Got the RBS and car with exclamation mark through it errors.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdysthe

Hi,

Today while driving my 2015 iMiEV suddenly shows a RBS error and a car with an exclamation mark through it. The turtle also came on and the car was slow. I stopped and turned it off and on again and the car ran normally without any errors. Then the errors came back. Same thing, stopped and started again and it ran fine. The car is fully charged. It's very hot weather and we have had a lot of heavy rain. Could that cause this? I have also read that a weak 12v battery in the front can cause this. We have never replaced it. Anyhow, I need to figure this out so I do not be stuck on a longer trip. Any advice and/or suggestions appreciated.

Hi,

My Mom's 2012 i MiEV got these exact lights on a few days ago, and then again today.

The RBS is regenerative braking system. The turtle (which was on earlier) is the creep mode when the battery is super low. She also had the shifter D light blinking slowly, which COULD mean to have the transmission checked.

A lot of different issues, and it seems to NOT happen in reverse. The battery was full the first time it happened, so I wondered if the regen just wasn't able to put power into the battery (cuz' it's full), but now the charge is down a bit. The second time it happened (with the turtle, too) was after a downpour.

This was formerly my brother's car, and he apparently had to have some electrical connections cleaned - they were corroded. So, we will be taking it to the dealer to have it checked out. And we will look at the 12v battery, because that is still original.

That is EXACTLY the problems I am seeing! I forgot to mention that the D, E bars are blinking also. I have tested this some more and it happens after I have driven for 5 to 10 minutes. I then stop, turn the car off and on again and can drive another 5 - 10 minutes. I have been looking for the battery online but it doesn't seem to be something common I can pick up at the parts store. I am not sure I can drive the car to the dealer which is 20 miles away if the car has top be stopped every 5 to 10 minutes, but I guess I will have to. Any idea which "electrical connections" had to be cleaned? I see that you are located in MA, so we have had the same weather hitting us lately. Interesting that you have the same thing happen at the same time I am.

Replace your old worn out and weak 12V Aux battery before you do some real damage, such as having it fail during charging and taking out the On-Board Chargger, a very expen$ive item. It may seem to be okay, but they do wear out and losing the 12V is catastrophic in an EV. A gasoline car doesn't matter so much, but this is a different situation, don't mess around.

kiev said:
Replace your old worn out and weak 12V Aux battery before you do some real damage, such as having it fail during charging and taking out the On-Board Chargger, a very expen$ive item. It may seem to be okay, but they do wear out and losing the 12V is catastrophic in an EV. A gasoline car doesn't matter so much, but this is a different situation, don't mess around.

So exactly what should I do while I wait for the replacement battery? Unplug the car? Not drive it? Anything else?

It's a regular 12V battery available at any parts store or wallmert, type 151, same size used in mazda miata.

Hot weather may aggravate a weak battery situation. You may be able to chargge it up with a regular 12V battery chargger in order to drive to get a new one.

The OEM has fill ports to check and add water, but if it has depleted electrolyte and exposed the tops of the cells then it is usually too late to do any good.

kiev said:
It's a regular 12V battery available at any parts store or wallmert, type 151, same size used in mazda miata.

Hot weather may aggravate a weak battery situation. You may be able to chargge it up with a regular 12V battery chargger in order to drive to get a new one.

The OEM has fill ports to check and add water, but if it has depleted electrolyte and exposed the tops of the cells then it is usually too late to do any good.

I ordered one on Amazon.com last night. I will have it tomorrow. Got this one: https://is.gd/OhzCeg
I hope that's the correct one.

The error appears after 5-10 minutes of driving, and now it's every time.

Update on my Mom's i MiEV - this didn't happen in reverse, and then happened when it was put in Drive. The dealer diagnosed it as a problem with a small gear which engages Drive - I will clarify this if I can.

looks like I have the same problem and I live with that - try to drive in B mode.
If there are problems when shifting between D B C N R P then I blame gearshift linkage shaft in gearbox.
I guess there are sensor in gearshift, and sensor near gearbox, and if linkage is worn out by rusted shaft, then those both shift position sensors mismatch!

Sorry for my english! ;)

Got the replacement 12v battery. Didn't fit perfectly so had to add some pieces of wood below the battery to be able to fasten the harness again. But the RBS error and turtle is back. So i guess i have to get it to the dealer unless someone has a brilliant idea.

I think the problem is in the "shifter". My brother, who owned the car my Mom has, said that he had to have some corroded / intermittent contacts in the "shifter" fixed. Because, it is an electronic control - there is no mechanical linkage to the "transmission"; which is a one-speed reduction gear.

This also can prevent the car from being charged, because it doesn't "know" it is in Park.

The dealer charged my Mom about $250 to fix the issue in the "shifter". It is not the 12v battery, in our case.

I have found a "workaround" until I get this looked at by the dealer. If I drive in "B" the error never appears. Wouldn't that mean it has to do with the gear shifter? Ajnyhow, that makes it possible to get he car to the dealer without having to have it towed.

Just to add to this issue - i've seen this before.

The "gearbox" has 2 sensors, both have to agree for the car to be happy to drive. The sensors tell the car what gear it is in, if they differ then you get these kind of issues.

First try can be to lubricate the mechanism by the gearbox, if that doesnt work then it may need repair to the linkages.

The good news is its a safety mechanism to make sure it is fully in gear.

Thanks all.

Back