Difference Between SE and ES

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
In 2012, Mitsubishi produced two Model lines - the SE and ES - for the USA.

The Options Packages -

Premium Package (available only on the SE)
- HDD Navigation System with rearview camera
- FUSE Hands-Free Link System with USB port
- Steering wheel audio controls
- battery warming system
- Heated outside mirrors
- CHAdeMO DCQC port

Cold Zone Package
- Not defined other than heated outside mirrors

Quick Charge Package (available as option only on ES)
- CHAdeMO charge port
- Heated outside mirros

Not shown in the brochure but I've seen a number of i-MiEVs (both ES and ES) with a dealer-installed(?) Backup Alert System, identified by two black buttons in the rear bumper cover.

The quickest way you can tell if an i-MiEV has a DCQC port installed is whether or not there's a small lever underneath the lower left of the driver's seat - it opens the left rear sidehatch.

Wheels
- ES: 15-inch steel wheels with cover
- SE: 15-inch alloy wheels

SE but not ES -
- Blue two-tone option
- Fog lamps with DRL function
- Auto on/off headlamps
- "Premium Brown" interior (ES is called "Basic Black")
- Leather wrap steering wheel and shift knob
- Passenger vanity mirror
- Silver interior accents
- Two-tone instrument panel (Premium Brown)
- Door trim with cloth insert

As you can see, the differences between the ES and SE are mostly superficial, and Mitsubishi wisely consolidated the features and for the US market produced a single-model car in model year 2014 and 2016 with nicer trim and alloy wheels and a blue-color option and lighted charge port, but brought back the NAV system as an option on the MY2016.

EDIT 6/6/17: It is significant to note that CHAdeMO-equipped battery packs have forced-air cooling capability (which non-CHAdeMO cars do not have), which normally kicks in for maybe 2/3 of a CHAdeMO charging session. Some owners have modified their a/c ducting to force-feed cooled air into the pack. One can quickly tell if a car's battery has this forced-air cooling because of the relatively-loud blower noise which lasts for about a second when the car's J1772 plug is first inserted.

Back