Don
Site Moderator

Re: What tire would you recommend?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:04 pm

I have the Continental EcoContacts on my personal iMiEV (but in different sizes) and I really like them. They are quiet, grippy, much better in the rain than the Dunlops and they're long wearing. I didn't know they made them in iMiEV sizes. I think you'd probably be pretty happy with them

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

jlhiowa

Sat May 01, 2021 8:15 am

Don said, "the iMiEV is a great 'second car' . . . . even when it's the one that gets driven 90% of the time." haha I love that, and that's exactly how it is for us!

I messaged PV1 because iMiEV is our main car, so having the tires fail the penny test makes me anxious to get the tires replaced.

PV1 said, "He might be able to squeeze them on the front rims, but they will rub when turning and regen will not work right. The fronts have to be smaller. When I first changed tires, I went one size down on the rear tires and had problems, so the car is really sensitive to tire size.

My friend that had all four tires the same size gained almost 20 miles of range once the fronts were replaced with the correct size."

That matched up with what I read on the forums and (tried) to tell the Les Schwab tech. So I'm going to tell Les Schwab that all 4 tires the same size won't work for our model of car, and we need to keep the circumference difference between front and rear less than 2% like others have posted.

I saw others in Pacific Northwest / CA using Les Schwab, so they had seemed promising. There's also an SPoint tire shop to try out if it doesn't work out with Les Schwab.

Thank you all! I will post sizes and costs after we get the tires replaced.
2012 i-MiEV SE Premium in silver -- we love it! :)

Don
Site Moderator

Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 am

I'm actually quite surprised that a major tire store like Les Schwab would install any tire of a different size than the ones called for on the door jamb sticker - Most will refuse to do that for legal liability reasons

If you're not going to use the stock tire sizes, you've got to be very careful choosing sizes which won't disable regenerative braking and probably ABS too. The computer counts the wheel revolutions and when the numbers don't add up properly, it concludes that the car is skidding and disables certain things. The 'secret' is maintaining the same *ratio* between the circumference of OEM front tire size vs the OEM rear tire size

Start by looking up the specs of the OEM tires and calculate how much smaller in circumference the fronts are from the rears. Then, when choosing alternate sizes, maintain that ratio very carefully and everything will work out fine

As an example, I have 175/55R15's on 5 inch wide wheels on the front and 185/60R15's on 5.5 inch wheels on the rear and it drives like it always has . . . . but with MUCH better handling. Other combinations of sizes will work too, but they must be carefully chosen

The problem with using other tire sizes is the tiny 4.5 inch wide front wheels - You can't put much of a tire on those, so going with even a little bigger tire means you need a wider rim. My 5 inch front wheels were custom made by putting a 5.5 inch wheel from a BMW Mini on a large lathe, cutting about 0.6 inch out of the center of it and then welding the two halves back together. The resulting wheel bolts on without using any spacers and *just barely* clears the shock towers - The tire doesn't rub on them either, but it's pretty close. They've been on the car for more than 10,000 miles now
Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

bradleydavidgood777

Mon May 03, 2021 10:26 am

I was watching these Yokos as my inspection approached in April. They are snow tires but I now have a long distance 2nd car so I don't care if they have a little more rolling resistance.

Right before my inspection, they dropped the price as spring came around and I got all four for about $230 on tire rack.

I like how they look a lot more than the stock tires.

I went to the parking lot at wet times and dry times and did some slamming brakes and starp turns and all was very predictable and good.

I'm pretty happy.

Pics

2017 I-Miev

TobyGadd

Wed May 12, 2021 3:16 pm

Mitsubishi has a deal on tires right now. Buy three, get the 4th for $1.00, until May 31st. Makes the Ensaves a much better deal!

https://www.mitsubishitireprogram.com/

Cheers,
Toby
2016 i-Miev ES, Blue
2016 i-Miev ES, White

jlhiowa

Thu May 27, 2021 1:55 pm

Quick update, all 4 tires were changed about a week ago and have driven a few times since then. The tires feel a bit more grippy.

Front 145/65R15 $75 / tire Vredestein Quatrac 5. UTQG: 400AA. Tread: 10/32. Tirerack.com
* Tirerack.com shipped to local tire service shop.
* The order was delayed because my credit card company flagged it as possible fraud.

Rear 175/60R15 $54 / tire Landsail LS388 All season UTQG: 500AA. Tread: 9/32. Prioritytire.com
* Prioritytire.com could only ship to house.
* Shipping was very slow, took 1-2 weeks.

Installation
* Called Tetrault Tire Center to make sure they could set the TPMS for a Mitsubishi iMiev 2012. He checked while I was on the phone and confirmed their machine handled 2012; he said the iMevs a few years newer weren't showing up in their machine.
* $100 ($25 / tire) for installing/mounting, balancing, setting TPMS, and disposing of the 4 old tires. Took less than 40 minutes. Friendly and efficient, would recommend :)

jlhiowa wrote:A friend noticed that our tires needed to be replaced. Oops, guess we forgot to check that! We still have the stock Dunlop tires. We're at 22,007 miles on our 2012 iMiev SE.

We're in the Pacific Northwest coast of California, so it's temperate, about 50-60s F year round. Rains Nov-Feb.

I searched for tires and wanted to share my information, and also see if my picks look good :)

I'm going by price, so I'm looking at front Vredestein and rear Landsail (bold green below).

Front 145/65R15
$75 Vredestein Quatrac 5. UTQG: 400AA. Tread: 10/32. Tirerack.com
$88 Continental EcoContact EP. UTQG: 240AA. Tread: 8/32. Tirebuyer.com
$92 Continental EcoContact EP. UTQG: 240AA. Tread: 8/32. Discount/America
$94 ContiEcoContact EP Summer. UTQG: 240AA. Tread: 10/32. Tirerack.com
$96 Continental VikingContact 7. UTQG: Ice. Tread: 10/32. Tirerack.com
$163 Dunlop Enasave. UTQG: 340AA. Tread: 8/32. Tirerack.com
* The 145/65R15 Yokohama iceGUARD iG20 tires mentioned on the forum seem to be out of stock on the internet.

Rear 175/60R15
$54 Yokohama iceGUARD iG20. UTQG: Ice. Tread: 11/32. Tirerack.com
$54 Landsail LS388 All season UTQG: 500AA. Tread: 9/32. Prioritytire.com
$91 Pirelli Cinturato Winter. UTQG: Ice. Tread: 11/32. Discount/America
$175 Dunlop Enasave. UTQG: 340AA. Tread: 9/32. Tirerack.com

FYI, I had better luck using 'pick tire by size' than 'pick tire by car model' when I'd search the tire websites.

Thanks in advance :)
2012 i-MiEV SE Premium in silver -- we love it! :)

Return to “Wheels - Tires”