Add another OBC Failure

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
Koorz nearly left me in a jam tonight. Drove it instead of the Bolt due to snow, got to work with less than half a charge, plugged in, and no charge. Of course, I didn’t find out until I went to leave. Thinking that it might have been the charging station at work, I went two miles down the road to another station. The charging icon did its usual thing, but right when the charger is supposed to ramp up, the ECU Warning light came on and the car shut down. Luckily, my DC-DC converter still works, but I can’t charge on AC. I think the car has enough to make it to the Mitsubishi dealer.

Wouldn’t be an issue if one of the two quick chargers on the way home was working. *poke* *poke* EVGo and/or Nissan.

If it matters, Koorz gets a level 1 charge roughly once a week and is only driven 5 miles a day most trips.

PV1 said:
... I think the car has enough to make it to the Mitsubishi dealer.

You might get to keep the old one if you ask the dealer, after it gets released on the scrap list (6 weeks to 2 months). Then it would be informative to open the cover and see if it failed on the AC input or DC output side.

It's so sad that these things aren't holding up, like really, the charger should last a long time.

Well, there’s been a development. After two failed charges last night. I try this morning on 110 volts and it charges. I then switched to a level 2 unit and is charging. I’ve gained about 10% charge so far this morning.

I’m trying to get hobdrive installed now so I can check for error codes. I’d like to know what happened, unless I was lucky enough to get two stations in a row with dirty pins last night.

Well, it charged to 70% and stopped. I replugged it and it continues charging. I have CaniOn running to log data. So the charger may not be bad, but on its way to failing.

PV1,

Well, it charged to 70% and stopped. I replugged it and it continues charging. I have CaniOn running to log data. So the charger may not be bad, but on its way to failing.

It may be on its way to failing. My first charging problem "fixed" itself and the car charged fine for 3 days before the OBC stopped working for good. Keep it close home so you don't get stranded.

1pk said:
It may be on its way to failing. My first charging problem "fixed" itself and the car charged fine for 3 days before the OBC stopped working for good. Keep it close home so you don't get stranded.
That’s what I figured. I charged it to 95% and left it at work, since the dealer is only 7 miles away from there. Family dropped off the Bolt so I could drive that home. I’m hoping the car kept a code so the dealer has something to work with.

Koorz is 8 years old, so I would consider that good for 1st gen EV hardware. And I have to give props to Mitsubishi for extending the charger warranty in light of the failures. Most other manufacturers would have to be forced into a recall.

kiev said:
You might get to keep the old one if you ask the dealer, after it gets released on the scrap list (6 weeks to 2 months). Then it would be informative to open the cover and see if it failed on the AC input or DC output side.

It's so sad that these things aren't holding up, like really, the charger should last a long time.
It is sad, somebody has made a design error in the onboard charger that's for sure. Far too many of them failing at "a certain age" when it shouldn't be happening.

As mine is a 2011 with 60k miles on it it's starting to make me a bit anxious as well, and helps convince me that selling it and moving onto something else (for many other reasons too) is the right thing to do, before I too get caught out.

Unlike in the US, there has been no admission from Mitsubishi/Peugeot/Citroen in the EU/UK about any "durability issue" with the charger and no offers to replace chargers outside warranty, despite the fact that they almost certainly have the same design flaws. If they die, we're on our own over here.

Just got Koorz back from the dealer. It tested good for them (which I was expecting) and fully charged without issue at home last night. I have it plugged into the same station at work to see if it stops before full charge again.

My charging troubles have returned. Been driving Koorz this week and charging at work. Day one and two, everything was fine. Day three, had one hiccup but a replug fixed it. Today, I replugged four times, then switched to a different station and replugged a few more times, each time the car only acts like it’s charging for about a minute. I tried cleaning the contacts in the charge port, but no improvement. As it sits, I’m over 20 miles from home with 16 miles of range, although there is now a functioning quick charger I can use.

A quick video of what’s happening. I don’t have my Android phone with me to see details.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0uafeT_c1mMW-wn_ODG-DGvwQ

Did you have a door or the trunk open? It seems like i have had a no-charge event happen when a door was open, maybe just a coincidence but worth a try.

There are so many faults which will set the HV error light that a DTC readout is really needed to know where to start.

Both with door open and closed, although I did get it to charge on level 1 just now with the door closed. I’ll let it get some charge, then try level 2 again.

Made it home last night after a near full charge on level 2 (I unplugged before it finished). Went home, fully charged on level 1 with no issues. Back at work, it fully charged on level 2 with no issues.

Could it be the MiEV remote transceiver having issues and not the charger? A level 1 charge seems to reset something and let the car charge on level 2 without any cutouts. My previous datalogs from March show no signs of trouble from the battery or AC input.

Back