Correct charger and 20A - 250V?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miev16

Hello!

I don't have my iMiev yet...will test drive a 2016 i-MiEV ES this weekend.

Looking ahead if this charger will be compatible:

SC1455 Schumacher 16 Amp EV charger.
Level 2: 240-Volt at 16 Amp with a NEMA 6-20P outlet
Level 1: 120-Volt at 16 Amp with included adapter
Universal connector: works with any EV with standard J1772 connector in North America

I have an outlet in garage that reads: 20A - 250V

Compatible?

If not any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New year!

Actually, the 'charger' is built into the car - What you're buying is the EVSE which connects the AC mains to the charger in the car

That one will work just fine and will recharge the car as fast as possible, using either 120 Volt L1 or 240 volt L2 - Of course, L2 will be faster. The car's charger can use 3.6Kw and your 240 volts at 16 amps is 3,840 watts

miev16 said:
Is my 20A - 250V outlet Ok to use?
miev16, welcome to the forum.

Yes, your outlet will be just fine for use with the i-MiEV and is very well-matched to the SC1455 Schumacher EVSE. The connector on that outlet is also probably NEMA 6-20 which would match the Schumacher plug. If there's a different connector on the wall, then at worst you can easily either make/buy an adapter or rewire either the plug or the socket with a compatible connector.

Good luck to you with your upcoming possible i-MiEV purchase, and 'good on ya' (as the Aussies would say) for doing your homework.

miev16 said:
Hi
Is my 20A - 250V outlet Ok to use?
Yes, for sustained high current loads, the NEC (National Electric Code) says to limit the current to 80% of the outlet's rating, so 80% of 20 amps is 16 amps. Your car will only draw a little over 14 amps when charging, so your outlet is . . . . perfect!

Back