Is there a 2013 MiEV and is it going to be discontinued?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

Am seriously thinking about buying a MiEV.
As a second car it fits my driving uses 98% of the time really well.
Drive nicely, great visibility, etc.

Drove a Leaf, and yes, it's more of a car in many respects, but as best I can tell even at the base level significantly more costly.

But I hear rumors of discontinuing it... which worries me.

Is there going to be, all already is, a 2013 model?
If so, anyone know the differences?
Worth waiting for 2013 to show up at my dealer in southern Oregon where they currently only have two 2012's on the lot?

Alex

Nobody really knows for sure what Mitsubishi's plans are, but right now on AutoTrader, there are 232 i-MiEV's listed for sale. Almost all are on dealer's lots. At this stage of the game, they may just wait it out and introduce 2014's.

Since posting my question I did find a partial answer.
One guy at my local southern Oregon dealership says he saw company liturature on the 2013,
and some indications on the web suggest the 2013 is available in Canada.
Differences (of the top of my head) of signficance appeared IIRR
that the 120volt charger is faster (maybe 10 hours instead of 14)
and ability to plug into level three chargers may be standard.
Not sure I'm remembering right.

Yeah, looks possible Mitsubishi is holding back the 2013's as a favor to USA dealers to let them try to get the 2012's off the lots before they have to be agressively discounted as "last years model."

Alex

Even if the vehicle is discontinued, it will still be supported by Mitsubishi. Look at Suzuki USA: They're pulling out of the US market completely but have promised many years of parts availability for all vehicles.

Go ahead and get the i-MiEV. You'll be pleasantly surprised as you drive it more and more how nice it really is. Not to mention the best support group (us!) you'll find anywhere. :D

I purchased my i-MiEV on 29 December 2012 even though the possibility of a 2013 model existed. Why? Because my dealer was willing to offer me a great price. The dual-amperage charging cable is nice, but the existing charging cable can be modified to charge at the same higher amperage supported by the 2013 charging cable plus at 240 v. which is twice as fast as 120 v. charging. Also, 2013 prices actually increased in Canada which makes my 2012 price look even better. Now is the time to get a good bargain from a dealer.

acensor, the last couple of times I was in Medford I stopped by the Mitsu dealer - they had a significant markup on the price of their iMiEVs, so be sure to shop around and/or use your negotiating skills. If you have specific questions, peruse this forum and ask us, as salespeople in general cannot be relied upon for accurate information. If you're questioning the suitability of the iMiEV for yourself, you simply need to honestly assess your present driving habits and distances. Oregon has a nice charging network which may even satisfy your needs for slightly longer trips - but be sure you have access to an ICE vehicle for long-distance drives. If you're like many of us, you'll find the iMiEV satisfies most of your driving needs and the ICE vehicles sit unused for weeks at a time...

I picked my i up on February 21, and the dealer gave me $6,000 off the price of the car. I would've bought it regardless, but knowing this discount was in place sped things along. Mine was one of the three the dealer has had since at least last September. They sold me mine and the dealer licensed the other two as 'service vehicles' to add to the other two silver ones they've been using.

I put signs in the small windows of the back doors on mine that have the car's specs on range, recharge times, top speed, etc., as well as the name of the car and that it is all electric. If more people knew about the car, it would easily sell itself. Maybe Mitsubishi is following a similar plan to what Tesla did, put a car out there in a small number to feel out the market, then refine the car based on users' feedback. Then in 2014, go all out on a refined EV in high volumes. The hope in this is shown by Mitsubishi's unveiling of vehicles such as the CA-MiEV, with nearly 3 times the range of the i-MiEV.

As for a vehicle choice, the i has better visibility and is easier to drive than the LEAF in my opinion. This really depends on your preferences of a car. If you like a basic vehicle built for what a car is built for, then you'll like the i. If you like features like nav, bluetooth, automatic climate, and cruise control, then the LEAF may be more your style. The i-MiEV SE premium does have a nav system with Bluetooth, but neither trim has cruise. However, with the LEAF S, a charge package is available which will give you a DC Quick charge port and a 6.6 kW charger for J1772. This can be had cheaper than the i, so it really all depends on your pricing priorities and appeal of each vehicle. Both vehicles have little maintenance and cost about the same per mile based on energy usage.

