Battery Issues 12V or Main Battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centex

The last 2 charge cycles the battery level meter will only charge to 9 bars, 33 miles, then the charger shuts off. Both my 220 EVSE and 120 EVSE act the same. I did check the 12 volt battery voltage today and it was showing 12 volts.

Question: Would a lower voltage reading with the 12 volt battery affect the charging of the main battery? My driving distance until this weekend was 60-64 miles depending on the weather. I did not know if the main battery would collapse that fast. Weather has be in the 70's and 60's during the day.

I gather from the posts that a low 12 volt battery will create some issues.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mine is a 2012 iMiev. I have had the car for 5 3/4 years and the 12 volt battery has not been replaced by me. When charging you can hear the cooling fans, everything seems normal. No service warning lights in the cluster. The car has around 22K miles.

Having experienced a main battery failure myself, the deterioration progressed with the car stopping charging at a lower level with each successive attempt to charge. I had one rapidly-deteriorating cell.

A marginal 12v battery might cause a problem with the car starting to charge, but once it's charging, I cannot see the 12v battery doing anything as the dc-dc brings the voltage up and holds it at around 14.4vdc, IIRC. You might put a voltmeter on it to verify that.

Best if you could get a Bluetooth OBDLink LX or MX and an app to check the cell voltages.

I have the OBD reader and will check the cells.

Does the iMiev act like a Nissan leaf showing fewer bars as the battery fails?

Since I have bought car, 2015, the battery's GOM would show 75 miles when charged and until this weekend it would show 60-64 miles. Now it is down to 9 bars and 33 miles.

I would guess this would qualify for a new battery. If the Canion shows a really low or bad cell, I will have to call the local Mitsui dealer and sechedule an appt. I will let the service manager know the battery is failing.

After your new battery what did the GOM show after recharging?

Thanks for the post.

I had the 2012 IMiev delivered to the local Mitsubishi dealer on Monday. Today the service manager called and said the on board charger had failed, the capacitor issue. He said it was under warranty and that it was extended from 8 to 10 years. He said they show 5 obc's available in their supply system. Once they get that in they will charge the battery and see if cell 80 was bad and the condition of the battery.

He was very cordial and cooperative. They were notifying Mitsubishi of Japan of obc and battery issue. He also mentioned the NHTSA Technical Service Bulletin on the OBC. I went to NHTSA and downloaded the TSB for the obc and the main battery. It was nice to see a 2 year extesnsion of the original warranty for both. I will check to see if there are any other TSB's for the 2012 model.

Curious to see if the new replacement parts have a 8 year warranty.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. Here's my writeup:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2506&start=10#p20736

If you continue in that thread you'll see not only my progress but a number of others'.

Because our Range Remaining (RR) display has a very simple algorithm that is very consistent, we don't use the Nissan Leaf's slang expression (GOM) to define it. :evil: Inasmuch as the RR number is a function of how the preceding 15 miles were driven (which in my case can vary from gentle city streets to very high-speed freeway), I usually don't refer to it as a consistent fully-charged number - besides, I rarely fully charge my i-MiEV.

Back