Shifter starting to have problems

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougC

I've seen others have had this problem, but my shifter is starting cause problems.

It no longer shifts as smooth as it used to, it won't always display the correct position. I have to shift to B twice to get it to take. Not always going into P when it should, which causes the charger not to start, also parking pawl sometimes doesn't engage.

I've done a search here and saw some threads on the topic but still have some questions.

-Has anyone done a DIY fix or swap out of the shifter switch piece?
-I would like to know if this is a task that the home mechanic should try.
-What does the part look like? Anyone have pictures?

I've just downloaded the tech manual from the forum and will take a look at that, once I reboot this computer.

Doug

From what i've read, issues like this were resolved by greasing the linkage at the motor/gearbox end. There are 2 sensors and if they disagree it causes you issues.

Thanks.

I'm surprised to see the shifter is a mechanical linkage from the shift lever to the motor area. I would have thought it would be electrical / fly by wire / CAN

I've now lost my 'B` mode and the other drive modes are not always where the shift lever ways they are.

Hi, all. Been off the forum for a while.

Both of my cars had this issue, as does a friend's i-MiEV. Like others have said, the fix for this is to lubricate the lever coming out of the gearbox that connects to the shifter linkage. Since this is all open to the elements, the bearings dry out over time and cause stiff shifting.

For my cars, I simply used a few drops of engine oil and worked the shifter to loosen everything. With the car on a flat, level surface, apply the parking brake, put a couple drops of oil on the shifter rod coming out of the gearbox as close as you can to the bearing seal on the gearbox, a couple drops in between the black plastic box and the arm, and a drop where the shifter cable attaches to the arm. Then, in the car, apply the foot brake, turn the key to either Accessory or On (don't start the car), and run the shifter end to end several times. You should immediately feel the linkage loosen up. Put the car back in Park, put one more drop of oil in these three locations, then run the shifter from Park to B (or C) and back a few more times. Shifting should be back to normal.

The shifter arm on the gearbox can be accessed pretty easily with the car on the ground.

Thanks PV1!

I'll give that a try. The shifter does feel tight and not moving freely.

I had the car up on jacks and sprayed the area where the cable links to the gear box with WD40 with no improvement. I'll try the oil.

I'm getting the RBS light now too. I've replaced the 12v battery.

I can get the car running normal if I turn on the key to start and immediately shift to B and than back up to D as it is initializing. It only works if I shift up from below. Shifting down doesn't work. This would indicate to me that it is the shifter switches problem many have had.

The RBS light would be caused by the redundant gear switches in the selector box not matching (think being in-between gears). This would go away with lubricating the shifter linkage at the gearbox.

WD40 makes for a decent cleaner, but isn't that great for lubrication. Motor oil penetrates the bearings better and loosens it all up. The problem I have now is that the shifters run so smooth I almost slide into Park when going for Reverse :x .

PV1 said:
The RBS light would be caused by the redundant gear switches in the selector box not matching (think being in-between gears). This would go away with lubricating the shifter linkage at the gearbox.

WD40 makes for a decent cleaner, but isn't that great for lubrication. Motor oil penetrates the bearings better and loosens it all up. The problem I have now is that the shifters run so smooth I almost slide into Park when going for Reverse :x .

Did you lubricate the shift lever end of the shifter cable?

I see a rubber boot over the gear box cable end, is there an adjustment inside there?

I think I'm going to put the car back up on jacks and take the linkage at the gear box apart to clean / lube everything. I live on a dirt road and my cars get coated with the Chloride they put on the road to keep dust down.

PV1 said:
Give me about an hour. I'll post a picture to show where to oil the linkage.

Thanks!

I have the car up and disconnected the cable from the gear box lever. The cable seems to move pretty free. The binding seems to be in the module on the gear box.

I'll unbolt that tomorrow and see if I can free it up more.

I took the 2 bolts out that hold the sensor on the gear box and saw that they are slotted for rotational adjustment. I'm thinking I can adjust this to make the computer happy. I tried adjusting it for a bit, but it was too cold to keep playing. This weekend will be above freezing so I'll try again later. I was able to get 'B' back by adjusting. But still wasn't able to stop the warning lights.

After adjusting the shifter switch, I'm able to get 'B' driving mode back. Man I really missed that.

I still get the check engine light whenever I start the car while in Park. RBS and Turtle mode are now gone. I've found that if I turn the car to start and immediately shift out of Park (before the system initializes and beeps), I do not get the check engine light. It will return if I shift back to Park.

I'm hoping this is just a left over warning from a weak 12volt battery. I did replace it, and had the new one checked to make sure it was good.

I just got the latest recall notice, so I'll take it in to have that done and hope they clear the warning without charging for that. :?

PV1 said:
Hi, all. Been off the forum for a while.

Both of my cars had this issue, as does a friend's i-MiEV. Like others have said, the fix for this is to lubricate the lever coming out of the gearbox that connects to the shifter linkage. Since this is all open to the elements, the bearings dry out over time and cause stiff shifting.

For my cars, I simply used a few drops of engine oil and worked the shifter to loosen everything. With the car on a flat, level surface, apply the parking brake, put a couple drops of oil on the shifter rod coming out of the gearbox as close as you can to the bearing seal on the gearbox, a couple drops in between the black plastic box and the arm, and a drop where the shifter cable attaches to the arm. Then, in the car, apply the foot brake, turn the key to either Accessory or On (don't start the car), and run the shifter end to end several times. You should immediately feel the linkage loosen up. Put the car back in Park, put one more drop of oil in these three locations, then run the shifter from Park to B (or C) and back a few more times. Shifting should be back to normal.

The shifter arm on the gearbox can be accessed pretty easily with the car on the ground.
Thanks PV1. I just tried this myself on my silver I-miev. The shifter worked fine but was getting a little stiff.

I did notice it was easier from the drivers side. :roll: :lol:

Ed

ed5000 said:
Thanks PV1. I just tried this myself on my silver I-miev. The shifter worked fine but was getting a little stiff.

I did notice it was easier from the drivers side. :roll: :lol:

Ed
Wow, this really works. After a day or so of driving around my shifter works like new! :cool:

The other thing I think this car needs now are some new shocks or struts. I'll be looking around here about it.

Back