That's true about your ICE vehicles. Once I bought the MiEV, the car I was driving sat for two weeks, and that was enough for the brakes to become stuck and everything else to stiffen up. I had to take it for a spin around the block just to loosen it up. Now my Dad is driving it back and forth to work, so my EV more or less replaced an SUV.

aarond12 said:
Go ahead and get the i-MiEV. You'll be pleasantly surprised as you drive it more and more how nice it really is. Not to mention the best support group (us!) you'll find anywhere. :D

Drove it at the dealer. Already pleasantly surprised.
Drove the Leaf. Leaf even the S is more costy, but in some ways "more car".
Even their S model has a few features that I'd have to move up to the upper level MiEV to get. Like the ability to set the car to pre-heat itself out in the garage while on the charger a half hour before you get in to drive.
A bit more range, charges faster.

So while MiEV is top of my EV shortlist, Leaf is not far behind.

Biggest hesitation in buying any EV now is knowing battery technology while not improving in leaps and bounds is significantly improving and several other players are coming into EVs.
If, for example, the 2014 or 2015 version of the MiEV (or any new EV priced close to it) has batteries that get even 20% more range that suddenly makes me dissappointed that I didn't wait and significantly depreciates the resale value of our 2012 MiEVs.
Tis a puzzlement.

Alex
And, Yeah, good group here. Thanks.

If you're concerned about upgraded technology in your EV, lease it. If technology hasn't improved when your lease is up, just buy the car. If technology HAS improved, give 'em back the keys and lease the next EV.

In reference to pre-heating the car... my base ES can pre-heat, even though I have to use the special remote fob to do so...

acensor, you might peruse the pertinent posts on this forum to see if it will help you make a decision. For example, iMiEV vs. Competition

Just as there will be "better" computers, tablets, phones, etc., so it will be with EVs (hopefully). In our case, we have now enjoyed our iMiEV for over a year and 12,000 happy miles (at zero operating cost, as I have solar). No regrets whatsoever and we're glad we didn't wait.

The iMiEV has Remote pre-heat/pre-cool and heated driver's seat as standard equipment on every model. I personally don't think the optional center nav console is worthwhile.

aarond12 said:
If you're concerned about upgraded technology in your EV, lease it. If technology hasn't improved when your lease is up, just buy the car. If technology HAS improved, give 'em back the keys and lease the next EV....

Yeah, thought of that. I'll re-check, but IIRR the buyout price at end of lease was VERY high.... and there was some sort of catch/penalty based on "current market conditions" that looked like the lease company is protecting ITself against the depreciation I fear (due to new technology and battery aging) at the leaser's expense.

aarond12 said:
In reference to pre-heating the car... my base ES can pre-heat, even though I have to use the special remote fob to do so...

Hmmm. That pre-heat/cool ability is one of the abilities I want, but _thought_ I had to go to the SE or buy some big upgrade package to get. So the remote fob comes with the base ES? Or can be reasonably purchased when or after buying the base ES? Is it just a "turn on heat [or AC] now" clicker? Or can it set to "turn on heat at 7:15 am?"

My local dealer has a dealer demo ES that he has to hold onto for a few more months that he has made a handshake agreement with me to sell me. He knocks of the $7500 tax credit he has already taken(which is great because them I don't have to worry about the "up to" catch on the tax credit), more for it being used (and if I'm lucky on the timing, more for by then it being "last year's model). One of my few hesitions about committing to that one was the pre-heat/cool feature.

Alex

acensor said:
aarond12 said:
Hmmm. That pre-heat/cool ability is one of the abilities I want, but _thought_ I had to go to the SE or buy some big upgrade package to get. So the remote fob comes with the base ES? Or can be reasonably purchased when or after buying the base ES? Is it just a "turn on heat [or AC] now" clicker? Or can it set to "turn on heat at 7:15 am?"
Yes, all cars come with the remote fob that can be used to control a pre-heat. I also believe it can be set to go on after a certain amount of time - like start in 9 hours from now, not a specific clock time (there's no clock on the fob). I have an ES model and we use the preheat option a bit - it really helps range and comfort in colder weather.

danpatgal said:
I have an ES model and we use the preheat option a bit - it really helps range and comfort in colder weather.

Don't mean to beat this horse to death ;) but, since you have real world experience:
How far ahead of jumping into the car do you have to turn on the heat to get it nice and toasty inside? 5 minutes? 20?
Yeah I know that depends on how cold it is in the garage but FYI my garage would rarely get below 35 degrees Farenhiet. Rarely above 90 in the summer.

Just curious -- not a pivotal buying factor.

