Blink Charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrCRXHF

Well i just got my blink charger online last night at my house. I will be able to post some charge information that the charger logs.

I love the fact i can tell it when to start and stop the charge on the car and don't have to mess with it just get home plug in and not worry about going out at 11:00pm to start it to get the cheaper time.

05-16-12%2520Blink.jpg

Cool! The resolution is fairly coarse, so it didn't pick up the ten-minute full-off timeout by the BMS after about an hour of charging. Note that she was pretty-well charged after two hours and the last hour was spent topping off. Bet you had a full 16+ bars ... what was your Range Remaining after you charged? :roll:

I had 78 after that charge but the next night i put 12.21kw into the car and had 68 to empty but that is because i went 20 miles down the expressway at 75mph with the AC on so :)

So I have to learn more about level 2 chargers before I buy one. Some of them keep track of usage? some don't?

I got the blink one because i wanted to plug it in when i got home and have it always charge during off peak time with out having to play with the remote.

Also it keeps track of how much you use each charge what that charge cost you. You can also log onto your charger and tell it to start charging if you want via the web. It has a touch screen on the front that you can also control the unit and get data from. So the engineer in me wanted data and the power company was buying the charger so that is why i picked the blink charger.

Even sends you a message to your phone when it starts and stops charging.

ed5000 said:
All this talk about Blink is interesting because I bought a used Blink EVSE model WE-30CKRE on Craigslist. I bought it because I thought the built-in timer would be easier to use (easier than our remote. :lol: ) Then I did some checking online and found there's been a history with people having reliability issues while the company was in the middle of bankruptcy. The lady who I bought mine from said they used the EVSE for only a year back in 2011 then boxed it up and let it sit on a shelf ever since. Hmmm.

The thing is like brand new and HUGE! It's maybe 2' tall and 1.5' wide with a 5 or 6 inch color screen. It must have cost a small fortune when new. It even came with a large separate cord reel about the size of a hat box.

A friend of mine happens to also have one of these. He said "oh yeah, if it messes up just pull the plug and cycle the power to it. It will start up fine." :shock: :lol:

If worst comes to worst, I figure I could install some Open Evse parts in it. After all, there's plenty of room inside!

Guess what? Another one of these Blink EVSE model WE-30CKRE just popped up on craigslist in the same neighborhood of San Rafael where I bought mine above. I think its a good deal but the price is a little higher - $175 now. Like I said I only use mine for the timer function, not the internet connection, etc. So far that's been working but I can't say it will work forever.

The ad is very similar. Who knows? Maybe a neighbor is also selling their EVSE after 9 years "of sitting on a shelf". :lol:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/d/san-anselmo-ev-car-charger-blink/7183008098.html

Hey ed5000, that Craig's List Blink EVSE posting has now been deleted. I kinda nudged the EVSE discussions into this thread in order to separate them from the Blink Charging Network.

From that thread,
wmcbrine said:
...I also own a broken Blink EVSE that sits in my garage. :) (It was broken when I bought it. I hoped I might fix it.)
Hmm, if you ever open it up, let us know what you find. If it lights up, have you tried it on a different EV? Back in 2012, IIRC there were a few i-MiEV compatibility issues with some EVSEs.

Back