HeltElektrisk

Re: Troubleshooting and repair for On-board Charger (OBC), DC-DC Converter

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:30 am

Hi
Norway here - same problem as most of you have reported: My 2011 C-Zero (85000 km) suddently would'nt charge at home anymore. I have no error-indications in the dispalys. The 12V battery is fine (replaced two years ago). When I plug in the homecharger I can hear the charger/fan in the car starts up, and then suddently stops charging after a few seconds. The chademo charger works fine. My dealer had a look at the car and told med there where a problem with the dc-dc converter, and that they would have to replace it with a new one, at the cost at $4500.

So o found the dc-dc converter repair-video on utube that some og you at this forum had posted and started working on my car.. But: in my case neither the fuse or the two (blue) casapitors are blown... I even replaced the two capasitors to be sure (have heard that they might be blown - even if they seems fine ont the top of them)... So: I cant find any thing on the board that seems blown/damaged in any way, - so I guess my question is if anybody have any suggestions to what else might be broken?

Im tempted to buy a used replacement dc-dc converter and just switch the whole box, - but then I need to be relatively sure that this will fix my problem...

Sorry for my bad english - and I really have no clue about electric-stuff, - so keep it simple... :) thanks!

DBMandrake

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:34 am

Any chance of getting the exact fault codes the car has logged ?
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

HeltElektrisk

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:02 pm

No, I dont have a OBD-port "device"....

kiev

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:10 pm

The On-board Chargger (OBC) is in the top chamber of the unit; below that there is a coolant chill plate in the middle layer; then in the bottom chamber is a whole other board dedicated for the DC-to-DC Converter (360VDC to 12VDC) behind the bottom lid.

This bottom chamber board may be where you have a problem, there is both an input and output fuse located on that board--let's hope it is something simple as that. There is no procedure to replace either fuse in the Factory Service Manual, but it could be easily done.

It would really help to obtain the DTC from the dealer service guy to know if the issue is in the upper or lower chamber board. Or if no OBD, then how did he arrive at this diagnosis?

Good Luck and keep us posted on how this works out for you.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

HeltElektrisk

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 pm

ok. Thanks. I'll see what I can do / find out and come back with my findings.

imievnoob

Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi. I have a 2012 iMiev with similar issues to what's happening here. First of all thanks to you all for creating such an great information source! Now onto the issue.

Initially the car had the orange warning light with the exclamation mark, and would not charge when the AC charger was plugged in. The red power cable indicator on the dash would flash for a few seconds then stop. It had two fault codes:
U1113 MiEV Remote CAN t/o Not equip
P0A09 DCDC Converter Fail

The main 20a 450vdc fuse was blown (and presumably the snubber caps were partly damaged)

I replaced the fuse then when turning the car to READY the snubber caps blew up properly.

I've replaced the snubber caps and now the car goes READY and had only the fault code U1113 MiEV Remote CAN t/o Not equip, but it still will not charge with the AC charger. The DCDC seems fine as there is no DTC and the 12v battery charges at 14.4v

What next step would you brilliant minds recommend? Let me know what other information you require.

Many thanks.

misterbleepy

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:54 am

DBMandrake wrote:Another thing I would check is to make sure the gear lever is properly engaging in park mode and doesn't feel "springy". If it doesn't fully engage in park this will cause the P to flash on the dashboard when the key is on and the car also will not charge. I've had that problem before too! Solved by lubricating the linkages on the left hand side of the gearbox that go to the bowden cable for the gear lever. Also probably not your issue but worth ruling out.

Thank you for posting this - car wouldn’t charge this morning, tried the granny charger, as wall box has been problematic in the past, but still wouldn’t charge.
Made myself a coffee and started reading this thread from the most recent post, with a sinking feeling that I was going to find I had a failed OBC.
Spotted this thing to check, hopped in the car and gave the shifter a quick stir, and the P showed on the dashboard and then the car started charging ok when I plugged it in.
Phew!
(I assume you mean left hand side when facing the front of the car?)
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

DBMandrake

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 am

misterbleepy wrote:Spotted this thing to check, hopped in the car and gave the shifter a quick stir, and the P showed on the dashboard and then the car started charging ok when I plugged it in.
Phew!
(I assume you mean left hand side when facing the front of the car?)

Yes.

Look under the back of the car on the left hand side of the gearbox near the driveshaft and you can't miss it - give the pivot points and ball joints for the bowden cable levers a dose of spray grease and it should be fine after working the gear lever from one end to another.
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

misterbleepy

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:47 am

DBMandrake wrote:Yes.

Look under the back of the car on the left hand side of the gearbox near the driveshaft and you can't miss it - give the pivot points and ball joints for the bowden cable levers a dose of spray grease and it should be fine after working the gear lever from one end to another.

Thanks - something to do when it stops raining here.
Keith B.
driving with the power of 15.667 kettles

kiev

Blown Diode in the Waffle Plate

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:31 am

This is a continuation of troubleshooting of my failed OBC.

Previously i replaced the fuse and the blue snubber caps, but the OBC still would not function--i could plug in the EVVSE to get AC mains, the fan would come on and relays would click, then after ~15 seconds it would turn off the EVSE and throw a DTC error code.

So today i finally had some time and good weather to start back troubleshooting on my failed OBC. i removed the top board, then labelled and disconnected all the spade lugs on the bottom board, then used the diode check function of the multimeter to test all the diode junctions imbedded within the waffle plate following the schematic posted here: Waffle Plate Schematic

Everything tested good except for a shorted diode in the bottom left leg of the H-bridge shown as "Lower Right" in the schematic.

Now to consider how this plays for OBC failure-- was this the root cause of failure or the resulting damage from a blown fuse or the snubber caps?
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”