Aftermarket Wheels

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the rotors, pads and extended studs installed on the front wheels yesterday. No issues with fitment and they only charged me C$150 for the entire job which I consider to be a bargain. They couldn't fit the factory hub caps back on after because the studs are so long! I'm going to leave it like this until spring when I have the Mini wheels mounted and can make sure I have enough thread before cutting them back. Guy at the shop told me it "looks like a race car" lol

Dd8GiVI.jpg

pluto said:
Melloyello you mentioned in in the other thread something about cutting the studs down to 60mm to fit them on the rear because of the backing plate, yet the studs I have are 50mm. I'm a bit confused, do they need to be cut down more or not?
The first picture on that post shows the oem stud vs the aftermarket stud after cutting vs before cutting. You can get a pretty good idea of the length from that. I think some of the confusion comes from whether the specified length is for the entire stud or just for the threads. The oem studs are about 45mm total length and the aftermarket studs are about 75mm total length, 50mm of which are just the threads. I had to cut mine down to about 60mm total length.

Rockauto seems to carry oem size studs, with measurements here: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1060111&cc=3340903&jsn=369
and the extended studs ebay listing shows measurements on the fourth photo.

Hi, first post here, great forum.

I have the opportunity to buy aluminum wheels/rims that come from a 2007 Mitsubishi i (the car that the i-MiEV is based on). They're 15x4J35 and 15x5J35, just like it says in my car documents, and have four holes.

Am I right to assume that these will fit my i-MiEV?

Probably - The sizes and the offsets are correct. The only thing that could possibly trip you up is the iMiEV wheels have different centerbores, front to rear. Maybe the 2007 Mitsu does too?

Don

Thanks, I didn't know this. In fact, I didn't even know something like a 'centre bore' existed. :cool:

Well, if the i-wheels aren't the same as the MiEV-wheels, but for instance are all 56.1 mm, it should be possible to use a ring for the front wheels. If they're all 54.1 mm, however, I'd need to find a way to make the centre bore of the two rear wheels bigger.

Complicated!

On the iMiEV, the front spindles have a pressed on steel collar whose only function it to make sure some idiot doesn't try bolting a rear wheel on the front - The collar makes the front centerbore need to be larger than it is for the rear wheels

If the I wheels you buy all have the smaller centerbore, you can pull that collar off the front spindles - They are just pressed in. Once the collar is removed, the smaller centerbore wheels will fit. Drilling a pair of small holes in the collars so you can stick a small phillips screwdriver through the holes gives you something to yank on to pull the collars off. They just tap back on with a mallet if you need to put them back on. If you're the only one removing and reinstalling the wheels on your car, there's no reason to put them back on. I think they're just there to prevent someone unfamiliar with the car from bolting a rear wheel on the front . . . . the wheel wouldn't turn anyway if someone did, but tire store employees aren't always that observant . . . .

Don

So, it's 54.1 for the rear wheels and 56.1 for the front wheels? I assumed it was the other way round because the rear wheels are larger.

It makes sense Mitsubishi has done it this way, given the different wheel sizes.

I'm negotiating the price for the wheels right now. If I can settle with the seller, I'll ask if they can measure the centre bores. Just to be sure, but I have a hunch the centre bore sizes are different for front and rear.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yes, fronts are larger

You can see the steel collar on the photo at the top of this page - It's a little rusty on that car, but you can see that if that collar was removed, a wheel with most any centerbore size would bolt on the front

My 5" wide Mini wheels fit the front, but anything wider will hit the strut. Mine clear it by less than 1/4 inch

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4132

Don

One last question, silly perhaps, but how much does one such wheel weigh approximately?

edit: Never mind, I asked because the seller was asking a steep price for delivery, and so I tried to figure out what the parcel would cost. But the seller has accepted my second offer, so it's irrelevant now.

BTW, I checked some pictures of older i-MiEVs and the wheels look exactly like the ones I'm buying.

The wheels arrived and... drum roll ... the centre bores are 54.1 (rear) and 56.1 (front) mm! I'll be darned if they don't fit on the i-MiEV.

Neven said:
One last question, silly perhaps, but how much does one such wheel weigh approximately?
Allow me to answer my own silly question. Front wheel is 7.08 kg (15.61 lbs) and the rear wheel is 7.31 kg (16.12 lbs).

That's for this original Mitsubishi alloy wheel used for the Mitsubishi i (gas version) and early i-MiEV (mine are from 2007):

1802161000467s0.jpg

640px-Dortmund_iMiEV_charging.jpg

I'm located in Austria, and thanks for a great forum (did a lot of research here when contemplating buying our i-MiEV).

Great find!! Those are much nicer looking wheels (IMO) than the factory alloys that came on the North American version of the iMiEV

Don

Don said:
Great find!! Those are much nicer looking wheels (IMO) than the factory alloys that came on the North American version of the iMiEV

Don
Are these the factory alloys for the NA version?

mitsubishi_miev_wheel_lg.jpg

That's what was on my i-MiEV from 2017 when I bought it back in November, with all-season tires. I want an extra set with more efficient summer tires, which is why I went looking for wheels. I was extremely lucky to find those alloy wheels on eBay in Germany, because it's not easy to find wheels for the i-MiEV, especially the 15X4. Alloys, new, are very expensive.

They do have a lot of curb rash on them, so I'll try and clear some of it up before the tires go on.

Yes, those are the stock alloy wheels for the 2012 North American SE and SE Premium editions of the iMiEV. The ES model came with steel wheels and plastic wheel covers

Don

Hi Folks,

Cool thread!
I had been planning on buying a spare wheel and tire.
Now I know about the inside wheel diameter issue, and
that our 2008 Honda Fit spare will likely work on Maeve.
Am going to jack her up and test fit.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Hi,

I decided to put some 15x5 Yaris/Prius C wheels on mine. The specs are:

Size: 15x5 ET38
Centre Bore: 54.1 (one pair needed to be honed out to 56.1 to suit the front)

The part number is PZ406B067BZS, still available new from Toyota dealers.

I added 165/60R15 tyres on the front and 185/55R15 tyres on the back, both around 2% above stock diameter.

They look like this on...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7nq98P92y5nyqQ7Y6

Jamie

Tire Rack is listing some apparently correctly-sized alloys that look similar to the ones Nevin found. $165 apiece, the Radius W061 https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W061540410035S&wheelMake=RADIUS&wheelModel=W061&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&showRear=yes&selectedRear=W061550410035S&autoMake=Mitsubishi&autoModel=i-MiEV&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=ES

Looks like Tire Rack now has those Radius W061 wheels listed as "discontinued", and has their remaining stock 30% off.

Back