Alex

acensor said:
aarond12 said:
If you're concerned about upgraded technology in your EV, lease it. If technology hasn't improved when your lease is up, just buy the car. If technology HAS improved, give 'em back the keys and lease the next EV....

Yeah, thought of that. I'll re-check, but IIRR the buyout price at end of lease was VERY high.... and there was some sort of catch/penalty based on "current market conditions" that looked like the lease company is protecting ITself against the depreciation I fear (due to new technology and battery aging) at the leaser's expense.

I read over my lease agreement pretty carefully and didn't see anything suggesting that they'd charge me whatever they wanted at the end of the lease. I don't think too many people would sign that. That said, the residual isn't great (although it's reasonable given the total I'm paying), but I'm paying so little that I'm happy to see where the market is at in two years.

As far as missing features go, a heated passenger seat would be the only addition I'd REALLY want, and the 2013 model does come with that. I can see where a Car Wings-style feature would be handy if I were coming back from a trip and wanted to get my car ready and warm before I got to the airport parking lot, but most days I don't really need it.

acensor, a few thoughts:

- Canada has a 2013 model. I believe CHAdeMO has always been standard in Canada, and as noted elsewhere the 2013 includes a higher capacity level 1 EVSE that can charge the i-MiEV in about 12-14 hours instead of the 22 hours the current bundled EVSE takes. Problem is I don't know if/when that will come to the U.S., or if that shorter Level 1 charging time would mean you could skip a Level 2 in your garage. Without a price drop (as opposed to the price hike they saw in Canada), I don't see too many i-MiEVs getting sold in 2013.

- speaking of which, negotiate aggressively on the i-MiEV. Mitsu might not have lowered the list price, but that's just too bad for the dealer stuck with one in inventory. The Leaf S is slightly cheaper than the iES, and that's a strong bit of leverage (especially if the Leaf S is actually on dealer lots, as opposed to a headline-grabber with a phony c'mon price that you can't get - I don't know either way yet).

- to repeat what's been said already, I have an ES, and as with all i-MiEVs, it has remote cabin pre-heating/cooling and a heated driver's seat (I guess winter travel with friends requires that they be EV enthusiasts with warm coats or offer to drive their own cars). The remote (limited-range direct RF, no smartphone app needed or available, standard on all models) also handles timed charging for off-peak rates or less than full charging.

- if you have any interest in Level 3 charging (i.e., CHAdeMO DC Quick-charge, there are a few in the greater Dallas area), I'd point out that CHAdeMO is not offered on the Leaf S - you'd have to upgrade to the SV and then tack on over $1600 more for the LED headlight/CHAdeMO package, or just go full-bore for the SL. On the i-MiEV, this is just a $700 package on the base ES, which also throws in an auxiliary battery heater. Depending on where you live relative to your local Level 3 stations, this may make the difference between taking your EV for some trips or not.

- don't overlook the Leaf's thermal management problems. Dallas gets hot, and the combination of the Leaf's battery chemistry and lack of active cooling has caused significant headaches for owners in the southwest, most famously in Arizona. The i-MiEV battery pack lacks the hefty (and costly) liquid cooling systems of those in the Focus or Volt, but does have a fan bringing in air from the passenger compartment, which seems to have been an effective compromise.

- I agree that leasing is rational given the state of the technology, but I still didn't do it. In my case, I don't really need more than 40 miles range or so, so figured the battery pack should last me a normal vehicle "lifespan", and I'm not convinced that the EV options will be as attractive/affordable at the end of a lease as just buying the i-MiEV outright today. While leasing shields you from the risk of being stuck with a car you don't want, it exposes you to the risk of losing a car you like without a desirable replacement. For me it made sense to buy, but you'll need to weigh the risks for yourself.

acensor said:
How far ahead of jumping into the car do you have to turn on the heat to get it nice and toasty inside?
In the morning, I wake up, take my shower, dry off, then set my fob to "heat". By the time I'm done brushing my hair and teeth, dressing myself, and eating breakfast, it's time to go and the car is warm. Elapsed time: Approximately 30 minutes.

Note: I do not own a L2 charger. I only use the L1 charger that comes with the car. That being said, "warm" is a relative statement. It's warmer than the interior used to be, but is probably only 70-75°F. This is fine in Dallas, but might be an issue in colder climates. I've heard the L2 chargers make the car VERY warm on the pre-heat setting.

