LOWRACER

PREPARATION FOR COLD SEASONS

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:52 pm

At first I've got insulated all the doors:

Original door:

Close all holes:

Insulation of the heating system:

Original PTC-heater:

I'd change the 12V/32Ah lead battery with a selfmade 12.8V/48Ah LiFePO4(Headway):

Have a good trip!

Don
Site Moderator

Re: PREPARATION FOR COLD SEASONS

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 am

Nice work with all of the insulation projects! I'm sure that's going to make a real difference this winter

I don't really understand your choice of using the Headway cells to replace the stock 12 volt battery. 1.) They are very expensive, 2.) They were designed for very high rates of discharge (up to 10C, even 15C for short bursts) which the car's 12 volt battery will never experience, and most importantly, 3.) The cars DC to DC converter was designed to recharge a standard automotove battery and not a LiFePO4 battery, so I really wonder how long your new battery is going to last - It needs a regulator to shut off the charge at a very specific voltage

If you felt the need to change out the cars 32 Ah wet cell, I think an automotive AGM would have been a better, cheaper choice, as it's more compatible with the cars installed charging system. Here's a good candidate for only $110. http://thesolarstore.com/batteries-acce ... fhu=353634

I hope your experiment works out well and your battery lasts a long time time . . . . but since you don't need a battery designed for hig discharge rates, I think the AGM would have been a better choice - It will surely be cheaper to replace

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon

MLucas

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 am

Nice work on the door insulation. I'm definitely going to look into this and the heater insulation.

Thanks for the pictures.

Like Dylan...I went electric.

• Purchased: June 29th, 2012
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2013 - 25,431 km / 15,802 miles
  • Mileage on June 29th, 2014 - 51,286 km / 32,616 miles

List of Oil Spills: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

DonDakin

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Hey Lowracer,

We have the same car (same color and mag's).

Thanks for the pictures. I started the heater insulation on the weekend. Got most of the hoses done. It's really tight in there....

For the doors can you write up the procedure to remove the interior finishing ? I don't want to snap any plastic parts and since you have already done it you know how they come off.

Thanks again for the pictures and inspiration.

Don.....

JrCRXHF

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Going to run stock and see how things go the only thing i would be worried about with what you did on the heater below the car is any salt that you get in there will be trapped and eat at the parts worse.

but besides that looks good should help you out.

LOWRACER

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Don wrote:Nice work with all of the insulation projects! I'm sure that's going to make a real difference this winter

I don't really understand your choice of using the Headway cells to replace the stock 12 volt battery. 1.) They are very expensive, 2.) They were designed for very high rates of discharge (up to 10C, even 15C for short bursts) which the car's 12 volt battery will never experience, and most importantly, 3.) The cars DC to DC converter was designed to recharge a standard automotove battery and not a LiFePO4 battery, so I really wonder how long your new battery is going to last - It needs a regulator to shut off the charge at a very specific voltage

If you felt the need to change out the cars 32 Ah wet cell...

I know exactly what you mean. The LiFEPO is very expensive, but it has got a very good performance! The shut off voltage per cell is 3.65Volts, 4pcsx3.65V= 14.6V
The controller charge with 70A and 14.2V! :!:
All electric power(12V&330V) you'll take with you is an big advantage.
For 2 times I run my traction battery flat, the car standing in a forest and hazard lights are flashing nearly the whole night!
If the "Battery-Turtle" comes, all 330V systems without the motor shut down.
You'll have only the 12V system, lamps, seat heating, fan, wiper.....

So, it's not a must-have, it's only an idea what's possible! :mrgreen:

sandange

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:53 am

Great work Lowracer

That's a major mod & improvement your doing there and lot of work.
Thanks for sharing and all the great pics.

I had a look under the car this morning using my little hydraulic jack and decided I'm not going to attempt this in my little garage without a proper lift.
Made an appointment with my favorite corner garage mechanic to evaluate the heater & pipe insulation work to be done.
Having a hard time locating the Armaflex insulation sheets locally. The pipe sleeves were easily available at the local hardware store.

I don't think I'll be doing the cabin insulation though, I'll it try this winter as is and evaluate.
Last edited by sandange on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2019
Previous EVs
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
200,000 km , 124.000 miles.
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
http://thecordstead.blogspot.ca/

jray3

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:51 am

Hey LowRacer, have you got a buddy with an unmodified i? It would be great to park them side-by side a few times this winter to document the rate of temperature change in each.
Otherwise- on the door insulation it looks like you covered the speaker grilles with duct tape. Doesn't that muffle the sound?
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 110,300 miles
2016 KIA SOUL EV, 90 kW, 27 kWh, 34k miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh

LOWRACER

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:35 pm

jray3 wrote:Hey LowRacer, have you got a buddy with an unmodified i? It would be great to park them side-by side a few times this winter to document the rate of temperature change in each.
Otherwise- on the door insulation it looks like you covered the speaker grilles with duct tape. Doesn't that muffle the sound?

At the rear doors aren't any speakers, you can close the grilles!
At the front doors are 16cm diameter speakers, cut the insulation exactly out and duct tape the insulation around the speaker!
So you'll get a much better sound! :D

I've checked the temperature again, it's exactly 84.5C°

evcar

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 am

very nice work! so you now have your own "winter pack".
I'm quite close to you with even colder winter.
I'm in Poland driving Peugeot iOn (same as iMIEV).
Here we have sometimes even -30C° in winter for two weeks.... but commonly rather up to -10C° between January-February....

I thought the more important thing is SALT on roads during winter period. In Poland it's very bad making big corossion when not cleaned. And I think it would be important to mount engine cover from bottom to protect against salt... what do you think?

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”