valdisvi

What is needed amount of coolant for conditioner?

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:53 am

Can anybody tell, what is needed amount of coolant for conditioner?
I suspect my car doesn't have enough, because it is 8 years old I hear bubbling sounds, when it is working (and any cavitation means, there is not enough pressure in liquid). I could add coolant at my local car service, but they don't know, how much is needed, and I couldn't find any information in car repair manual.

kiev

Re: What is needed amount of coolant for conditioner?

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:27 am

There should be a little yellow tag along the upper edge of the hood opening that lists the A/C specs. Mine has this info:

Charge HFC-134a 11.5 oz (0.325kg)
Lubricant MA68EV

There is also some instructions molded into the plastic of the air duct to the left of the battery that says to access the charge port, to remove the battery cover and the duct in that order.

i can post some pictures if necessary.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

Don
Site Moderator

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:28 am

When you add refrigerant to an existing A/C system (or even a brand new one for that matter) you don't do it by measuring the amount - You add refrigerant until the pressures are correct. If you take it to any A/C shop who knows what they're doing, they can A.) Check to see if the refrigerant is low and B.) Add refrigerant if needed to bring the charge up to the correct amount - They won't need to know the total capacity of the system. There is some amount already in there, so you only need to add the amount that's missing . . . . not the full amount of the system capacity

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

ed5000

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:44 am

Most ice cars today have compressors with mechanical shaft seals that leak refrigerant all the time and most mechanics can do a good job at guessing how much refrigerant to add with a little experience. But with our hermetic or semi-hermetic compressors which are completely sealed, weighing in the charge with the factory recommended amount is usually the best and most efficient. That's one of the beauties of our electric cars.

An ev usually has over 300 volts available to drive the compressor, where as, the ice car only has 12 vdc available, thus the need for a rotating shaft seal, magnetic clutch, belts, etc. to drive the power hungry compressor. Can you imagine if they put an ice style compressor on an ev? It would never get to turn at stops or when sitting in traffic, etc.

My wife still occasionally drives her 2003 Explorer dinosaur and I have to add refrigerant about every two years. I don't care how accurate the charges is because the refrigerant is always slowly leaking out so it's never going to have the most optimal charge anyway. The whole vehicle is so hugely inefficient plus it has all that glass; most cars are a rolling greenhouse on wheels anyway.
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

Don
Site Moderator

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:41 am

ed5000 wrote:Most ice cars today have compressors with mechanical shaft seals that leak refrigerant all the time and most mechanics can do a good job at guessing how much refrigerant to add with a little experience. But with our hermetic or semi-hermetic compressors which are completely sealed, weighing in the charge with the factory recommended amount is usually the best and most efficient. That's one of the beauties of our electric cars.

Weighing the charge can work, of course, but that would mean evacuating the system completely so you know there's no refrigerant already in the system and that would seem to be less efficient and wasteful of any refrigerant already in the system - Adding just enough to top it off would seem more efficient to me

The fact that an iMiEV with it's sealed compressor is low on refrigerant pretty much means that something other than the compressor is leaking refrigerant, so just evacuating and recharging the system probably isn't going to solve the problem for very long - The leak would continue and the new refrigerant would eventually be lost

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

ed5000

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 am

I guess I was missing the point. If there's a leak, then it's like an ice car anyway. :lol:
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

Return to “Instruments - Radio/USB/Nav - CAN - Climate Controls - Remote”