Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PV1 said:
How are you closing CaniOn? Do you press the back button, then say yes to close CaniOn, or do you just hit the Home button?

Maybe try to open CaniOn, make your setting changes, then press the back button and exit CaniOn. Do this away from the car so that the OBDLink doesn't connect. Then re-open it and see if the settings stick.

Holy cow! Thanks, PV1! That was it. I had been just letting the "auto close" app I have running in the background shut everything down when power is disconnected from the tablet (e.g. ignition key turned off). I have my tablet up in my work office right now charging. I tried doing what you suggested; making my changes, tapping the back button, and selecting yes when Canion asks if I really want to close the program. When I reopened Canion, all my custom settings were intact. Thanks again. That was REALLY bugging the heck out of me!

Next question: is there anyway to set Canion to always open in the "zoomed" mode? You know, where you double-tap the screen and it zooms in? I would prefer to have that zoom view as my default whenever Canion starts. It's not a big problem, as it's easy enough to double-tap the screen, but if there is a setting somewhere to make that the default, I'd like to know. Thanks!

Not that I know of, but maybe that option could be added by the wonderful developers?

As for auto-close, CaniOn has an option to auto-close, which is likely a better option than having another app close CaniOn. I don't think having another app closing CaniOn would affect the data, but it does prevent setting changes from being saved.

I have the Auto Close setting enabled on my Canion. I also use the "AutoSleeper" app to automatically put my tablet into standby mode when the power is turned off. AutoSleeper is on a 5-second delay before it puts the tablet into standby, though. I assume that gives Canion enough time to perform its Auto Close function.

I have downloaded an purchased the scantool obdlink lx. During my drive in (approx 20 min) my phone (Galaxy S4) loses connection. I think it has something to do with my phone and the LX, not Canion. But it is frustrating b/c I can never get a full read of my drive - so it is difficult to view how things are working and maybe how my trip choices are affecting my battery use.
I will re-read the thread here so I can see if there is some set-up point I have passed. But if anyone has any clues, I would appreciate it!
Thanks!!

Here's a few tips that make a more stable connection:

1. Make sure no other bluetooth device is connected or trying to connect to your phone or OBDLink. I have issues when my Pebble watch goes dead and the app tries to connect to it.
2. Turn off WiFi on the phone.
3. Turn off panels in CaniOn that you aren't using. The one that gives me trouble is the Cockpit panel. It uses a lot of bandwidth. My Android head unit can handle all but this panel, but my phones also require turning off Acc pedal history and Maps/Trip viewer.

Also, DO NOT use apps like Torque or OBDLink (Scantools companion app) with the i-MiEV. They'll light up your dash with warning lights (although a power cycle clears them). Only use CaniOn or EVBatMon.

Yes, CaniOn definitely gets better all the time. Loving the AC Volts and Amps data with rev. 137. Now I can easily see voltage sag on a charging station (or how high the grid voltage goes at night at home. My record is 255 volts while charging, so likely above 260 volts from the wall with no/little load, as reported by the car).

Canion is a must have app for all clones.

Anyone can stop in a middle of a trip for about 2h and continue with the last readings? When I stop and turn off canion he restarts from zero.

Any solution to make canion keep last info and continue from that point?

PV1 said:
Here's a few tips that make a more stable connection:

Also, DO NOT use apps like Torque or OBDLink (Scantools companion app) with the i-MiEV. They'll light up your dash with warning lights (although a power cycle clears them). Only use CaniOn or EVBatMon..

Thanks PV1 - I will try shutting down some of the views from Canion that I won't be using right away. And I just did download the OBDlink from scantools and noticed for some weird reason that my traction control light lit up on the way to work - about the same time that I noticed my connection was acting funky!

Removing it now ;-)

ICEM4N, to keep the readings, don't close caniOn, but turn the screen off on your device. When you wake it back up, CaniOn takes about 15 seconds to reconnect and be stable, and the values will stick.

PV1 said:
ICEM4N, to keep the readings, don't close caniOn, but turn the screen off on your device. When you wake it back up, CaniOn takes about 15 seconds to reconnect and be stable, and the values will stick.