On a semi-related note, I used the A/C the other day. (Had the baby in the car, so I couldn't put the windows down to cool down the interior.) That A/C works VERY well. I'm excited to try it on one of our 100°F+ days this summer.

My buy-out price for my i-MiEV at the end of my lease is around $23K. Not a good deal, but I really don't intend on buying it out, unless something major happens and I need to keep the car.

Hey folks,
(a) You've all been a wealth of relevant information and suggestions.
(b) I'm pretty convinced that if I were to buy an EV now the MiEV would be my first choice with the low end Leaf a close second -- albiet they are significantly different styles of cars -- if the prices in reality are close.

But, to my surprise, my wife, who was the main driving force between the "let's get something new and green NOW" came recently to the same conclusion that I had stood on before I decided to support her, do the research and got enthused about it. And particularly the MiEV. And our patterns of use and the fact that we'd keep on conventional auto, and our preference for being environmentally and socially responsible make us ideal EV buyers.

Thing is we drive between us about 10,000 miles per year. Not a lot of fuel compared to many households.
Our cars are in great shape. A 2001 forester that gets 20mpg in town and 25+ on the road, and a 2004 Toyota Corolla that gets 26+ MPG in town and 35+ on the road. Both under 85 thousand miles (barely teenagers for those car's expected life) . I meticulously maintain both, and both have projected good reliability.
If either of them seem long of tooth, unreliable, unsafe, or we didn't LIKE them, I get an EV (probably the MiEV) in a heartbeat.
But these two cars are now depreciating (both in book value and drivability) very slowly now.
So when I do the numbers seriously computing fuel costs and maintainance and conservative deprecation expected for the next 10 years (because I'd hope to keep an EV for 10years) for keeping both our cars vs. replacing the Toyota with an MiEV, it comes down in raw numbers that gas would have to average $6per gallon to have it _just _ break even in ten years. Could that happen? Sure.
Add to that the already discussed her possibility that incremental improvements in newer EV's (let alone possible battery technology breakthroughs) COULD make a 2012 EV look about as good as an 8 track tape player 5 years from today, and the penciled calculations could look even less favorable for us buying an EV today.

If we drove 30,000 or 50,000 miles a year, or as I say, if we didn't have good cars we rather like, the answer would be different.

It's tough to do an enviromental analyis (there ARE times I'm willing to pay more to put my money where my tree-hugger's mouth is --- we have 30 solar panels for home power even though if electric costs don't rise we are paying more per kilowatt-hour than if we purchased less-clean power from the grid).
I tried to to that. But as best I can do it it is not at all clear that us buying an EV would significantly reduce our enviromental footprint. It might.
Or might not. What is the carbon and environmental cost of building and delivering an MiEV to me?

ANYWAY,Without doing the analytic numbers that I did, she recently came to the conclusion that it doesn't really make compelling sense for us to jump on the EV train right now. Perhaps we'll be sorry we waited if there's a gas crisis and lines at the pump or gas soars to $7 three years from now.
Or maybe we'll be glad we waited when 5 years from now the MiEV or whatever's available is only slightly higher cost and has twice the range and all the bugs worked out and chargers are all over the place.

I'm a little dissappointed as owning and driving an MiEV would be fun, but in OUR situation a bit too much of a frivolity for now.

Thanks for all the help and support.
I may drop by again just to lurk and see how you folks are doing.
Or, who knows, if someone sideswipes as and totals one of our cars, I'll be back.

Regards,
Alex
P.S., Re the idea of leasing:The high buyout price at the end of the lease is rather an inibitor of that otherwise prudent option.

@acensor: great analysis and expression of where you are. If only more people thought about their impacts, how/what they drive, and the long term financial as well as environmental impacts, we'd all be a lot better off. As much as we love our iMiev, we probably did incur a greater environmental impact (and spent a bit more) by having purchased it as compared to having just kept my current car and bicycled more (as I have done a lot - but less so now with the EV).

Some of my rationalization to do it now was how it might affect others. As rare and expensive as an EV might be, it's a better transition for most people used to driving a gasoline car than cycling, for example. So, my hope is that others see it, think about electric driving, see how it could be cheaper, more efficient, and likely less of an environmental impact over it's lifespan, and increasingly so over time as our electric grid becomes cleaner. And collective purchases will help fund future development and lower costs as larger scale manufacturing kicks in. I think that if despite the "range" issue, if the costs (without rebates or credits) would be on par with a similar gasoline car, many more would buy one.

Of course, it is really nice and fun to drive. That is worth something.

Back