Re: 2010 obc fail.....yep another

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:50 pm

i was under the assumption my issue was at the relay, as when its energised, it has no reaction.
tho i will have to pull off waffle to correctly repair.

as for the below having a glance at it it seems straight forward but im also cautious in my ability to intemperate correctly. i suppose time will tell.

heading into town tomorrow does anyone have a link for the relay so i can hopefully find a replacement one.

cheers all for the help thus far. im getting excited to have my brick rolling again =D

kiev

Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:22 am

686579 wrote:i was under the assumption my issue was at the relay, as when its energised, it has no reaction.
tho i will have to pull off waffle to correctly repair.

A link to the relay datasheet is in post 2 on page 1 of the OBC Troubleshooting thread.

Did the relay not make click/contact when you applied 5V to the coil contacts? It's not clear from your previous notes that it was energized.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:15 pm

sory yes i tested the relay by checking resistance across nutural then i energised it with 5v as sugested, it made a click but no change in the resistance(it was a close circut, sugesting its a naturaly closed circuit ?)

coulomb

Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:19 pm

686579 wrote:i was under the assumption my issue was at the relay, as when its energised, it has no reaction.

Don't forget you need to get the polarity correct, else the diode there will short the power supply. Or if the power supply is strong enough (won't take much), it will destroy the diode. Having the diode not working will allow spikes of voltage to destroy other parts of the circuit.

You need to apply 5 V such that the diode doesn't conduct (positive to the stripe on the diode).

Edit: oops, didn't see your last post. If it clicks, you're probably applying power OK. If the relay clicks but doesn't short the pre-charge resistors, it needs replacing, obviously.

Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:49 pm

my plan is to hopefully pry it open, from the top, visually inspect, manually override while ac charging, to prove that's the only issue. if it is ill replace the relay. if not then the car haha(joking...not really )

Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:54 am

more testing done, relay works resistors work. capacitors work(tho i would like to confirm how they would be checked i checked connection between polls and inverter cables. but im unsure where to check upstream)

the black capacitor and the resistors have no visible cracks or damage/
resistors checked ok.

im at a loss as to what to check next tho.... any ideas ?

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”