VW ID.4 EV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
Finally, if I'm looking correctly at a photo on the VW website, another EV with a completely flat floor with the back seats down! Charging port on the right-rear like our i-MiEV (best location IMO). Initial reviews are very positive, with emphasis on the car's silence (by an experienced EV'er and Tesla owner). Free charging for three years using EA network. The devil will be in the details...

Kinda wish the smaller ID.3 would be imported into the US, but I guess the marketing research concluded otherwise.

I just don't see anything beating the value of a used, low miles iMiEV, and since we have three of them, we're not really in the market for any other short to medium range EV - I think the ones we have will last us . . . . pretty much forever

Don

Don said:
I just don't see anything beating the value of a used, low miles iMiEV, and since we have three of them, we're not really in the market for any other short to medium range EV - I think the ones we have will last us . . . . pretty much forever

Don
That's the only reason I haven't replaced my iMiev yet. Almost all our driving is just for short range trips and the iMiev does such a good job that, I'm not really sure I have a reason to replace it. Eventually when we do more travelling, and maybe when the Covid epidemic is over, I might get a Tesla where I can drive long range with their super charger network.

I seriously thought about using Turo for renting a Tesla for longer trips but all the Turo cars have 600 mile limits last I checked and my in-laws have a beach cabin down in San Diego that we like to drive down to. The 600 mile limit eliminates that choice since it's about a 1,000 miles to drive round trip. I can't blame them for trying to keep the mileage low for things like resale values, etc. but I think that's a leftover from the gas car paradigm whose drivetrain wears out quicker.

As Joe can probably elaborate on, even when you own a Tesla for longer trips, it still makes economic sense to keep an iMiEV (or two) for your every day driving - They are much more practical vehicles for short range daily trips than . . . . just about anything else

We have two 'long range' cars - A 2017 Volt and a 2014 Ford Transit Connect mini-van. Because we drive iMiEV's every day for 90% of our transportation needs, the other cars only get used for what they do best - Longer range travel and since we don't 'waste them' driving them around town, they're gonna last us a lifetime too - We may go through a few trickle chargers, but the cars will last a long time. The 2014 has 30,000 miles on it, the Volt 25,000 . . . . but 20,000 of those were already on it when we bought it 2 years ago. At this rate, neither one will see 100K in the next 10 years - Maybe in the next 15, but it might take even longer than that

Daily driving a $5K EV so your $40K whatever can languish in the garage is a huge money saver, in more ways than one

Don

JoeS said:
Charging port on the right-rear like our i-MiEV (best location IMO).
How do you figure?

Of course, it's going to vary based on your situation; and if you've already optimized for an i-MiEV, then I can see where you'd want a replacement to use the same location. But, to the extent I can be objective about it, it seems to me that the best positions are:

1. The front (like the Leaf). This corresponds best to the most common arrangement (by far) seen with EVSEs in parking lots, assuming you're not one of those people who prefer to back into a space. (I'm not, nor are most people. I realize there are a few ardent backers here.)

2. Left front (driver's side). I don't see this as inherently better, BUT it seems to be the most common among current EV models. That means that future EVSE placements may be optimized accordingly, so then your car would match. It may also be easier for the driver than moving to the other side, or the back, assuming a front-facing EVSE.

I indulged myself in a few video reviews of the ID.4 this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised by all of the reviews. The reviewers had all positive comments and gave it high marks for range, comfort, style and price.

One guy did complain about the car having transmission creep and not being able to turn it off during his short test drive but, someone in the comments said there was a way to turn it off in the car's menu.

Right now, the price is $39k for one with a 80 kwh battery but there is supposed to be one with a 50 Kwh battery for less $ in the future.

wmcbrine said:
JoeS said:
Charging port on the right-rear like our i-MiEV (best location IMO).
How do you figure?...
wmcbrine, I agree that the front port location is good and am primarily dismayed by it becoming prevalent on the left side of the car. Thought I'd start a separate topic about this here and welcome further comments on that thread. :)

Test drove one today. Designed for perceived mass appeal, which it may well have. Two modes: zero-regen and regen (D & B). I love the zero-regen for highway driving, but their regen mode is too wimpy and not one-pedal driving. Wish they had a regen paddle. Very nice overall package with lots of attractive features, but I prefer my i-MiEV for local driving. I'll pass. Oh, and that rear floor with the back seats down is NOT perfectly flat like the i-MiEV.

