Automatic windshield wipers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

No, my i doesn't sense the rain, but it took me almost two years to notice that the intermittent wiper interval varies according to vehicle speed, since I usually use either low speed or manually pulse 'em. Try this- put the intermittent control on 'fast', and then accelerate to 40 mph or more. My wipers will switch from intermittent to continuous operation. I've yet to verify if this also speeds up the interval while remaining intermittent, but it's one more clever touch that I hadn't known about our cars.

That's awesome, I'll have to give that a try. The i-MiEV has a lot of clever touches that I don't think I could live without. The touch-to-pass feature is great, now when I do drive my spouses car (which is rare) and I pass I forget to hold down the turn signal to the first detent and let it go thinking it will give me three blinks like my i-MiEV does but it doesn't. The automotive journalist sure forgot to list these nice features.

MLucas said:
The automotive journalist sure forgot to list these nice features.
They're probably too busy playing with the nav while talking on the phone to drive, let alone notice such handy features. :D My favorite is having full manual control of the HVAC. Nothing like an AC that's forced to run just to defrost the windows to kill the range.

I'll have to try the wipers the next time we get rain. We've been dealing with our first real snow the last few days.

Yep, it seems that each interval setting for the intermittent wipers is speed-dependent. :) If i speed up, the wipers do too (but no change in continuous low or high speed operation, it's not a voltage sag issue).

I also noticed that if you have the delay set to "Fast", above 35 mph the "Mist" will swipe the wipers twice instead of just once.

The "Fast" delay on intermittent is actually three-step. While stopped (maybe low speeds as well, <10 mph), the wipers pulse every few seconds. While moving less than 35 mph, they pulse every <1 second, but definitely park for at least 1/2 a second. Above 35, they are continuous. Haven't tried the other delay settings yet.

Finally had a rainy day to try this. So handy and works out just about right for me.

Back