Meepster at dealer for recall service

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbW

Hey, all. Been awhile since I've been in the forums here. Figured I'd check in and get caught up on all things iMiEV.

I dropped my Meepster off at the dealership after-hours last night for service today. I took it in to have a couple recalls performed. Not exactly sure which recalls they are as I only received a postcard notice from the dealership stating there are two outstanding recalls on my vehicle. Is there any way for me to find out which recalls are needed on my car?

I've never taken my Meepster in to the dealership for any kind of "regular" maintenance. And I have never been told by the dealership that any regular maintenance is necessary other than refilling the washer fluid and checking the tire pressure. I know they can replace the cabin air filter, but other than that, are there any other maintenance items I need to make sure they check? This particular dealership has one of the only service departments in the area that is certified to perform service on iMiEVs. However, I'm still not very confident that they know precisely what they need to check, inspect, and perform on the iMiEV as every time I have asked questions about the iMiEV, they have been pretty vague with their answers.

One final question. I spent some time searching through the forums this morning to find any threads on this following topic, but I couldn't find anything. So, forgive me if I'm posting this outside of an already-established thread. Have we determined yet if there is any way for a Mitsu service department to adjust the acceleration ramp profile of the iMiEV? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the acceleration off the line was a software limitation more so than any kind of mechanical limitation. If that's the case, is there any way for them to adjust the acceleration?

Living in the suburbs and driving in busy stop-and-go commuter traffic, there frequently is a need to stomp on the go pedal in order to merge into traffic. More often than I would like, I am fearful of my Meepster's ability to get up to speed in time to avoid any sort of incident. As such, I often sit and wait at a stop to make a turn instead of punching it, much to the chagrin and annoyance of ICE vehicles behind me that could have easily met the challenge. Don't get me wrong, my Meepster has a pretty impressive acceleration ramp after the first 1-2 seconds. However, it's those first 1-2 seconds that count the most in these situations, and my Meepster feels sluggish, at best, in those moments. If there is any way to improve the acceleration from a full stop, I would graciously accept it, even if there was a considerable charge to reprogram the acceleration profile. I don't have any need to be smoking the tires off the line, but I want to be able to quickly get up to speed without any worry of causing an incident or infuriating any drivers behind me.

RobbW said:
...One final question...Have we determined yet if there is any way for a Mitsu service department to adjust the acceleration ramp profile of the iMiEV? ...
Unfortunately, this is programmed into the vehicle and (as far as we know) it is not alterable by the Mitsubishi MUT-3. I think all of us would like to eliminate that 1-2 second takeoff time delay!

I know, right?! It's so d@mn annoying. As in Mort from Madagascar annoying (parents should catch that reference)! Guess I was just being optimistic that after a few years of the iMiEV being on the market (and a prolonged absence from the boards on my part) that SOMEBODY would have figured out how to adjust the acceleration ramp in the intervening time. Oh well!

I remember threads here from when I first got my Meepster of other owners talking about how they were beating cars off the line from a dead stop. I, too, have managed to do that a few times. However, I've noticed there are certain caveats and conditions that must be met in order to beat an ICE off the line. Any or all of the following will give you the upper hand:

1). You have to catch the other driver totally off-guard. As in, they weren't even planning to try and beat anyone off the line, least of all a funky-looking EV.
2). You have to anticipate the green light and react much faster than the other driver.
3). The other car has to be a total beater.
4). You're the only car sitting at the light!

Outside of those four, it has been my experience that trying to race an ICE off the line is a futile endeavor. Especially if the other driver is anticipating the light, is fully planning to gun it to beat you out, and is driving anything more powerful than a Nissan Versa. In seconds 3-5 off the line is where my Meepster can really shine and make up some good distance. But it's those first 1-2 seconds of meager effort that do me in almost every time.

I hear you Robb, but go take a drive in an i3. Their programmed delay off the line feels much worse (especially when the power comes on so strong a couple of seconds later)!
Regarding your recall services, there are often delays in getting the 'rusty bolt kit', but the rest is just reprogramming.

The cabin air filter is super-easy to do yourself, just pinch in the back corners of the glovebox to let it fall forward and lift out the old filter. (I'm blowing mine out with compressed air a few times before outright replacement.)

