(Another) new owner in Massachusetts

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PV1 said:
I got so hung up on the charge times I forgot to mention the tire repair kit.

Only the 2012 US i-MiEV cable can be upgraded. They don't have an option yet for the newer cable.

Wait, the Mitsu website says the new 2016 comes with the charger that can do both the 8 and 12 amp.
Did I miss something ? I could have, it is the end of a long work day.........

PV1 said:
There is a metal cover over the kit. On the front, there should be two thumb screws that you can remove and take the cover off. I can't remember if there are two towards the back or not. The cover over the EV-ECU requires a screwdriver to remove.

The cover over the ECU requires a socket wrench, and the cover over the tire repair kit requires a screwdriver.

2015-05-28%2016.42.29-X3.jpg

PV1 said:
The easiest way to take the rear seat out is to pull up slightly on the middle of the seat and release the two tabs with your other hand. Picking one side up then trying to do the other side usually results in the first clip re-latching.

Yeah, I nearly got to that myself... Harder was putting it back in afterwards, but not too hard. I'm starting to get the hang of that.

PV1 said:
Only the 2012 US i-MiEV cable can be upgraded. They don't have an option yet for the newer cable.

I guess that means an L2 charger is in my future. I'll probably opt for a juicebox or clippercreek.

tigger19687 said:
Let me know when you want to meet to show me the New 2016 !! We could meet at the chargers in Lexington.

We should definitely hog those charges one night... Too bad we can't predict when the Tesla's will show up. Mario's? (Funny how "Tesla" doesn't automagically case correct and link :-D )

PV1 said:
Why the price jump? (rhetorical unless you happen to know why) When I checked last year they were both the same price. If you decide to sell it, let us know. I'm sure one of us could use it.

Thanks for the charging stats. The guy said they "located one in San Diego" or something like that, and that was the price he quoted. I didn't question him further.

tigger19687 said:
FYI, If you are looking for Side Airbag compliant seat covers, Costco has them (black) for $20 for both front seats. Fits nice enough (I am not that picky) and easy to install.
I went all over buy the only ones that were seat airbag complaint were either UGLY color, only had one seat cover and was over $20.

I went to the Costco website and the CoverKing stuff came up. Really nice, but $199 (for custom covers). I was shocked to see the 2016 i-MiEV come up in their model selector. It was the only 2016 Mitsubishi in the list.

I suppose I should have been clearer. The 2012 cable can be sent to a company called EVSEUpgrade. For $250, they change out the internals and make it compatible with both 120 volts and 240 volts, and newer models can have the amperage set between 6-12 amps (120 volts) or 6-13 amps (240 volts). The cable shipped with 2014 and 2016 i-MiEVs is of different design and isn't yet compatible with EVSEUpgrade's equipment. These cables are stock from Mitsubishi with the 8 or 12 amp selector, but can only be used on 120 volts.

The present options are to purchase a level 2 charging station or buy an upgraded cable from EVSEUpgrade. They currently have excess stock and this sells for $649. They also sell the Aerovironment Turbocord, which will do both 120 volts and 240 volts. If you're handy, you could build an OpenEVSE.

Funny, my cars have thumb screws for that cover, similar to the ones holding the motor room lid closed (black metal cover beneath the rear carpet). I don't understand why they would change that. Now you have to have tools to use the air compressor :| .

TY PV1 I was confused, but that isn't hard to do some days.

I can't remember what kind of bolts I have, but on the "engine" cover I have thumb bolts, but they also have a Philips head screw in the middle of that :shock: I just looked and tried to undo one thumb bolt, to no avail.

Howie, I went to Costco last weekend and they had the cheap $20 ones. They are not too bad :) You will have to see for yourself. I refuse to pay top dollar for car seats.

So I RTFM for information about those screws holding down the flat tire repair kit cover. There is a washer stuck into the styrofoam that you're supposed to use to loosen the screws. I'll have to give that a try.

Back