Wheel covers, ES model

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithim

How does one remove the wheel covers? I started to pry them off but was afraid of breaking them.
Just anticipating my first flat and thought it would be handy to know how to remove covers intact.

2012 ES, silver, with quick charge. Leased within last two weeks.

Anticipating your first flat? :shock:

You might want to read your owner's manual. There is no spare. There is a tire repair kit under the rear seat. You won't have to remove the wheel covers.

Thanks, aarond12.

I realize there's not a spare. I've read the manual. I know where the repair kit is located.
I also would rather not fill the tire full of gunk and ruin the tire pressure monitoring system.
I'm asking the question because at some time a tire will have to come off the car and the wheel cover is blocking access to the lug nuts and I'd rather not break the cover.
Any other suggestions?

Lithim said:
I realize there's not a spare. I've read the manual. I know where the repair kit is located.
I also would rather not fill the tire full of gunk and ruin the tire pressure monitoring system
You might want to read it again . . . . and open up the repair kit and look through it

The kit does not 'fill the tire full of gunk' . . . . in fact, the owners manual warns against using any other type of sealant which might do so

"Use only the Mitsubishi genuine tire repair kit. Sealant in other repair kits may not sufficiently seal the tire puncture"

As for plastic wheel covers - I've never seen any which come with a 'how to' manual. They usually pry off with the pointed end of the tire tool. I realize we don't have a tire tool because they don't intend for you to remove a wheel in the field since we have no spare, but I'm sure you'll find the covers just pry off with a large screwdriver

Don

The stock plastic wheel covers pull off pretty easily with fingers alone. They do flex to a scary degree, but can take it! For my aftermarket steel covers, I use a nylon trim tool from Harbor Freight to avoid scratchin stuff.

Lithim said:
I've read the manual.
Isn't it the absolutely worst owner's manual ever? Glad you did take the time to read it. Also, when you have a chance, practice removing the rear seat. I recommend pulling the handle on one side first, and lift up that side of the rear cushion. Repeat with the other side. Doing both at the same time is nearly impossible.

Back