Rust Protection Treatment

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandange

Just wondering if there is any special precautions needed in order to treat our electric cars for rust protection?

I would like to do my treatment while it is still virgin from any road salt exposure.
Sandy

It does have a 7 year, 100K rust thru warranty - I'd guess it's as well protected as most other newer cars built in Japan (which seems to be pretty good) . . . . but I'm glad I don't live where they salt the roads to have to test it . . . .

Don

In France, we have problem with your Peugeot iOn ...
Some of them seems to have a problem with the rust :
20120921155609.jpg

20120925095337.jpg

20120925095357.jpg

dominion said:
In France, we have problem with your Peugeot iOn ...
Some of them seems to have a problem with the rust :

Uh oh. Seriously, that is not cool. I dare hope that Mitsubishi has taken additional corrosion resistance measures for North America. Glad I live where the roads never see salt (the couple of times a year that it snows, we just look out the window and wait for it to melt), and the air is bone dry 75% of the year, pretty darn dry the rest. That's little consolation to folks in the NE or near the ocean, though. Check out those pictures - aren't most of those spots in areas that conventional aftermarket rustproofing wouldn't touch?

Most Mitsubishis tend to not handle the salt too well in the NorthEast, many are rust buckets before their time. I saw in the 'Making of the i MiEV' that all of the cars were going through an anti-rust/corrosion treatment/bath. Must not be working to well. I'll have to keep an eye on it throughout the season.

Most of those rust warranties are about perforation not surface rust.

I had the Miev up on the lift having the heater insulation done so I had him do the wax/oil spray treatment while he had the large plastic cover was of.,
He did the whole car and took care to steer clear from the drive motor.
Almost ready for the winter just need the snow tires now.

I had mine treated at
Garage Louis Caron Antirouille
Address: 6056 rue Anthony, Brossard, Quebec, J4Z 1L7

He uses grease. I had it done to a 1986 Civic CRX and it lasted 18 years Then I did it again on my 2001 Civic SI when I got rid of it in Aug 2012 it was spotless So I figures it was worth it for the iMiev.

Speaking of tires have you found any yet ?

I tried at club price and they had blizzacks for $95 but for only 2 wheels he did not have the other size.

The dealer price was $150 so it's a little pricey. I'm still looking around.

Don.......

Back