Brake Recall:Mitsubishi recalls 14700 electric cars globally

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this include U.S. or Canada versions, from what I've read so far online looks like Japan and European models are being recalled. Please post if you have been contacted from Mitsubishi regarding your North American version of Miev.

I was wondering if anyone has been contacted by their dealer about the new world-wide brake recall for the Miev?

I need to take mine in for it's "annual" next week. I'm going to ask them about it at that time. See below:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1081892_mitsubishi-i-miev-electric-cars-recalled-to-fix-braking-problem

Based on the reports so far, U.S. customers may as well just wait a bit to see if we're affected by this recall. There are significant differences between global and NA versions (though admittedly brake systems don't come to mind as a likely area for such differences), and it's possible we won't be affected. In any case, nobody we could reach would answer us until the response has been worked out and announced by corporate, so we'll all know at once.

I think we've got a duplicate thread here (with "Brake Recall"), so I'll repeat this comment/thought.

Based on the reports so far, U.S. customers may as well just wait a bit to see if we're affected by this recall. There are significant differences between global and NA versions (though admittedly brake systems don't come to mind as a likely area for such differences), and it's possible we won't be affected. In any case, nobody we could reach would answer us until the response has been worked out and announced by corporate, so we'll all know at once.

I've scheduled my annual service for this Thursday, and had the service advisor run my VIN. He says no vacuum pump recall on my car (US spec, mfg Oct. 2011) , and did not seem otherwise aware of the issue, .

NeilBlanchard said:
My father just had his i MiEV in the shop and they did two software updates, but they did not know anything about the brake recall.
Yes, the brake issue still hasn't surfaced with North American iMiEVs - maybe it never will. :?:

There was a cell monitoring unit recall last year and there was talk a few months ago that there was going to be a software (?) update (said to be this January) which could possibly solve the third-party EVSE compatibility problems.

Neil, do you know what specifically were the two software updates for? I forget, is your father running a L2 EVSE and is the Remote fully functional? If so, any change noted?

I guess all of us have got an update of the cell monitoring unit. Battery charging behaves different since then.

The pump for the breakes? Mitsu Germany does not know about.

The Boing? BBC news said the lithium cobalt batteries were fine but the battery management unit turned to carbon und burnt them down.

My Citroen c zero has no B or E mode. I do regret not to have a lighter regen mode but must admit that once you have got used to using the position of the right foot for regen level, then you are driving pretty much without brakes. I use them for emergencies, under 15 mk/h or it also seems that when you lightly press on them it increases the regen.

Your description of the C Zero's 'D' mode sounds like the North American 'B' mode in that one can adjust one's speed almost entirely using the accelerator pedal. If I had to choose to have only one of the three North American drive modes, I would choose 'B' mode, so you might have the "best" mode available even though you have only one drive mode.

alohart said:
Your description of the C Zero's 'D' mode sounds like the North American 'B' mode in that one can adjust one's speed almost entirely using the accelerator pedal. If I had to choose to have only one of the three North American drive modes, I would choose 'B' mode, so you might have the "best" mode available even though you have only one drive mode.
That does sound like "B" mode. I think Americans have "D" mode to simulate how an ICE car drives for familiarity's sake. My dad's coming into town next week and I'm sure he'll be driving the i some, so I'll have him stay in "D" mode.

Here is the official US recall notice:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V031&refurl=email

Report Receipt Date: JAN 25, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V031000
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES , SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,402
All Products Associated with this Recall
Details
2 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
SUMMARY:
Mitsubishi Motors North America is recalling certain model year 2012 i-MiEV electric vehicles manufactured December 2, 2011, through September 7, 2012. The brake system vacuum pump may fail, causing the vacuum pump to be inoperable.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the vaccum pump system fails, it will reduce available brake power which would result in lengthened stopping distances, which may increase the risk of a vehicle crash.
REMEDY:
Mitsubishi will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected vacuum pumps free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Mitsubishi at 1-888-648-7820.
NOTES:
Mitsubisihi's campaign recall number is SR-13-001. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

JoeS said:
NeilBlanchard said:
My father just had his i MiEV in the shop and they did two software updates, but they did not know anything about the brake recall.
Yes, the brake issue still hasn't surfaced with North American iMiEVs - maybe it never will. :?:
Looks like it may well affect all of us after all

http://t.autos.msn.com/news/mitsubishi-recalls-its-electric-car

Don

Don said:
JoeS said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Looks like it may well affect all of us after all

http://t.autos.msn.com/news/mitsubishi-recalls-its-electric-car

Don

I picked up my vehicle in mid December 2011, which means it had to have been manufactured prior to December 2, 2011? Guess I'll just have to wait for any contact from Mitsubishi if indeed my miev is part of recall.

Just got a call from the dealership. They are ordering the part for the brake recall and will have it next Tuesday or Wednesday, and that the repair takes about 1 hour to perform. I'll report back next week with the outcome.

I just got a call from my dealer today. Next Tuesday or Wednesday they will set up an appointment for me to come in. The service takes about an hour according to them.

Back