Not able to drive. P1A15 error.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gencis

I am driving imiev MY201, US model.
During the autumn strange things started to happen. I could drive it but after slow charging at home (220V, 16A, or even 6A), I started to get yellow car error symbol and error code P1A15 (high voltage circuit). After clearing the error code and charging the 12V battery, I was able to start and drive it without any problems and even charge at fast-charging stations. But now in winter, after staying at home for several days or even week, I started to get this error code after each charging. And finally, I am not able to start the car at all.
Now, after I delete the error code and start the car again, I get a red battery warning light and the car does not start. After few attempts, I get again yellow car error light and P1A15 error code. Even if I clear the error code and try to charge, I get at once yellow car error light and P1A15 error code.

I measured a 12V battery (purchased 11.04.2018). When it is off, I get 12.46V. When I turn the key to the on position without load, I get 11.94V.

On this forum, I found some directions on how to measure EV-ECU (under the rear seat) but not sure if I measured the right module. The Key was in the ON position.
I included some photos that you could guide if i am wrong.
https://ibb.co/pLQxKnk
https://ibb.co/ZNgS10K
https://ibb.co/9tpTZX5
https://ibb.co/hL1sMs7

Where I should look for the problem?

Hi, I've got the same problem (P1A15) but on a 2017 CZero.

There is a long thread under "batteries"

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4225&start=100

which might be worth a read.

There is also a NHTSA bulletin on this which includes a long troubleshooting procedure, about 25 steps!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058387-6169.pdf

regards
Ged

Gencis said:
After clearing the error code and charging the 12V battery, I was able to start and drive it without any problems
I measured a 12V battery (purchased 11.04.2018). When it is off, I get 12.46V. When I turn the key to the on position without load, I get 11.94V.
Where I should look for the problem?

1. My first guess is that your 12V aux battery has been damaged by sulfation of the plates due to prolonged sitting at less than fully charged. It might be possible to recover but not likely--it would require charging at 14.4V for an extended time with constant monitoring and addition of water to the electrolyte.

2. The second reason for this code is found in the P1A15 discussion thread, namely the HV monitoring circuit in the MCU that measures and reports the voltage. There is a little amplifier board that has been found suspect in several cases but is less likely than number 1.

Another reason i tend toward #1 is that the problem went away in the Autumn after you charged the 12V, but returned after the car had been sitting a long time. A 12V aux battery can normally self discharge at 1-3 % per day, and must be kept fully charged at all times.

Thank you Kiev and Ged for the prompt reply.
First of all, I will try to check the 12V battery. I could take it from another car. The only thing is I get to figure out how to connect it, as it is bigger than the original imiev battery and I do not have jumpstart wires.
I hope tomorrow I will try and write the test results.

Today I tried two different 12V batteries. One was not a new but powerful 92 Ah AGM battery. Succeded to make a good connection. The result was the same as with the original battery. Then I put another, one-year-old, fully charged battery. The connection was not as good as on the first try. The result still the same. I turn the car on, it shows the yellow car and P1A15 error. I delete the error turn car off then again on and still has the same result. Made several attempts, even tried charging but without success.
Then I tried to connect through caniOn150 app and got weird results. It shows as the car is charged to 62 percent even it has 5 bars, it shows battery temperature +20C but the outside temperature is -2C, and car is standing for several weeks now. Also, it does not show any battery information - just black space where the chart should be shown.
As for the Torque program, I cannot connect it to the computer as it is not able to find the computer module of the car.

That doesn't look like the EVECU in your photos. EVECU is underneath the metal bracket and has 4 connectors. But 11.9V is likely an indication of a weak or worn out aux battery, which may collapse under a load.

Is it possible to charge the Pack using the EVSSE or does that fail also?

Strange readings with CanIon, not sure why it can't read cell voltages.

I was able to connect to CanIon. I took another smartphone, installed app and it worked. Showed right temperature and other data.
Here I include few screenshots with parameters:
https://ibb.co/9WX7z7d
https://ibb.co/VmDc9ny

About EVSSE you mean if I can charge the main car battery with the J1772 plug. The answer is - I cannot. Whenever I try to charge it, yellow car sign appears at once and I get error code. I can delete it but the same happens in every attempt.

Could it be that this problem is caused by some moisture in charging sockets or anywhere else? We had some big temperature changes and humidity of nearly 100 percent. And the car was not used all this time.

The CanIon shots seem to show that your pack is in good shape.

Without measurements of the 12V aux battery voltage, or of any replacements used, etc. i will always doubt that you have solved that as a possible issue. i have seen this too many times and will need proof before believing that it has been ruled out. None of the ECUs will operate properly without a good strong 12V from the aux battery.

The measurements you made earlier were not of the EVECU, see previous messages.

To Kiev. No, I still did not solve the problem. I am still not able to drive the car.

I meant that I was able to connect CanIon. That is all.

So tomorrow I will try to take it out and try again to measure voltage.

