Drivers side control arm cracked in half...

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porciniman

https://imgur.com/a/A4fE5ez
You can see the photos at the address above. Have visited 4 auto parts stores
to no avail. No one seems to have this control arm. Any of you have any ideas??
2016 iMiEV with 7300 miles.

Hi, where are you located? I may try to recommend some places to look for, but those would be feasible only in Europe

That thang looks like it got damaged or cracked and tore across the arm. Was there an accident or rough road pothole?

From the rust and freshly torn section it looks like it has been this way for awhile. If no replacement arms are available then i would consider having the arm removed and straightened, then welded up with some extra steel and gussets.

Don't know about the how it was damaged, only that I didn't do it.
I only drive around town and never hit a pothole, but this may have been there
when I purchased in Dec of 2021. It could be the reason I've had my traction control lights come on
after a few miles, and then come on immediately a week before the failure.
At any rate, I seem to have found the part number, 4013A296.
Before I order it, since it seems to be not returnable, I want to know if anyone could
tell me if I'm ordering the correct part. Can't find any pics of this part anywhere.
As far as welding, although I could use that option, it is illegal in my neck of the woods,
and could be an insurance nightmare should something happen. I'll reserve it as a last option.

i think that is a good part number based upon online search, and only 125 bucks after discount at some sites.

a jp source site nengun had a diagram listed for 2016 showing the parts, and their part number crosses to an OEM "4013A" number (suspension group) 4013A291 for earlier years. Couldn't find your number exactly, but other sites show it covers 2012 to 2017.
133_050D00069T.png

Your part tore thru the hole drilled in the control arm--maybe a stress-riser caused by a burr or the machine operation. Definitely a weak spot in the arm. i would have expected the "tear" to open up in an opposite manner with the weight of the car sitting on the tires and the frame. Looks like the control arm was pulled from the front to tear at the rear attach point, maybe shipping damage from holddowns?

Thanks for the info. Couldn't find any for $125, but I did manage to find an OEM dealer that had one left in stock.
Will have to wait over a week for delivery, but I'll have a new part when it's fixed.

Back