Don
Site Moderator

Re: Hi a new guy here - some general questions

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:20 am

If a quick zero to 100 km time is important to you, any small EV will be problematic - While they will get up there relatively quickly, doing so on a regular basis will greatly reduce your overall range. It's just not how most of us drive EV's

The early model Leafs here in the USA did experience far more battery problems and a greater loss of capacity than we do with our iMiEV's - If you're looking at a 70,000 km Leaf, inspect it very carefully and drive it far enough to get an idea of the actual, rather than the 'claimed' range

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:09 am

Despite being on the world market for a couple of years before 2011, the i-MiEV was the second 'modern' BEV in the US market, after the Nissan Leaf. For me, it was all about the regen, the super-tight turning radius, and the capacious cargo area which had literally twice the volume of a Leaf's with the back seats down. Besides, it's fun to drive compared to the stodgy Leaf.

Time has shown that the Leaf's battery has serious degradation issues, whereas our i-MiEVs seem to be hanging in there, at least up to 100,000 miles. Some of us take care of our batteries better than others, and for that we might now be being rewarded.

Whichever electric car you finally settle on, be prepared to abandon your ICE vehicle, as the BEV will quickly become your primary car.

Although I am not happy with the i-MiEV's 1-2 second ramp-up delay after one stomps on the accelerator, in real life it is rarely a problem and on our notorious California freeways I have never ever had a problem accelerating to match and then stay with the traffic flow, which is often way over the 65mph (105kph) speed limit,
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

ul9601

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Yes the battery degradation problem of Leaf was one of the factors made me consider i-miev. As for the acceleration, it's not how I normally drive but I'd like to have it on tap in case I need, especially 0-50kph, perhaps I'll need to sample some more.
As for price, how does i-miev compare against Leaf in the UK & the US, for similar mileage & range? It's hard to justify buying an i-miev (based on limited sampling I had) when a comparable Leaf is available at the same price with more variety. I'd lean towards i-miev if the price was at least 20% less.

My ICE station wagon will be a back up when I have to haul big stuff or go on a long journey.

I'd be interested how Mini EV would be like as it is only marginally bigger has a wheel at each corner. Not as practical being 3 doors but that's not much of an issue for me.

The other thing occurred to me was, while i-miev regen is something good to have but it feels like it's neither here nor there compared to i3, which is pretty much a one-pedal car. That said, I guess it's something you get used to.

Thanks for the feedback.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Regarding acceleration, I gleefully like to show these monster vehicles around me just how sprightly the i-MiEV is. That said, stomping down on the Tesla's accelerator is second-to-none when it comes to exhilaration.

Agree with you regarding regeneration, as I've been a strong proponent of heavy regen for years, as well as fingertip control over regen (such as a paddle or the joystick I had on my modified Gen1 Insight). I also want to temper heavy regen with the ability to have zero regen and not have to kick the car into Neutral to do that. I haven't driven an i3 lately (the first ones had superb regen which was subsequently reduced by BMW), but the Chevy Bolt has one-pedal driving with a simple paddle and the Kona EV / Kia Niro EV have two paddles (one increases regen the other decreases it) and which actually provide a zero-regen setting. Hey, the world is evolving and manufacturers are finally responding as customers like to be able to adjust the car's regen settings (as well as creep) for themselves. Don't forget, the i-MiEV's design is over ten years old but yet provides three different regen settings (4 if you include Neutral).

Lots of new electric cars are on their way, so they'll hopefully only get better and more EV-feature laden. The experimental electric Mini of ten years ago (only leased) was absolutely loved by those who drove them, and did not want to give them back!

Around here, a used 2011 Nissan Leaf (and its questionable battery) can be had for US$4500, I helped a fellow buy a nice 2012 i-MiEV with CHAdeMO for US$4000 earlier this year. The peppy little Fiat 500e (which has never had a DCFC option) goes for about $6500, the really peppy small Chevy Spark can be had for $US5500, BMW i3 are still over US$10K, and then there are the newer cars just coming onto the used car market such as the Chevy Bolt now in the low US$20Ks, with older Teslas being the bargain of the century IMO. As with all used cars, it all depends...

Have fun exploring.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

ul9601

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:32 pm

I see there isn't much difference between i-miev and leaf there. Still that's half the money we'd pay over here, but then everything is more expensive (at least car-wise) here anyway...
I think it's worthwhile investigating further into the direct auction option from Japan, especially cheaper ones.
I'll keep you guys posted.
Cheers.

ul9601

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:16 pm

I received an email from Mitsubishi NZ with a NZ spec i-miev brochure - they told me it's same as Japanese spec cars and sold around 30. If anyone s interested i can forward it.

DBMandrake

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:29 am

ul9601 wrote:I received an email from Mitsubishi NZ with a NZ spec i-miev brochure - they told me it's same as Japanese spec cars and sold around 30. If anyone s interested i can forward it.

Wow, only 30.

In the UK there are approximately 200 i-Miev, 200 C-Zero and 400 Ion. Sounds like a lot but not when you consider they're spread among a population of 65 million vs <5 million!

They're a very rare sight here. I've only ever seen two on the road other than mine, ignoring any I've seen at EV meet ups etc which don't really count... Even at charging stations I have never encountered another owner of one of these charging!
- Simon

EV: 2011 Peugeot Ion
ICE: 1997 Citroen Xantia V6

ul9601

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I've not seen one on the road here myself either (other than the couple I went to check out last weekend) - not sure if that number 30 is NZ New registered or overall. I presume ex-Japanese imports are mainly earlier models and brought over the past few years, when the EV market has picked up significantly.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:30 pm

Starting back in 2012 we had an enterprising member (iMiEVNZ7) who was trying to get an i-MiEV going as a rental car in New Zealand, but was stymied by a lack of supporting infrastructure. For his trials and tribulations you might read a few of his threads/posts:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=289&p=1332

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1912&p=14602#p14602

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1677&p=13981#p13957

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1677&p=13981#p13959

Haven't heard from him in three years, but you might send him a PM.

And regarding owners in your neck of the woods -

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2366

ul9601

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Interesting read, Joe.
Just as well he couldn't get the cars, I think he would've struggled big time if he went ahead with the plan!
But he did manage to pick up a bargain, given RRP was ~NZD60k.

Return to “Buying/Leasing the iMiev”