Test of elements for replacing LEV-50

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpbE

Hi
My name is Dmitry
I live in Russia Saint Petersburg
I have a Mitsubishi I-Miev 2010 mileage 85000 km Japan right hand drive
Battery 65% Soh
I am currently researching replacement items LEV 50
wgxiti
http://prntscr.com/wgxiti

Is cell #18 your lowest that needs to be replaced?

In the comparison test data, was the LEV50 a used cell versus new cells from Sony and E?

What are the physical dimensions and designation of the Sony cell?

The post an image, place the link between "{Img} {/Img}" replace curly braces with square brackets, "[" and "]". This will be inserted into your message if you press the Img button at the top of the message entry screen. It won't let me type the exact format into the message because it is a command.

But your photo site needs to supply you with a link to the image suitable for forums or bulletin boards, the links you have posted above are not the right format to work with embedded images on the forum.

Для русскоговорящих я доступен по телефону (Ватсап вайбер) +79II I82 78 78
ТАблица сравнения LG E63 , Sony , LEV-50
Показывает мне что если я поменяю элементы то емкость будет примерно такой же как сейчас.
Но с LG я уменьшу вес на 50-60 кг.

Comparison table LG E63, Sony, LEV-50
Shows me that if I change the elements then the capacity will be about the same as now.
But with LG I will reduce the weight by 50-60 kg.

LG E63 4.1-> 3.6v = 23.Ah

LEV-50 4.1-> 3.6v = 23.45 Ah :lol: :lol: :lol:

What chemistry do the replacement cells use?

The LEV50 is old chemistry, I believe it's LMO (Lithium Manganese Oxide). It's hard to get those cells any more. Most modern cells are NMC (Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide). The curves are different enough that the iMiEV's BMS will think that new cells are terrible, and will give a low estimated range remaining, and this estimate will get worse with time.

I've tried current spoofing, with initial success, but eventually it gets really unreliable. This was on a vehicle I don't own, I was just celled in to try to help. There is not enough data to know what's going on as yet.

Others have also reported difficulty with just replacing the cells, unless LEV-50 or LEV-50N cells are used.

Edit: the LG E63s are definitely not a suitable chemistry, unless you do something drastic like replacing all the CMUs (Cell Management Units), generating all the CAN messages that the BMU (Battery Management Unit) needs. Or replacing the BMU as well, generating and handling all the CAN messages between the BMU and the other computers.

Back