Socket replacement type 1 -> type 2

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreaceria

Hello from Italy!
I'm a proud owner of a 2013 Peugeot iOn and I'm now planning to switch our other car in the family - an LPG Fiat 500x - to an EV.
Next weekend my wife will test drive the latest 62 kWh Leaf, to check if it's the right choice...

Anyway, since all European cars are now equipped with type 2 port, would it be possible to replace the onboard type 1 socket (j1772) of the iMiev/iOn with a type 2 one?

This would mean using only one wallbox-evse to charge to different cars.
I know there are adaptors to charge type 2 vehicle with type 1 charge and vice versa, but Italy forbids to use adaptors for car charging on public space, and I charge my car in front of my house (the cabinet where the evse is placed is closed, but the cable and the car stay in an open-public space). In addition to this, I find tethered type 2 cables only, like Tesla Destination Chargers. No one uses j1772 anymore, because only old Japanese cars have that socket.

So my question is:
- is it possible? I suppose yes, as I've read of Leaf 24/30 that did this;
- is there space enough to fit the 7-pin type 2 socket?
- any further suggestions?

Thank you!

The adaptor cables and adaptors are a pin-for-pin change with no electronics so as long as it can be made to physically fit, I can't see that it would be a problem

The big question is "can it be made to physically fit?" - you may wish to obtain a rear quarter panel from a breaker in order to try test fitting, rather than risking a working car

stoatwblr said:
The adaptor cables and adaptors are a pin-for-pin change with no electronics so as long as it can be made to physically fit, I can't see that it would be a problem
Are you sure? It seems to me that the meaning of the proximity pilot changes with type 2; it specifies the maximum cable current carrying capacity instead of the handle's button (there is no button with type 2).

Maybe that's all handled at the EVSE end, but I think that the type 1 OBC is going to be wanting to stop charging if it detects what it thinks is the switch being pressed.

It would also be nice to drive the locking mechanism properly, and a type 1 OBC probably won't have that logic and/or drive electronics. Unless it's set up for type 1 or type 2 depending on a jumper or the like.

Back