can a different tire size work ok?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerHalifax

The Mitsu dealer here in Halifax NS sold me 185/55R 15 instead of the specified 175/60R/ 15.
Is this acceptable? Will it make a difference in the handling or behaviour of the car?

Thanks for any info on this!

Roger

The key numbers so compare are the overall diameter and especially the overall circumference of each tire. The 185/55 is just 1.3% smaller for both measurements than the 175/60, that results in the revolutions per mile going from 867 for the 175 to 877 for the 185. That's pretty close and I don't predict you'll have a problem, so long as your front tires remain the same as stock. The overall ratio, difference front to rear is very important

That said, if you're going from the true Dunlop LRR tires to any other tire which isn't rated LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) you will likely take a hit in the car's overall range. I would guess with just changing the rear pair to non LRR that loss will be around 5%

If the $$$ is enough of a savings for you and more important than the range, I'd say give it a shot and see what happens

With front Enasaves now going for $221 each (and the fronts last half as long as the rears). I’m seeing the Haida Vogue HD628 in 155/60-15, which is only 0.4% less circumference than stock, with 10 mm added width. They have a highway rib tread similar to the Enasaves, but no LRR claims. Anyone try these yet? Awfully tempting at $60 from prioritytire.com

jray3 said:
With front Enasaves now going for $221 each (and the fronts last half as long as the rears). I’m seeing the Haida Vogue HD628 in 155/60-15, which is only 0.4% less circumference than stock, with 100mm added width. They have a highway rib tread similar to the Enasaves, but no LRR claims. Anyone try these yet? Awfully tempting at $60 from prioritytire.com
jray3, I couldn't resist the price and just bought a couple of them. LRR is irrelevant in our kind of driving. If they don't work out I can always give them to the fellow to whom I gave my old Saab.

Anyone looked at these for tires? There isn't anything specific for the iMiev, but the sizes seem to be in the ballpark...

The representations for EV tires are interesting...

https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/tire/ion/evo-as-suv.html

jray3 said:
With front Enasaves now going for $221 each (and the fronts last half as long as the rears). I’m seeing the Haida Vogue HD628 in 155/60-15, which is only 0.4% less circumference than stock, with 10 mm added width. They have a highway rib tread similar to the Enasaves, but no LRR claims. Anyone try these yet? Awfully tempting at $60 from prioritytire.com

145mm EnaSaves are still listed for $218 at TireRack, so I tried the 155/60 Haidas. They’re marked for lower pressure and feel much grippier, but also tend to tramline more, plus seem to wander more at high speed. The circumference difference was enough to occasionally bring on Automated Stability Control on sweeper turns with my more-worn rear tires, so I switched them to the car with newer rear tires, and that has eliminated the ASC misfires. Not enough runtime to quantify efficiency, but I expect losses. There’s nothing as good as the EnaSave on these cars.

Back