DocJr

Re: Battery Replacement - Lessons Learned

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:04 pm

So week one at the dealership ended with me filling out a form for Mitsubishi describing my problem. My Service Writer has been very positive so I have my hopes up. I actually saw an Outlander PHEV plugged-in at the Mossy dealership so I thought that the charger they have did work. Fingers still crossed!

BarryP

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Well, I’m another victim of a pack going south. On Aug 29th my car would only charge up to 13 bars. A week later --- 12 bars. Our Mitsi dealer is in Pocatello; about 50 miles. I had to cover the tow there because I couldn’t prove it was a bad pack. Luckily my Allstate card covered the whole tow. After a week they asked if I wanted to BUY a new pack for a mere $6000 (can’t remember exact cost). I replied “What I took it here because it would charge up all the way and it’s going to leave your shop with the exact same problem?” They tried to say there was a 20% normal degradation. I pointed out “Not in one day!”. So they did several tests with headquarters. They had me fill out a form stating the problem. Mitsubishi determined I had a bad pack and was covered under warranty. So I waited 2 weeks for delivery. Then it took about 3 days to install. Then the dealer towed the car to my house. I noticed they cleaned my car and replaced my burned-out dome light for free. Thanks. Now it’s working beautiful! I sure missed the car. It is
1. so much cheaper to drive
2. and it doesn’t stink up the garage with a gas smell
3. easier to drive than a gas car
4. I like ‘filling’ in my garage rather than a gas station.
5. Nice high platform for hauling stuff
6. quiet
Other data points:
1. I still have the original 2012 12V battery. It is still measuring well.
2. I’m the original owner; bought the 2012 model in 2013.
3. I do L2 charging every night.
4. I average 30 miles per day. I have around 65k miles.
5. I do not have Canion. I just recognized the tell tale sign of a bad pack by it not charging all the way.
-Barry
Bought iMiev June 6, 2013, Now leaving electrons in my wake @ ~1000miles/month
Original owner Prius 2002 275,000+ miles
Original owner Prius 2009 125,000+ miles

kiev

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:26 pm

BarryP wrote:Well, I’m another victim of a pack going south. On Aug 29th my car would only charge up to 13 bars. ...

Other data points:
1. I still have the original 2012 12V battery. It is still measuring well.

That's a great story, Barry, and with a happy ending (new pack).

What maintenance have you done with the 12V? Do you use a float chargger on your 12V Aux battery to keep it topped up and reduce sulfation? Add water? etc.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

BarryP

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:22 am

The ONLY thing I have done is add a little bit of distilled water to keep the level in between the 2 lines.
And in my town the temperature has never gone above 98F in the summer. So the cooler weather may help. I’m just amazed how this classic 12v battery keeps on going.
Knock on wood.,,
-Barry
Bought iMiev June 6, 2013, Now leaving electrons in my wake @ ~1000miles/month
Original owner Prius 2002 275,000+ miles
Original owner Prius 2009 125,000+ miles

DocJr

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:10 am

Almost the same exact story here (although no tow needed, and, I was so stoked that my car was fixed, that I wouldn't give the dealership the time to wash it!). So exactly three weeks after I dropped it off, I have my car back. Like most Mitsu dealerships, replacing the drive battery was probably a pretty big deal and and it definitely was a first for them (no matter what your service writer tells you). I did own 3 Mitsus at one time; maybe being a loyal customer helped. I won't have to buy another vehicle now, and, my 2012 i car in excellent condition will not be taking up space at the local landfill because a new battery is worth 2X what the rest of the car is worth. And my gas-guzzling 3.8L Endeavor will go back to being a weekend dirt-bike hauler (gas in CA is $4+/gallon).

A couple things I might never know is if the pack contained any good cells recovered from similar exchanges. The guy at the counter said that a big carton (or crate?) came and it seemed new but probably only the parts guy knows for sure. Anyway, the range is back to new 60+ miles if I take it easy, but, not better than new (which I didn't expect anyway). I also will not know why it all of the sudden dropped those 4 bars as I didn't see the battery test results (might as when I bring it back for recall work).

Shout-out to Mossy and Sean.

acensor

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Dailydriver wrote:Hello, I own Mitsubishi I-Miev 2012 16 KW.

I live in North County near San Diego. My vehicle stills shows 16-bars, but I'm noticing less distance for same charge. I have to make a decision soon as to replacing the battery or selling it now while I can still get something for it. So my question is after looking online for some time, does Mitsubishi offer battery replacement/upgrade and if they do is there one in San Diego/North County area? I'm hoping your reply will be quicker than spending time at Mitsubishi, they seem to know little about the electric cars they sell. The Auto-parkway dealer in Escondido had a charger put in for customers, but it has never worked as the charging company does not recognize it. Things like that make you wonder.

I'm probably missing something here (in part from jumping in so late), but aren't our battery packs covered for defects(failures other than the "allowable" 30% loss of capacity in 10(?) years 100,000 miles) .... Isn't that "defects" coverage about 8 years and 100,000 miles????

FWIW: We've got only 38,000 miles on our 2012 MiEV (purchased 2013) and seems to have lost a little range.
I used to in my style of driving my terrain feel that will a fall charge I could usually count on seeing 70 miles RR ... 75 not unusual.
These days I pretty much only count on seeing 60 -65 miles RR if I chose to fully charge.)

(By the way... I lived in north county San Diego for 35 years. Del Mar, Fallbrook, etc.)
Alex
{this message posted with 100% post consumer recycled electrons}
SE 2012 white with blue trim, powered by PV (~65%)
2015 Subaru Forester CVT
Two Trek street/trail bicycles optimized for mild around town use

jray3

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Congrats on a good experience, BarryP and Docjr. That $6k quote on a replacement battery is the lowest price I've heard yet, and is certainly within the realm of practicality.
2012 i-SE "MR BEAN" 105,400 miles
2000 Mazda Miata EV, 78 kW, 17 kWh
1983 Grumman Kurbwatt EV,170 kW, 32 kWh
1983 Mazda RX-7 EV 43 kW 10 kWh
1971 "Karmann Eclectric" EV 240 kW 19 kWh
1965 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”