RogerHalifax

one month winter iMiev non-use in Canada - what to do?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:40 am

Hello,
My apologies if this question has been addressed -- I wasn't able to find a responses, so --
My iMiev will not be used in Nova Scotia while we are away for a month. It is outside. How much charge should it have?
Other precautions? MUST it be driven by a neighbour to prevent trouble?
Thank you for you advice!

veimi

Re: one month winter iMiev non-use in Canada - what to do?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 pm

For what it's worth, I had mine sit through a Toronto winter last year.

I did have two issues.

1. The 12 Volt battery went dead and the car wouldn't start. The battery was 5 years old and it became apparent when recharging it that it might benefit by adding water to each cell.

A year later, after adding water, all is well.

2. The gear shift lever indicator wouldn't go into Park even though the shift lever was in Park. As a result I couldn't start the car.

It turned out that the shift lever cable runs to a lever and switch on the left side of the transmission housing at the rear of the car. Lubricating the lever and cable solved the problem. Because these parts are exposed to the environment, it seems to me that this should be a routine maintenance procedure especially in cars exposed to road salt conditions.

joev

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:04 am

Mitsubishi recommends to leave the traction battery at 3-4 bars on the battery gauge on the dashboard.

I leave mine for months at a time (in a garage) and have never had any issues, that said, I do disconnect the negative cable on the 12v battery at the same time. You will have to reset the radio presets and clock, you also lose the stats on the RR meter. Still have the OME battery going on 7 years. Bought a back up for when it gives out.

jray3

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 am

I'll wager that a big part of the shifter/mode switch getting sticky or immobile would be not only salty roads, but the amount of time spent immobile. Mine spends more time wet than dry, but being in constant use, the friction parts stay polished.
However, this weak point was designed into the car, apparently to reuse the ICE gearshift assembly. If Mitsu had incorporated the mode switch into the gearshift housing and simply run the signal wires back, there'd be no moving parts exposed to weather.

Greasing those shifter contacts before storage rather than after would be a good move.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 102,600 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

sandange

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 pm

For 1 Canadian winter month.....
I would try and get a neighbour to use it 1 day a week .
Get him to charge it up the night before he drives it and would be nice if the charge in the battery is around 50 % or so when he's done.
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
180,xxx miles, 190,xxx km
Previous EVs
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
Total Electric miles driven 221,630 miles (257,000 km)
http://thecordstead.blogspot.ca/

PV1
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 pm

One extra caution. If the car is exposed to sub-freezing temperatures, either try to heat the battery first or charge the battery at the slowest possible rate when you bring it out of storage. Lithium ion isn't too fond of charging when the cells are too cold. They'll do it, but you run the risk of lithium plating if they can't absorb the charge quickly enough.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”