I'm thinking to do a brake fluid change at 50k. The stuff does absorb humidity, and I rarely put any heat into the brakes, so first time I really need the brakes coming down a mountain, the fluid could boil. (Local Nissan dealers were skewering LEAFers with annual brake fluid change recommendations.)

I keep suspecting that we're missing out on a whole world of i-mods, given that there has been very little Japanese input on this forum. Japan has a crazy car-modding culture, and they do it quickly due to the artificially-short service lives imposed on their cars! Anybody tracking the Japanese forums?

Just got the multi-inspection report back from the service department. They performed the two outstanding recalls, which were the undercarriage bolt/rust issue and the brake vacuum pump (reflash EV-ECU only).

The report states that there has been a warranty extension added to the main battery. The warranty has been extended from 8 years/100,000 miles to 10 years/100,000 miles.

The recommended service items on the report are:

1). Replace the main cabin air filter ($49.95)
2). Front & Rear Wiper Inserts ($39.95 with one-year warranty)
3). Clean & Adjust Rear Brakes ($180)
4). Main Battery Recalibration ($250)

The service tech stated the rear drums brakes were rusty and need to be cleaned and adjusted. He said that as long as I perform that occasional maintenance, I should never have to replace the rear drums.

Service tech stated the main battery should recalibrated, which updates the software and/or something or other. Can anyone tell me what this is all about? Is it something anyone else has heard of or had performed? What does it do for me? Is it something worthwhile?

Okay, just did a quick Google search on the iMiEV forums and found threads talking about this battery calibration. Sounds like it's just something for the dealership to make money on. Owners can perform this service themselves just by running the car down to two bars and then fully recharging every now and then. Right?

What about the rear brakes? Is that something that should be taken care of? I have no idea.

Battery warranty extended from 8 years to 10 years? I'll have to check on that, as I just got the call that Bear is ready to be picked up (recalls, backup sensor, and main battery replacement). That would be awesome if everybody gets the extension.

I've seen two different calibration behaviors. There is a calibration done for the SoC gauge by a full charge from 2 bars or lower, and a more apparent calibration after 3 years. I haven't noticed the 3 year calibration yet on either one of my cars, but I have a feeling that Koorz is about to do it. The SoC and RR re-adjust after driving a few miles. The other day I used almost 2 bars and drove 10 miles (had 15 bars on the gauge), and when I came back to the car from the store, I gained a few RR and was back up to 16 bars, and the top bar lasted for a while.

As for the brakes, every once in a while I'll start down a hill, put the car in Neutral, and push on the brakes. This scrapes any rust off of them. You can hear if they need it. They'll be making a loud rubbing sound.

The last time I was at the Morgantown dealer for service, they were kind enough to change my gearbox fluid and charge me for it, even though the manual doesn't call for it and I said I didn't want it :roll: . Oh, well. I guess it's good for another 100,000 miles.

I think I'm just going to have them replace the wiper blades. If they will sell me just the air filter, I will install it myself. Mitsubishi's parts site doesn't list an air filter for the iMiEV, but for every other vehicle, it lists the current prices at around $24 for the standard filer and $30 for their premium filter.

I'll pass on the rear brakes clean and adjust for now and just do PV1's braking-down-a-hill service.

I'll also pass on the main battery re-calibration. Totally sounds like a cash grab to do something we can do ourselves.

If I could find a way to upload an attachment, I'd post my service report here.

I'm replying to the service technician's email at the moment telling him what I want done on my Meepster. I'm tempted to explain to him that their $250 battery re-calibration service is the same thing that owners can do themselves for free. However, I think I may just wait until I pick up my car to mention that. Wouldn't want to upset a technician while they're still holding my car for ransom!

There is a battery calibration that uses the MUT 3 device and involves running the AC on Max with the windows down while you charge. It is not the same as the 2 bar recal that owners can do, but i'm still not sure if i understand what that test really does or indicates...

