Quick question: Not charging after installing battery.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebbetufs

Hello. Thanks for the great forums and sorry for making my first post a request for help.

This is not intended to be a trouble shooting thread, but I would appeciate if you could point me in the right direction so I can narrow down my searches in the forum.

I just completed re-installing the traction battery after changing the brake lines on my European 2012 I-miev.
Now the level 1 charger won't charge. There's a full complement of warning lights, no plugged-in light.

What are the main things you would check before going deeper?
Is a fully charged 12V battery needed for the systems to initialize after the main battery has been disconnected?

The 12V battery was at 10.5V but is now on the reconditioning charger. I'll test with another battery tomorrow.

i think your problem is due to, or aggravated by, the low auxiliary battery voltage. An old, weak or worn out aux battery can cause a multitude of faults on EVs.

The 12V battery is now charged enough tto allow the car to go into ready mode and spin the wheels. The 12V is definetly getting power from the DC/DC, which is good. I will still replace this battery as it is clearly damaged from sitting too long.

I'm still unable to charge with the level 1, most likely because I still get the exclamation mark which I have not been able to clear.
I also have the ABS light.
I've confirmed the charging cord is good on another car.

Sounds unlikely, but will lack of brake fluid cause the car to failsafe? I still haven't bled the brakes.
Do I need to get a OBD link to reset codes to fix this (need to order from abroad which will cause aorund 6 weeks delay) or is this likely to clear once I find a bad connection somewhere?

Again, thanks for the nice forums. I've learnt a lot browsing them.

Quick update.
Thanks to Hobdrive and an old ELM327 OBD adapter I was able to reset fault codes. I found one persistent one related to grounding of the OBD charging plug. Turns out I had overlooked the connector from the charge port to the OBC which is behind the rear bumper. Plugged it in and everything is fixed. I'm very impressed by Hobdrive.

Back