CZero

Re: Seized Gearbox

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:02 pm

seismic seems to have left. Bummer. Anyway, I'm dropping the car off at the mechanic on monday and he will give me a quote / fix it if its not too costly. I will let you know how it plays out.

Aerowhatt
Gold Member

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:16 pm

CZero wrote:seismic seems to have left. Bummer. Anyway, I'm dropping the car off at the mechanic on monday and he will give me a quote / fix it if its not too costly. I will let you know how it plays out.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. It's valuable information that should get recorded for others who run into the same issue!

Aerowhatt
2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015 (42.7ah at ~26K miles)
2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016 (41.5ah at ~15k miles)

CZero

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:59 am

Update: I got the car back last week. The mechanic cleaned the oil off the gearbox, took a drive, checked for leaks, let it sit for a day, checked again. He said he did not see any oil escaping. He also checked the oil level and found it ok. So he cleared the car back without any repairs.
Weird, but good news :) I will keep an eye out for more oil leaking.

CZero

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Argh! Bummer.
So the mechanic concluded all was dandy with the gearbox. I was suspicious because of the dark, greasy dirt only present in that area under the car.
So I thoroughly cleaned the gearbox and drove the car for a week.
Now when I wipe my finger across the bottom part of the gearbox it is definitely oily. I am 100% sure there is a leak.
So the car needs fixing after all... sighs...
Will keep you posted.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”