EVgo and AAA

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
I've been a reluctant member of both EVgo and AAA for years. Although I use EVgo very often nowadays (and generally get my monthly fee back in kWh) as I wander further away from home when my wife frequently takes the Tesla up to Oregon. I haven't used AAA for years but keep it in case I need to have a car towed a significant distance; besides, AAA is a great source for 'free' paper maps which we still like to pore over during our long-distance trips.

I now see that with a AAA membership that the $8/month EVgo fee is waived, and thought I'd pass it on.

https://discounts.calstate.aaa.com/offer/evgo-348013

Here's the link to the EVgo plans: https://www.evgo.com/charging-plans/

UPDATE

The normal EVgo membership is $7.99/month and a roughly 10% reduction in charging cost relative to non-members, and 1/2-hour of 'free' charging.

What AAA membership gives you is waiving the $7.99 monthly fee, having the 10% reduction in charging cost, but NO 1/2-hour of 'free' charging.

Even though I signed up for AAA in early December, I just got billed $7.99 again so I called up EVgo and, after looking into it, they acknowledged that my previous $7.99/mo contract should have been closed out, so they're doing that and crediting my account.

If any of you have made the switch, you might want to check to make sure your previous contract is closed.

As a side note, I think EVgo's DCFC rate structure of charging by the minute sucks for vehicles with low DCFC rates and it's horrendous if someone is trying to simply fill up for a long trip out into the boondocks. Happily, our i-MiEV stops charging at 80%. Yesterday, I needed a brief jolt in order to get home and was charged $2.60 for 3.295kWh for the 10-minute 7-second session, which I stopped at 73%SoC.

Back