How to add Tesla's OBC to imiev?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0tik

Hey hey people ☺️
Tesla's OBC is easy to boot, but I have to adjust current draw according to the messages sent from the car to its original OBC. If chademo charger receives messages from the car to lower power down to 6kW or even less then I'm sure the OBC receives such messages too. I don't want to damage the battery with full 11 kW charging up to 100% soc.
Sadly I can't find any info on canbus messages being sent from/to OBC, that's why I'm asking for help here. Snooping canbus by myself is out of question as I'm not qualified enough for reverse engineering it.

Buried on this forum are results from testing different charging methods. If the car is aware of AC charging in progress, it has a limit somewhere around 5 kW, and if the battery receives more than that, the car shuts down charging. To make faster charge rates work, the car either has to be kept in READY or one has to utilize the CHAdeMO port and talk to the car proper.

Also, over on the Ford Focus Electric forum, member sefs had built CHAdeMO charging into his Focus and even built a home quick charger that works with the car. He's since dismantled it and moved on to other projects, but there might be some information gleaned from that project that could be helpful. However, we tested his home quick charger with my i-MiEV, but it didn't work (something about the chargers he used not ramping up fast enough for the standard). Tesla OBCs might, though. I believe Superchargers are just stacks of OBCs run in parallel, which would explain why they are so reliable.

Since search isn't the best, look up the forum member siai47 and browse through his posts. He's messed around with faster charging back in the day. There also is this if you just need a quick and easy way to speed up charging:

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/portable-chademo-ccs-combo-dc-quick-charger/

Thanks mate. For future reference, here's the sia47's post about OBC charging power being locked to 6kw power. Also I forgot about 20A HV fuse in there. That would limit charging power too.

Update - I have found thread about FFE chademo but there are no details that would interest me. I'm searching for a software that talks between chademo in my car and a stack of chargers that would act as a fast DC charging station.

To be able to charge with 230V AC at 26 Amp (equals the 6kW limit) would be great.

Are there any modification experiments with the normal imiev charger? There are two versions. One that kills its capacitors and have to be fixed often and the new one (also named OBC2) that is in many LEV50N based cars that fail much less but when it fail, then the mosfet explode and have to be replaced.
The single phase Type1-plug used on the imiev is rated in general up to 32Amp.
Are there any experiments with the stock OBC how to push it to 26Amp? What are the parts that have to be replaced for a higher grade ones?

hjdlsnbc said:
To be able to charge with 230V AC at 26 Amp (equals the 6kW limit) would be great.

Are there any modification experiments with the normal imiev charger?
Are there any experiments with the stock OBC how to push it to 26Amp? What are the parts that have to be replaced for a higher grade ones?

As you mentioned there are reliability issues with stock chargers (especially with 1st gene OBCs), therefore trying to tease out twice the power they were originally designed for doesn’t seem to be a good idea..

Current wisdom also suggests that low charging power is the best way to extend the life of the battery/OBC.

If you really need to have fast charging at home then best to look into CHAdeMO, below is a good starting point

[edit] link deleted; wrong project, below is what would work for you

https://wallbox.com/en_ie/quasar-dc-charger

Of course i know that OBC1 (until about 2013 production year) and OBC2 (start from about 2013 production year) are not the most reliable chargers. The OBC1 is even far more unreliable then the OBC2. But that was not the question. The question was about the modification that is required to rise up the charging rate. I would report then what part of the OBC have explode at 26A and thus this component of the OBC have to be replaced for a higher grade one.
It would be great to be able to use the CP signal to control all that up to 26A or even 32A. Just rising the whole range the OBC support at the moment (6A-16A) to something for example +10A wont be that nice. Then a CP-signal of 6A would result in a 16A charge and the 16A charge would be then the 26A charge. This would probably cause many troubles on public charging stations that measure the current that is really delivered. But at least such charging rate modification could be probably done without the need of firmware modification of the OBC.

Are there any posts in the forum that have done some research of the OBC-firmware?

Back