Ty a lot for the help..... Going to try it

Well, closing down some of the reports in Canion didn't stop my phone from losing connection with the LX from Scan tool.
I guess next time I'll try shutting them nearly all off but the trip recorder and see where that gets me.

blackheart,
I have the same issues with Canion and S4 and have them for more than a year now. I put my S4 into the little tray just below the LX and even there it doesn't stay connected for more then 15min.
The 137 update is even worth in that when I scroll through the screens, it freezes or shows me a black screen. I have to restart the S4, ending the Canion will not do it. The 136 didn't have that many issues with the S4.
I even replaced the LX once.
Regards,

Thanks Carsten,
I was thinking about getting a tablet that would just stay with the car - but not till I could get thus issue solved.
But if it's the phone, maybe I will try it with another device first.
Thanks!

I still have the ongoing issue with CaniOn in that the connection between the phone and the OBDLink LX gets messed up and I need to remove the bluetooth pairing between them and re-pair for CaniOn to work again. What I don't know is that if it's an issue with CaniOn, the 2nd gen Moto G or the OBDLink LX module. It happens somewhat randomly and just two days ago it happened during an hour long continuous drive.

For a while, it seemed like the LX was more reliable than the MX. My MX Bluetooth has been working pretty well lately. After about a week or so, I have to unplug/replug it for my radio to connect, but the connections are usually pretty good, as long as my Pebble isn't trying to connect.

So far, I've run CaniOn successfully on:

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Samsung Galaxy S III
Acer Iconia A500
Motorola Droid Turbo
Newsmy Carpad II NU3001 (head unit)

Of all of these devices, the S III was the most unreliable for running CaniOn continuously. I had several disconnects when trying to record my first quick charge. Maybe there is something different with the S II and S III that makes Bluetooth unreliable?

ok, I must be doing something wrong. I tried my wife's old Galaxy S3. Worked fine all the way from home up to the little service station that I stop at a few times a week for coffee. When I got back in and started up the car, the phone wouldn't connect to the LX. Said it was the wrong passcode.
Anyone have issues with this? If I am going to use the app (and I want to) I would like it to just work. The phone/tab to connect and stay connected when I get in the car. The app looks like it works fine - but it is staying connected to the LX is what seems to be giving me the issues.
Anyone??
Thanks

My MX went through a phase where it kept complaining about a passcode. I can't remember exactly what caused it, but I think it's because another device was in range that was paired with the MX.

What I did was make sure that no other phones/tablets that have been used with the OBDLink are nearby with Bluetooth turned on. I also removed the OBDLink from these devices. Make sure no other apps are trying to connect with a bluetooth device (Pebble watch for instance, also any bluetooth headsets/headphones). Finally, I left the OBDLink unplugged for about a minute or so, removed the OBDLink from my primary device, plugged the OBDLink back in, and re-paired the MX to the device (my head unit in this case). It's been working good ever since.

As a quick fix, turn off bluetooth on any phones or tablets in the car, delete the OBDLink from the device you run CaniOn on, press the button on the OBDLink and re-pair your CaniOn device.

If it's still giving you trouble after this, I'd try to do a warranty claim on it and see if you can get another LX or possibly a Bluetooth MX.

PV1 said:
My MX went through a phase where it kept complaining about a passcode. I can't remember exactly what caused it, but I think it's because another device was in range that was paired with the MX.

What I did was make sure that no other phones/tablets that have been used with the OBDLink are nearby with Bluetooth turned on. I also removed the OBDLink from these devices. Make sure no other apps are trying to connect with a bluetooth device (Pebble watch for instance, also any bluetooth headsets/headphones). Finally, I left the OBDLink unplugged for about a minute or so, removed the OBDLink from my primary device, plugged the OBDLink back in, and re-paired the MX to the device (my head unit in this case). It's been working good ever since.

As a quick fix, turn off bluetooth on any phones or tablets in the car, delete the OBDLink from the device you run CaniOn on, press the button on the OBDLink and re-pair your CaniOn device.

If it's still giving you trouble after this, I'd try to do a warranty claim on it and see if you can get another LX or possibly a Bluetooth MX.

Thanks - I will give that a shot!!
rm

Bonsoir,
Canion works fine on Obdlink LX and Newsmy NU 3001 (but GPS is not working any more on my HU)...

Sometimes, I just need to pair again the BT...

In my opinion, canion 137 is definitely the best (functions & stability with any android device)...

Most of the troubles I see here, are coming from BT connexions between obd2 interface and android devices...

Canion is acting also perfectly with Nexus7(2013) and Samsung Note4 with Obdlink Lx on my car (of course, only one at a time).

Xavier

Back