evaporates to leave no reside.

shit.. that explains why the van now doesn't go into ready, all the warning lights are on. The battery level is 0 and the charge light flashes. The charger turns on at the wall and attempts to charge but doesn't.

Have I ruined it?

Could I fix the plug still or would I have to get a new one?

coulomb

Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 am

shamie wrote:Have I ruined it?
Could I fix the plug still or would I have to get a new one?

A bit of oil won't ruin it, but oil isn't a conductor of electricity, so it gets in the way.

Spraying with a bit of CRC (Electrical Cleaner, I should have been more specific) should clear away the oil, I think.

shamie

Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 pm

Applied the spray but it's still the same. Is there anything else I need to do? Should I detach the 12V battery? More spray?

PV1
Site Moderator

Sat May 08, 2021 4:34 am

This is starting to sound more and more like a battery problem. Do you have an OBDLink and an Android phone? I think we better check the cell voltages in the drive battery.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

Life with Electric Vehicles: https://lbry.tv/@PV1

shamie

Sat May 08, 2021 4:45 am

PV1 wrote:This is starting to sound more and more like a battery problem. Do you have an OBDLink and an Android phone? I think we better check the cell voltages in the drive battery.

I do but it won't connect to the ECU since the spray. I sprayed the electrical cleaner in the plugs but sadly the same thing is happening..

Return to “General Technical Discussions”