U1r battery replacement

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otedawg

My battery was aging and causing the car to stop charging during a charge cycle, so I decided to replace it. But with relatively high prices on 151r batteries, I thought id try to find something cheaper that would do the job. Since we don’t need any real CCA value, I looked for a battery that held approximately the same Amp-Hours as the 151r.

151r: 35ah 7 3/4l x 5 1/8w x 7 1/4h
U1r: 33ah 7 3/4l x 5 3/16w x 6 3/4h

IZ1vznL.jpg

Fits just fine, I did have to add a piece of 1/2 copper pipe as a spacer, but it works. 30 minutes and $25 instead of 30 minutes and $200.

What can I say, I’m a cheapskate - I even rebuilt my evse in an afternoon to increase charge current since I didn’t want to buy a new one.

I have AGM batteries from first generation Mazda Miatas (1990 - 1997) in all my iMiEV's. They're the same length and width and the terminals are the same, but they're a little shorter, so I put a block of wood under them and the factory battery mounting apparatus works just fine. They cost around $100 . . . . and they're AGM, so maintenance free

Don

If I could've found an AGM, I would've put one in, but my little lawnmower battery seems to be doing just fine. I replaced the old 151r since my car started having charging issues and the old battery (6ish years old) had some bone dry cells. So far so good.

Josh

It looks like a perfect fit for the battery tray. The battery terminal connections look interesting but then there's no big power draw to start an engine or anything anyway. I bet it works fine and, heck, $25 is a great price too.

Back