kiev

Re: Not able to drive. P1A15 error.

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:35 pm

i would suggest using a stiff thin metal rod or wire to insert into the backside of the connector to attach the probe, to make sure you are getting good contact to make the voltage reading. Not sure if your reading was good based upon the pictures? Also make sure the black lead is clipped or pressed to a good ground.

Terminal 107 should read "12V aux battery voltage" when the key is in ON position, and read less than 1V when the key goes to START and car goes to READY.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

kiev

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Gencis wrote:Today ...
Before starting, I charged 12V battery and left charger connected when starting the car.

Not a good practice to leave a chargger connected while starting.

What was the actual battery voltage after charging with key OFF and then with key ON, This is the last time i will ask about this, but if you expect any help then you must supply this data every time until it is ruled out to be an issue.

Gencis

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:15 am

Kiev, I must apologize for the incorrect information. It seems I was measuring yellow wire at C-106 connector instead of C-111.
This idea that I was measuring the wrong wire came to me only today.

Now about the battery. As I did not have a new battery, I decided to try my charger"s function "recondition + 14,7V". After fully charged, the battery was charged up to 13,25V. After putting it in the car, it showed 13,12V. The car started, I was able to drive for 12 km and after that, I was able to charge the car
But today, when I found that I was measuring the wrong contact, I decided to measure it again. The battery voltage was only 12,69 V (last night we had -18C). I was not able to start the car. I got error P1A15 again, yellow warning sign, and red battery sign. I tried to measure the voltage at contact 107 and it was 0V in the positions ON and START.
I deleted the error and tried to start the car after 10 minutes. The battery voltage was now 13,48V before the starting. The car started and battery voltage became 14,63V with turned-on headlamps.
I tried to drive a car in the shed back and forth. Then turned off and again on. I got a yellow triangle warning light but the car was able to drive back and forth. I turned it off and again turned it on. The warning light disappeared without deleting the error.
After few days I will try to start it again. And see the situation.
Then I plan to buy new battery and see if that helps.

kiev

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:13 am

i'm glad to hear that you are having some success with starting. The reconditioning seems to have worked and charged the aux battery, and 12.69V is a good reading especially when so cold. Check the voltage again after a few days to see how well it is holding up.

But such cold temperature is rough on any battery, and it may be too cold for the Lithium pack, or somehow related to the slow charge-up of the big capacitor in the MCU or to the measuring circuits in the bottom plenum of the MCU.

i'm not sure what are the temperature limits for operation of the meiv?

Gencis

Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:52 am

In the imiev manual I found this information:
do not store your vehicle at ambient temperatures below -13F (-25C) for over 7 days. The temperatures may damage the main drive lithium-ion battery.
Mine came from Minessota and has battery heating which should automatically turn on at -27C. But do not know if it works, as we never had such a low temperature in the past 4 years. It would be good to change the automatic battery heating value to -15C . I tried to ask but did not get any information about this system. Maybe someone from Canada would know something?

kiev

Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:08 am

That's interesting. i have never seen or studied the heater circuit--wonder if it must command the main contactors in order to access the HV to power the heaters, or if it is using the 12V aux battery directly to power the heaters?

Couldn't find any information about the optional pack heater in the FSM.

Gencis

Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 pm

I cannot say much. This option I found in the car specification list which I received together with other car documents. And few sentences I found in the manual. That is all. It would be interesting to get some more info and electric diagram to be possible to override control of the circuit.

Gencis

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:26 am

Tried to start car after several days. I got the same error and the same things happened.
So I decided to wait till we have some warmer days and to buy new battery. Then I will see if the problem still persist.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”