Today I measured voltage at EVECU. I am not very good at reading electric diagrams but I think, I managed to found connector 111, terminal 107.
Before starting, I charged 12V battery and left charger connected when starting the car. I got again P1A15 error. I cleared it and measured voltage at connector 111, terminal 107. Voltage was only 0,51V.
Here are some photos
https://postimg.cc/8j9dgp0f

https://postimg.cc/3yR3jh39

As I understand, voltage is too low. Where next I should look for the problem?
Should I need to check some relay?

i would suggest using a stiff thin metal rod or wire to insert into the backside of the connector to attach the probe, to make sure you are getting good contact to make the voltage reading. Not sure if your reading was good based upon the pictures? Also make sure the black lead is clipped or pressed to a good ground.

Terminal 107 should read "12V aux battery voltage" when the key is in ON position, and read less than 1V when the key goes to START and car goes to READY.

Gencis said:
Today ...
Before starting, I charged 12V battery and left charger connected when starting the car.

Not a good practice to leave a chargger connected while starting.

What was the actual battery voltage after charging with key OFF and then with key ON, This is the last time i will ask about this, but if you expect any help then you must supply this data every time until it is ruled out to be an issue.

Kiev, I must apologize for the incorrect information. It seems I was measuring yellow wire at C-106 connector instead of C-111.
This idea that I was measuring the wrong wire came to me only today.

Now about the battery. As I did not have a new battery, I decided to try my charger"s function "recondition + 14,7V". After fully charged, the battery was charged up to 13,25V. After putting it in the car, it showed 13,12V. The car started, I was able to drive for 12 km and after that, I was able to charge the car
But today, when I found that I was measuring the wrong contact, I decided to measure it again. The battery voltage was only 12,69 V (last night we had -18C). I was not able to start the car. I got error P1A15 again, yellow warning sign, and red battery sign. I tried to measure the voltage at contact 107 and it was 0V in the positions ON and START.
I deleted the error and tried to start the car after 10 minutes. The battery voltage was now 13,48V before the starting. The car started and battery voltage became 14,63V with turned-on headlamps.
I tried to drive a car in the shed back and forth. Then turned off and again on. I got a yellow triangle warning light but the car was able to drive back and forth. I turned it off and again turned it on. The warning light disappeared without deleting the error.
After few days I will try to start it again. And see the situation.
Then I plan to buy new battery and see if that helps.

i'm glad to hear that you are having some success with starting. The reconditioning seems to have worked and charged the aux battery, and 12.69V is a good reading especially when so cold. Check the voltage again after a few days to see how well it is holding up.

But such cold temperature is rough on any battery, and it may be too cold for the Lithium pack, or somehow related to the slow charge-up of the big capacitor in the MCU or to the measuring circuits in the bottom plenum of the MCU.

i'm not sure what are the temperature limits for operation of the meiv?

In the imiev manual I found this information:
do not store your vehicle at ambient temperatures below -13F (-25C) for over 7 days. The temperatures may damage the main drive lithium-ion battery.
Mine came from Minessota and has battery heating which should automatically turn on at -27C. But do not know if it works, as we never had such a low temperature in the past 4 years. It would be good to change the automatic battery heating value to -15C . I tried to ask but did not get any information about this system. Maybe someone from Canada would know something?

That's interesting. i have never seen or studied the heater circuit--wonder if it must command the main contactors in order to access the HV to power the heaters, or if it is using the 12V aux battery directly to power the heaters?

Couldn't find any information about the optional pack heater in the FSM.

I cannot say much. This option I found in the car specification list which I received together with other car documents. And few sentences I found in the manual. That is all. It would be interesting to get some more info and electric diagram to be possible to override control of the circuit.

Tried to start car after several days. I got the same error and the same things happened.
So I decided to wait till we have some warmer days and to buy new battery. Then I will see if the problem still persist.

Update.

Today I bought new battery in my I-miev.
Battery voltage 13,16V.
When turned on, batt. voltage was 12,48V
When lights turned on, batt. voltage was12,24V.

I still get the same error. Unfortunatelly nothing changed. Also not able to charge. After plugged in, yellow car warning light turns on and charging stops.

Now what should I check next?

Gencis said:
Today I bought new battery in my I-miev.
Battery voltage 13,16V.
When turned on, batt. voltage was 12,48V
What about when ready?

Now what should I check next?
Check that you have a 12V battery charger handy, so you don't ruin the new auxiliary battery :) The high no-load voltage is possibly only due to the low temperature; the low voltage under modest load suggests to me that it needs charging.

But have you checked the fuse in the MCU, behind the cover? It sounds like your DC-DC is not working. If it's blown, you should open the on-board charrger to check for blown capacitors.

Edit: but if your problem is still intermittent, then problems with the on-board charrger, and even the MCU fuse, seem less likely. I'm now suspecting contactors, or possibly ground leakage, preventing the high voltage system from connecting to the rest of the vehicle. Can you use a CAN bus (OBD2) spy program to read the traction battery voltage?

Back