Charging two i-Mievs

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody know what EVSEupgrade.com did internally to the stock EVSE? The previous owner of my car said that he had the EVSE modified for L2 (yet to be tested by me), but the current programming method described by JoeS didn't work for me, so it must have been modified by a different person/company.

The EVSEUPGRADE.com upgrade evolved over time. Early on, it was just a fixed 12 amps on either 120 volts or 240 volts. Mine is like that. Later on, they devised a clever way of adding variable charge amps to the upgrade, like the one Joe describes. It would help to know when the one you have was upgraded. For me, it wouldn't matter - Even if the current could be adjusted, I would just leave it set on 12 amps. I built an Open EVSE from scratch which is fully adjustable on either L1 or L2 . . . . but it's been set for 240 volts, 12 amps since the day I built it about 6 years ago

Don

Thanks for the reply, Don. It is likely then that I have one of the early mods. Mine has an L6-20P plug and the case has clearly been opened as the centre two screws are different from the ones at the corners. I’ll plug it into my kill-a-watt to see how much current it pulls.

Andrew

Yes, all the early ones came with the L6-20P on them and I believe the later ones used a 30 amp. I converted pretty much everything in my garage to L6-20's so I could plug any of them in, anywhere. With 3 iMiEV's and a Chevy Volt, I have 6 different EVSE's and all but 2 of them are 120/240 compatible, so to change from 120 to 240, I just plug them into a different outlet, wired for the voltage I want. None of my cars can use more than 20 amps, so sticking with what came on my upgraded OEM EVSE was a natural choice. The unmodified ones still have the standard 120 volt household plugs

Don

Back