1.Connect the diagnosis connector to the M.U.T.-III.
2.Perform the regular charging by connecting the regular charging cable.
3.Check that the charging lamp in the combination meter is lit and the battery is charging.
4.Check that the residual main battery level indicator shows 1 segment or more. If the residual main battery level indicator shows 0 segment, charge the main battery until the battery level indicator shows 1 segment or more.
5.Select the "BMU" from the System Select Screen of the M.U.T.-III.
6.Select the "Special Function" from the BMU Screen.
7.Select the "Main Battery Capacity Automatic Measurement" from the Special Function Screen and do it. If errors occur, restart from the step 2. When any malfunction has been found, perform troubleshooting.
8.Turn on the air conditioner under the following conditions.
<Air conditioner operating conditions>

Electric motor switch: LOCK
Air flow: largest
setting temperature: highest
A/C switch: ON
MAX switch: ON

note

Capacity measurement time can be reduced if executed while the power window is fully open compared to the execution while the power window is fully closed.
Check that the "Execution status" displayed on the M.U.T.-III is "Executing". If "Not Completed" or "Not Executed" is displayed, check "Error state" , then restart from the step 2.
Check "Automatic Capacity Measurement Result History 1" and "Automatic Capacity Measurement ODO Value(Result History 1)" displayed on the M.U.T.-III.

9.Check that "Capacity Measurement Discharge Current" is "ON". If "NG/Not Executed" is displayed, restart from the step 8.
10.Leave the vehicle until the charging lamp goes out.
note Even if the M.U.T.-III is disconnected during this, the procedures cannot be affected.
11.Select the "BMU" from the System Select Screen of the M.U.T.-III.
12.Select the "Special Function" from the BMU Screen.
13.Select the "Main Battery Capacity Automatic Measurement" from the Special Function Screen and do it.
14.Check that the "Execution status" displayed on the M.U.T.-III is "Completed". If "Not Completed" or "Not Executed" is displayed, check "Error status" , then restart from the step 2.
15.Check that "Automatic Capacity Measurement Result History 1" and "Automatic Capacity Measurement ODO Value(History 1)" are updated. If not updated, restart from the step 2.
caution Do not operate the electric motor switch or disconnect the charging cable during procedure 2 to 13. If make a mistake during the work or stop the charging inadvertently before the battery is fully charged, restart from the beginning. Under low temperature condition, full charge may be judged and charging may be stopped before the full segment on the battery level indicator is shown.

The test takes 10 hours if you bring the car in while full or 6 hours if empty.

Robb, If you sign up on the Mitsu website, you can enter your VIN and get all that has been done to the car at a Mitsu dealer.

As far as warranty, mine says
"Warranty

At Mitsubishi, we are so confident in the quality, reliability and durability of the cars we build that we back our passenger cars and sport utility vehicles with extensive warranties. This list is headed by a 10-year/100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, a 5-year/60,000 mile fully transferable New Vehicle Limited Warranty, a 7-year/100,000 mile Anti-Corrosion/Perforation Limited Warranty and 5-years/Unlimited miles Roadside Assistance. So now, when you drive off in your new Mitsubishi, you'll leave with even more peace of mind, knowing you can enjoy it to the fullest for many years to come.(Excludes Lancer Ralliart, Lancer Evolution, i-MiEV and Raider - See details below.)"

But there are discrepancies on what is left/miles etc, and I think ABOVE is a written typo (says 10/100k PT lim warranty when I think it is the 5/60k ) But then again it also "excludes i-miev"
"Coverage Months Mileage Warranty Expiration* Remaining Mileage*
MAIN-DRIVE LITHIUM BATTERY - IMIEV EV ONLY 96 100000 01/31/2021 90900
NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY (BASIC) COVERAGE 36 36000 01/31/2016 26900
POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY COVERAGE 60 60000 01/31/2018 50900
RESTRAINT SYSTEM COVERAGE (AIR BAGS, SEAT BELTS) 60 60000 01/31/2018 50900
ANTI-CORROSION/PERFORATION LTD WARRANTY COVERAGE 84 100000 01/31/2020 90900
STARTER BATTERY (PRO-RATE 50% AFTER 24 MONTHS) 36 999999 01/31/2016 999999
AUDIO, NAVIGATION UNITS & ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS 36 36000 01/31/2016 26900
ADJUSTMENT WARRANTY 12 12000 Expired 0
A/C REFRIGERANT CHARGE 12 12000 Expired 0
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE 36 36000 01/31/2016 26900
WARRANTABLE TOW ONLY 60 60000 01/31/2018 50900

Road side assist
"Should you ever need it, you have access to 24-hour emergency roadside assistance for five full years (3 years/36,000 miles for Mitsubishi i-MiEV), regardless of mileage.* "

Back