Don said:
Well, things change. I pretty much fell in love with the ID.4 the first time I sat in one . . . . actually, it was probably even before that as it has ALL the bells and whistles that are important to me. We sold the Volt and I have a deposit on an ID.4 - Headed up to Jackson with a check and expect to drive it home tomorrow :mrgreen:

Don

JoeS said:
Don, congrats! Do keep us up-to-date, and I hope the CCS charging infrastructure in your part of the country will be sufficient to meet your long-distance needs.

:lol: is there any EV that can really be considered useful for long-distance travel, other than T with the SC network?

JoeS said:
Don, congrats! Do keep us up-to-date, and I hope the CCS charging infrastructure in your part of the country will be sufficient to meet your long-distance needs.
The car comes with 3 years of free EA fast charging and they have a few cross country networks already up and running. We have one station in Gulfport about 12 miles from my house, so I can even drive locally on free juice if I choose. You can drive from Jacksonville to San Diego along the southern route and there are others too. Atlanta, Dallas, no problem. Can also use Tesla destination chargers at 11 Kw

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/

. . . . and, it charges to 40% at 125Kw and from 5% to 80% in 38 minutes. I think we're going to be able to get by :lol:

Don

Don said:
... Can also use Tesla destination chargers at 11 Kw...
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/
. . . . and, it charges to 40% at 125Kw and from 5% to 80% in 38 minutes. I think we're going to be able to get by :lol:
Do they provide you with a Tesla-->J1772 adapter? I use one with my i-MiEV.

You will probably never get down to 5%SoC, but their CCS charging speed is pretty awesome, if the EA charger is working :evil:
https://insideevs.com/news/532073/road-trip-gas-vs-electric/

I test drove the ID 4 and the iPace on the same day. I was suitably impressed with both, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be the ID 4.

Beyond that, wife likes the Model Y, so when the time comes, that’s probably what we’ll get, assuming that the iMiev and Volt expire, which at this time they show no sign of!

Between the two, we are over 100,000 electric miles.

:D

Stopped and took a quick look at one this morning. It was already sold, so I couldn't sit in it, but it's a decently-sized vehicle with a nice looking interior. A little over $41,000 for a Pro model (RWD) with 260 mile range. Looks like they can even option up and get AWD and towing capability.

Being knee-deep in the Bolt fire issue, it makes me rather nervous that they use LG cells. I wonder if they will have the same problem GM and Hyundai are having with battery defects.

JoeS said:
Do they provide you with a Tesla-->J-1772 adapter? I use one with my i-MiEV.

You will probably never get down to 5%SoC, but their CCS charging speed is pretty awesome, if the EA charger is working
No, you don't get a free one like Tesla gives you to be able to use the J-1772 chargers, but then the Tesla one is like $75 and a 'Tesla Tap' 50 amp to go the other way is $200. I ordered one yesterday. There are cheaper ones rated at 40 amps, but the car will use 48 amps when the destination chargers are set up to deliver that much, so $40 more for the 50 amp was a no brainer

The two most common EA CCS chargers are 150Kw and 350Kw and the car really charges quickly using either. Don't know how many times I'll be using them, but we drive right by the one in Gulfport at least once or twice a month, so if I hold off on home charging when we're planning to be over that way . . . .

I ordered a GoPlug Pro 32 amp EVSE which is a pretty nice bit of kit for $400. WiFi, current adjustable and has it's own app and comes with a 3 year warranty

https://www.goplug.com/goplug32.html

Don

This guy drove from Jacksonville Florida to Ft Collins Colorado in an ID.4 and he was able to charge at 125Kw at most every EA charger he used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikheO2Nb3-k

Don

Back