Need a longer range ev

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beespeckled, the Bolt EV very definitely has CCS DCFC as an option. Why Chevy hasn't made it standard is beyond me! Most of the local dealerships spec CCS for the cars they receive. Over the next few years it will become the de facto North American DCFC non-Tesla standard and CHAdeMO will gradually fade into the sunset. Pity, as CHAdeMO offers relatively easy bi-directional power flow. Electrify America is putting in LOTS of CCS stations across the country as part of the VW dieselgate settlement.

beespeckled said:
I know my preference is a roomy easy entrance and exit from vehicle, which despite its size, is very good in the MiEV. I feel like I'm having to fold myself un-naturally in the Subaru Outback and my daughters sedan.
For any vehicle you're going to drive everyday, this is one of the most important things to consider, IMO . . . . especially as you get older. Our iMiEV's have completely spoiled us in this regard. I know if I had to drive my 2017 Volt everyday, I'd be (an even more) broken, disabled old man than I am now!! - I am getting my left hip replaced next month. Folded up unnaturally very well describes getting in and out of that car

Don

Don said:
beespeckled said:
I know my preference is a roomy easy entrance and exit from vehicle, which despite its size, is very good in the MiEV. I feel like I'm having to fold myself un-naturally in the Subaru Outback and my daughters sedan.
For any vehicle you're going to drive everyday, this is one of the most important things to consider, IMO . . . . especially as you get older. Our iMiEV's have completely spoiled us in this regard. I know if I had to drive my 2017 Volt everyday, I'd be (an even more) broken, disabled old man than I am now!! - I am getting my left hip replaced next month. Folded up unnaturally very well describes getting in and out of that car

Don

Don, best wishes on your hip replacement.

ricardos said:
I would advise you to install a solar roof in your car. A solar kit can be installed on virtually any type of car, but it is easiest to convert an electric vehicle to run on solar power. If you intend to use solar panels to power a standard gas-powered car, this will be more complicated.
You can't 'run' an EV on solar panels on the roof unless you've got a HUGE roof. There's nowhere near enough room to mount enough panels to move the car

Even the Fisker Karma which came from the factory with an optional $5K 'solar roof' just used the power from the roof to run fans to cool the inside of the car a bit so as to lessen the need for the car's air conditioning system at start-up and that saved a few hundred yards of range

"Put solar panels on the roof" is an idea that surfaces here from time to time, almost always from a newbie who doesn't yet understand the physics involved in what it takes to power an EV. You need 3 or 4Kw per mile. Two 100 watt solar panels on the roof of your car would be doing very well if they could make 750 watt hours per day, so if the car sat in optimal sun for 4 or 5 days, you could then drive it for about a mile . . . . but the added wind resistance of a home made solar installation could 'cost' you about that much energy due to added wind resistance when driving, so likely you'd gain next to nothing

Don

maybe the reciprocal value? the energy in the pack provides for 3-4 miles per kwh.

The power per mile to drive a car depends upon speed, the faster you go the more power it takes.

I mean solar cars usually run on only power from the sun, although some models will supplement that power using a battery, or use solar panels to recharge batteries or run auxiliary systems for a car that mainly uses battery power.

kiev said:
maybe the reciprocal value? the energy in the pack provides for 3-4 miles per kwh.

Well, duh! Not sure what to blame that one on - Pain meds?? That's it . . . . that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

Don

Back