kiev

Re: Power Delivery Module (PDM) aka the DC-DC Converter/Junction box on Nissan Leaf Gen1 (wiring info)

Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:42 pm

TrueSoln wrote:...

20% duty cycle is 15v
50% duty cycle is 14v

I think I recall it ranges up to 80% the higher the duty cycle goes the lower the voltage out put will be

So you might want to put some limits on your PWM
To go from 20% to 80% max, or just set to 50% to stay at 13v

In the schematic of post #5, The potentiometer on the input of the op amp can be used to adjust the duty cycle or pulse width. If a fixed voltage is desired, then the pot can be replaced with two resistors to set it to a fixed value.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

TrueSoln

Re: Power Delivery Module (PDM) aka the DC-DC Converter/Junction box on Nissan Leaf Gen1 (wiring info)

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:57 pm

@kiev you might like this : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4579
I start new thread with details of onBoard charger in Gen1
I altered the diagram to make little easier to follow and added on plug info so can find them

At moment working on trying to get the standard charger to work

kiev

DC/DC Converter/Junction box on Nissan Leaf Gen1 (wiring info)

Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:54 pm

i opened up a Gen 1 DC/DC Junction box and have some findings to report.

It is a dumb and simple box with no CAN buss service--basically 4 big ass Panasonic relays, a Panasonic High Voltage isolation board to measure the voltage during Chademo Quick Charge, a Denso DC/DC converter to charge the 12V starter battery, and a HV connector Interlock string that will inhibit the vehicle systems unless all six of the HV connectors are inserted into their respective positions, and 4 fuses. It's a heavy unit weighing 39.8 lbs with the PTC, A/C, Inverter, DCQC, and Pack harness cables connected.

The DC/DC converter unit is like a separate box inside the box, and it will be somewhat difficult to reverse engineer because the reference designators are missing on some of the circuit boards.

The interlock system is powered by the M/C relay activation thru fuse #73 that supplies 12V to pin 6 of J12; it can be bypassed using a jumper between pin 6 and pin 5 of the J12, i.e. using a jumper inside the box from the Inverter (Green taped pair) Light Green wire socket to the Pink wire socket of the PTC Heater (Violet taped pair).

Wiring colors for J11 and J12

kiev

DC-DC Converter/Junction box on Nissan Leaf Gen1 (wiring info)

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:52 am

The PWM frequency is 8 Hz, and the duty cycle for 13V (13.5%) and 15V (55%) is shown here from the FSM. But nearly all the reports from diy folks using the DCDC in projects indicate an opposite trend, in that higher duty cycle reduces the output voltage...? Is the FSM in error.

Last edited by kiev on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiev

Discrepancy: DC-DC Converter/Junction box on Nissan Leaf Gen1 (wiring info)

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:27 am

i found an error in the POWER SUPPLY, GROUND & CIRCUIT ELEMENTS, aka PG section of the FSM for the High Voltage connector polarity for the Quick Charge harness into the DCDC Junction Box. This may be why Jim H. burned up his first DCDC when doing bench testing (reversed the polarity) mentioned in his video in post #1.

Comparing with the Vehicle Charging Section, VCS of FSM shows the error:

Another wiring diagram in the EVC section but with the correct polarity:

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”