rmay635703

Re: Need a longer range ev

Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 am

JoeS wrote:Even though I agree that for this use-case (lovely chalet, BTW) a Volt would certainly be suitable and a most cost-effective selection, I can't let this comment pass
Agree, would take a wee bit of planning. :oops: :geek:

PS I also loved my Gen1 Insight.

I would have posted a supercharger map of my area but this site seems to be stuck in 1995, no image tech.

In any event I’m in mid central Wisconsin, tend to travel due north on 51 and follow the lakeshore of Lake Superior up to Presque Isle and copper harbor.

I never travel south except due to road access issues, traveling across the Peninsula takes a great deal of time (n/s)

I have always owned an EV and have considered a Bolt but even then I would still have a road trip car in the stable because about 10 of the trips I make a year would be “inconvenient “ at best.

That said if I’m using the Volt, I opportunity charge whenever possible, I have to carry a cheater since half the hotels I stay at lack a working ground.

On my trip to the Grand Canyon (driving at high speeds the whole way) the Volts small gas tank was frustrating and charging opportunities were few during the journey
One hotel owner saw me Jerry rig from the top floor down and told me he had to remove all outside outlets because of homeless vagrants blocking parking to access juice.
He was interested in how he might offer charging without risk as no hotels in the area offered EV friendly charging for the same reasons.

Ah well

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am

rmay635703 wrote:...In any event I’m in mid central Wisconsin, tend to travel due north on 51 and follow the lakeshore of Lake Superior up to Presque Isle and copper harbor....
One hotel owner saw me Jerry rig from the top floor down and told me he had to remove all outside outlets because of homeless vagrants blocking parking to access juice.
He was interested in how he might offer charging without risk as no hotels in the area offered EV friendly charging for the same reasons...
rmay635703, ya got me, and you've done me one better by dropping a cord out of a hotel top story (all I've done is stuffed power cords out ground-floor bathroom windows to the car outside).

Even a Tesla round trip to Copper Harbor from the Wausau Supercharger in one day would be tough and may not even compute, especially taking your longer route. A year ago we had contemplated a visit to that lovely part of the country (highly recommended to us) before our meetup with Ben Nelson in Madison, but at that point it would have meant a couple-of-day detour for us. For example, Copper Harbor itself has a 14-50 at the Fort Wilkins State Park (per the RVParky app), so recharging once you get there coupled with an overnight stay shouldn't be a problem. Besides, there are plenty of campgrounds and J1772 along the way but that 500-mile-day without DCFC is elusive. In addition to the Tesla, a Bolt with its 32A charger might just make it... need to do the math.

That hotel owner should contact Tesla, which has been massively seeding their wall chargers across the country and, as I understand it, also throw in J1772 in some places as well. A 240vac Tesla-->J1772 adapter works great (I have one for my i-MiEV) and gives a car like the Bolt full 32A power.

Don, it's been 2-1/2 years since we took our first cross-country Tesla trip to Key West across the barren Texas stretches which at that time were devoid of Superchargers from Phoenix all the way to Houston. A lot has changed since then and nowadays Interstate 10 is very well covered and Electrify America is on a roll putting in DCFC across the country. Love my CHAdeMO adapter for the Tesla. Anyway, where there's a will there's a way, and all it takes is a bit of time and planning and a few backup schemes... after all, this is a very low-risk 'adventure'. Don't forget, the name of the game is to avoid fossil fuel.

Meanwhile, back on topic, DougC did you end up buying a Volt? For an acceptable price we have the upcoming long-range Hyundai Kona EV, Kia Nero EV, and the Kia Soul EV (with a huge battery update) on the horizon. I recently drove a Jaguar i-Pace, but it's not my cup of tea.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 pm

DougC wrote:What kind of range does the Bolt get at 80-85 mph? That's the typical highway speed here on Friday afternoon on my route to the cottage.

While I can't say what the range is at those speeds, at 71 MPH, I did a 170 mile highway jaunt with about 45 miles left on a 100% charge (I've never gone lower than 20 miles remaining range as 0 miles looks like the shutdown point). Return trip at 76 MPH and drafting traffic, I did the same on a 90% quick charge.

I'd say you'd be hard-pressed to do worse than 150 in mild to warm weather.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

Return to “Other Electric Vehicles”